What do you feed your oldies?

The little 30 something Welsh a at the hall last winter really needed weight in and had no teeth. They settled on grass nuts and micronised linseed and she actually ended up looking a little too well! Her coat was also very good for her and she was generally a picture of health. She was given 4 times a day simply because she couldn't eat grass or hay and it was a hefty bucket each time,certainly wouldn't need that much if they still manage forage.

Lol! Well the grass nuts and micronised linseed certainly worked very well and a small amount went along way,I think they bought 3 bags of grass nuts and one 20kg bag of linseed,tatalled about £50-60 and it lasted all winter with grass nuts still left at the end.

Chloe is 23 and has just started to lose a wee bit of condition - I've given her our feed merchants own brand of hi fibre nuts and from Wednesday this week she'll be having speedi beet too. She is perfect weight wise, but because they are both out now more or less 24/7 I need to make sure she doesn't miss out. I won't be putting hay out as madam will wolf the lot and does not need it. However, when they come in for me to ride Storm,
Chloe gets a net of hayledge. I can tell this past couple of weeks she has dropped a little and also is very hungry - she isn't a greedy girl either so that's why I'll be giving her a little more at breakfast and tea.

You want micronised linseed and much cheaper buying a 20kg bag. It's good for weight gain,coat,skin,joints,digestion. It's a great feed. Also suitable for ppid ems etc as it essential safe fats :) how much you feed varies the effect, usually between 50-200g depending what you want from it :)

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I will double check the bag tonight at the hall as I just ordered them a new one from thunderbrooks. They do charnwood mill which is the best known and if you enter barefoot at check out you get a discount, it works out the cheapest with delivery through them :) I don't buy it on its own now as it's in Nealas base mix already and can't remember off the top of my head what's on the bag [emoji15]

The 31 yr old tb in our who needs to keep the weight on gets top spec balancer, cool conditioning cubes, small amount of fast fibre, micronised linseed and happy hoof (although the happy hoof is just because its a short chop chaff for her teeth more than any nutritional benefit over other chaffs)

Yes always soak my grass nuts, my boy did choke on unsoaked grass nuts that I put in his feed ball to stop him trying to escape his field, so always soak them now. They don't need very long and I use either cold water or hot water from the kettle that makes them quicker.

I got my linseed from farm and pet, they stocked grass nuts and linseed, and the linseed was about £20, but lasted 5 horses all winter, I just did a cupful in their feed.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I can't feed them soaked as she won't eat them, I tend to put in a handful to a chaff like safe and sound and thats all.

When I start with the speedi beet later on in winter I will add them in then. Have ordered some linseed though, she is so fussy I hope she eats it!

My old lad isn't a fan of wet stuff, but loves his grass nuts. I just put enough water in to make sure they have 'pulped up' but they are still quite firm.

she is one of those batty old ladies that wont accept she needs anything slightly mushy.. so wont eat it, only time she will is if there is some beet going, but only if the grass has gone off completely... so many rules... but will try it out in dec/jan

newrider.com