What is it with some geldings?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I don't think I've ever met a mare like it, but why is it with some gelding's just everything has to go in their mouth o_O My new set up is lovely with Jess around, she pokes her head in the shed door to see if a treat/feed might be forthcoming but doesn't fuss if there isn't and she won't mess with anything. Hank on the other hand is a pain in the back side, at the weekend he tipped a bucket of water (in there for making up feeds) all over the floor inside the shed, he nicks anything within reach (my grooming kit rack is just inside the door :cool:), goes into the shed and last night he's taken the lid of my little BBQ stored in the barn and peeled the rubber grippy mat off my mounting block steps, I know it was him as he'd done one step overnight then did the other right in front of me this morning :eek::mad: I cannot leave anything in reach if I don't want it destroyed :(

Bo used to be the same, I used to have to padlock gates or he'd let himself out of the field just for fun :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have got to say that in my experience it is mares who are the night mares, my boys are curious but not destructive. But whatever the sex of the horse it can be a right pain!

Reactions: Jessey
Hank just sounds like a mini Marley....I can't leave anything about with him, he even bit off the handle on my tack room door, I thought it was metal but obviously not, he also bit in half my trimmer's brand new rasp :eek: but wee Rummy will sniff things etc but is never destructive...so not all geldings it seems are like Hank and Marley :rolleyes:

I'd never thought of it as being gender specific, but actually all the 'destructive' horses on the yard (the ones that can't stop fiddling with things) are all boys. Maybe they're similar to human little girls and boys. When my children were little we attended lots of parties etc. The girls would want to play the party games, whereas the boys would be running about play fighting by the end of the party.

Last week I went to fetch in a friend's gelding (one of the 'special' ones) and found him wandering about the field carrying a large stick in his mouth. He sometimes rearranges the electric fence too - he doesn't go through it, just pulls the tape about, and no-one can work out how he does it.

I was once told its because they are boys, as in studs will bite the mares neck so its more in built for them to get things in their mouth than with mares, and when they are cut later it is more apparent, Bo wasn't cut until he was nearly 6 and Hank we think was 4 when my friend had him done........

Our Joe used to be megga destructive / inquisitive. He would systemstically pick brushes up and bite them and then fling as far away as possible. He ate copious amounts of stable door and fence and would eat / chew any feed bins within reach. Zippers and buttons on clothing were a speciality and once comedy style he grabbed OH's drawstring waisted fleece toggle. Pulled and pulled and pulled on it and it pinged right back at him:phe was most afronted!!!!!
Chloe is quite destructive in her own way but does not mean it, she is just happy exploring......:p:D

Reactions: Jessey and joellie
Stella was like that. Kia won't touch anything unless it's got feed in it or hay in it and he's hungry. He's very polite that way. If it has a lid on it he won't touch it.

Stella in the other hand was I to everything she was a pain in the ass!!

Neala was like this and she was a mare, i could not leave a damn thing anywhere ir it woukd be desteoyed. She also i vestigayed everything with mouth and feet, the desteucyion at times was heart breaking!

Geldings though do seem to be more mouthy and as you say Jessey thay is a male trait but its not always a given.

Torin like to chew things amd generally move things around, i had thought that was a shetland thing though rather than a male :rolleyes:

Now Tigger my pet lamb however is by far the worse, i do not know if its a tup thing,sheep tbing or just a Togger thing but amything and i kean anythi g ks dair game to him, from tents to toilet paper to cutlery you just cant leave amything if you dont want it fully inspected and/or desteoyed by a sheep :rolleyes:

I think it's just character and not gender. We moved paddocks and I was concerned that the guests had their towels and clothes drying on the fence. Would mine eat them! Nope. But she got moved for another reason the next day. She is an easy cob until she isn't. :D :oops:

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com