• buying a hosre - Trainer backed

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Buying a horse - Home backed

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I am just interested in what people would prefer to do, firstly if you had your own horse that needed breaking/backing and secondly if you were buying a horse, would you prefer if he was backed by a 'trainer' or 'home backed'?

J

Well I did a bit of both with my filly.

I did all of her basic groundwork, walking out, long lining and eventually lunging.
I backed her and hacked her out and did basic schooling, circles, turns, halt- walk-trot transitions and introduced canter and pole work. Once we were able to do all of that she was turned away. Following summer I redid it all again and introduced asking for her to start going on the bit and did a little bit of jumping over natural obstacles.
That winter (rising 5) she went to a trainer for a bit of a polish and further education. Establishing good paces and outline in all gaits, starting lateral work ridden, jumping coloured obstacles etc.

Having dealt with monster tantrums when I got her home, If I had the time again I probably would have preferred to do the work myself and had twice weekly lessons with her instead of sending her away for 6 weeks.

Assuming I had enough expertise or help to call on I'd go for a home backing. I think sending them away somewhere, especially if it's the first time they've ever been somewhere different must be pretty traumatic for them. They've no way of knowing they're ever going to see home again.

I'd have no preference for a home backed or professionally backed horse so long as it had been done correctly and sympathetically.

If I had the experience I would go for home backing with expert back up :)

I would LOVE to be in a position to bring on a foal and to be there throughout it's education but, unfortunately, I am not in a position to do so either from an experience point of view, financial OR time wise :(

If I ever have another horse I want an unbacked youngster.

I've spent so much time fixing problems that came with Bebe and it's much harder to correct a problem than it is to just do it the right way around first time.

I'd need some help, but have a team of experienced friends whom I trust that would give me any extra help I needed.

when i got my horse, i specifically set out to get an older horse (mine is 13 now!), not a youngster (it being my first horse and me not having the experience and skill required for a youngster). i found out since then that my pony was 'home-backed' by the lady who had her when she was a little pony-baby :D

i think her initial backing/training must have been very good (she is generally well-behaved, bombproof and 100% to handle, with farrier etc), but pony seems to have forgotten a couple of things over the years (had quite a few different homes and was mainly hacked by kids etc.) :rolleyes:

julia
x

Its really interesting to see what people say, I broke Qaboos myself (having loaned a miriad of horses with problems that could have been solved very easily early on) and even then we had our fair share of hitches, but in the end a nice horse and great satisfaction from it. There are definatly things I will do differently with my filly next year. I was just pondering if people thought a home broke horse would end up better off for being taken slowly through the whole process compared to a trainer broke horse who would maybe have been pushed?

Larri - I really like the way you did yours, guess its the best of both worlds.

J

my next horse will be an unbroken youngster. i got both mine when they were just backed (both broken at dealers yards) and they had been started well, but i'd rather do it myself, then i know its been done correctly. i was advised to send my horse away for schooling not long after i'd got him but refused. i don't think our bond would have been as strong if i'd sent him to someone else.

newrider.com