What do I do with a yearling?

I agree with Horse Whisp3r3r, We had a young colt, at 2 he was getting above himself and being a brat. We had to old matriarchal mares, both barren and a right pair of old bags when it came to manners.

We made him spend the summer with them!.........he came back a much nicer person, one or two little bruises, physical as well as ones on his ego ;) ;)

jessica - There isn't a narrow world of riders between those who do NH and riders who smack/tap their horses! I just believe in what I see is a better way, but I understand your point :)

xxxxx

i have a 19 month yearling and she is what some would call 'highly strung'. To counteract this (because she boils her brains over nothing!) we do as little as possible with her with one major exception - she got put in with my older mare and my gelding who do not let her get away with ANYTHING! they teach her to respect her elders and to get out of their way although they do groom her and also protect her. Since being out with them she is a much sweeter pony with far less issues. I am planning on not doing anything with her this winter apart from bringing her in maybe once a week, picking her feet up and giving a groom. My believe the same as my friend who has his own stud - if they are taught the basics as foals walk, pick up feet, brush, then if you turn them away they should just remember. A good way iof looking at it is if you ever remember learning to ride a bike as a child, you can go many many many years without riding a bike but if you do get on one again there may be a fe3w wobbles but you will still remember HOW. i think its the same with foals......my methos is the same method i have with my children.......learn a little, play a lot, learn a bit more, play a bit more.

the company of older hroses is so important to teach manners to youngsters; they are excellent role models and almost do the 'dirty work' for you ... :)

xx

One of our foals has been out with the stallion all summer. He has completely failed to instill manners in her; good ol' Mr Pipe-And-Slippers has put up with her bouncing all over him, eating his tail, standing on him as he sunbathes and generally making a total pain of herself without blinking an eyelid.

She's in with Gelfy now who makes a fantastic nanny, bless him; youngsters must behave themselves, he says!

We had a young colt, at 2 he was getting above himself and being a brat. We had to old matriarchal mares, both barren and a right pair of old bags when it came to manners.;)

Those dear matriarchal mares are the best teachers Wally, they are worth there weight in gold when you have a bunch of young hooligans lol

Stallions usually ignore the bolshy youngsters Chev, there was a stallion where I used to work which was incredibly dangerous if you were human. To see him with the youngsters they used to kick seven types of you know what out of him, he couldn't teach them to catch a cold bless him.

Last edited:
AS long as you are leasing him in, and out, he ties up to be groomed and his feet handled leave him alone to grow up. Do too much too soon and you'll spoil him.

I leave mine alone in the fields to play. All they need to learn is to tie up, lead and have their feet done. Loading into a lorry comes in handy too.

They don't get a bit in their mouth until 2, only if they are to be shown and are entire, otherwise they get bitted at 3 and a half four years old. There is no rush to bit a yearling gelding.
I currently lease a horse a yearling gelding has been put in her heard. His rude behavior escalated every time I enter the pasture to get her out he will crowd me when I push his shoulder to ask for space he pushes back against me so hard it's impossible to not move back so he continues if you walk away he follows you pushing into you from behind when I turn to tell him he is not welcome in my space he attempts to bite or shake his head run a few steps bucking and comes right back so I brought a lunging whip with me hoping to make him keep his distance when he started towards me I loudly said his name told him back and swung the whip in his direction he Just kept coming at me biting the whip ran in a circle around me extremely close when he ran by then went for a second run at me when finally the horse highest on the pecking order chased him around the pasture twice he then stood in front of the gate not allowing me to get out until my 12 year old daughter caught his attention on the outside with a treat allowing me to get out I was terrified the barn owner sald she won't move him he is learning pack dynamics it's a baby thing and who he is please help

I currently lease a horse a yearling gelding has been put in her heard. His rude behavior escalated every time I enter the pasture to get her out he will crowd me when I push his shoulder to ask for space he pushes back against me so hard it's impossible to not move back so he continues if you walk away he follows you pushing into you from behind when I turn to tell him he is not welcome in my space he attempts to bite or shake his head run a few steps bucking and comes right back so I brought a lunging whip with me hoping to make him keep his distance when he started towards me I loudly said his name told him back and swung the whip in his direction he Just kept coming at me biting the whip ran in a circle around me extremely close when he ran by then went for a second run at me when finally the horse highest on the pecking order chased him around the pasture twice he then stood in front of the gate not allowing me to get out until my 12 year old daughter caught his attention on the outside with a treat allowing me to get out I was terrified the barn owner sald she won't move him he is learning pack dynamics it's a baby thing and who he is please help
What does the owner of the gelding suggest you do? If they aren’t helpful, I would carry a schooling whip or headcollar and swish it his way if he gets pushy or bitey, if he keeps coming into your space keep driving him back out, with babies you often need to repeat it a lot. And I absolutely would never give him a treat, that will just make him worse.

Get the barn owner to come and help you, she'll either be able to deal with him and show you how to or she'll see the level of the problem and move either him or your horse. As @Jessey said do not use food as a bribe, it will encourage him to come every time and you also risk starting fights in the herd.

Is he gelded yet? As a yearling he could have dropped and if that's the case running him with mares whose owners don't want foals is risky.

Why are you leasing a yearling.
Go and get something that's is already educated that you and your daughter can both enjoy. Leave him to be a yearling.

newrider.com