What is 'setting fair' in the stable

I always understood Setting Fair to sort of be the last check of the morning/afternoon to make sure everything was in order, that the yard was tidy, everything put away etc etc. Not sure if that is right though!

I thought it was putting the bed down (presupposing you had banked the bed up to let the floor dry and ventilate the stable generally) and settling the horse in for the night, ie checking his rugs weren't rubbing or hadn't slipped, putting in the night time haynet, doing a last skip out (if the bed was already down) etc. I guess it more or less means putting the horse to bed on your last visit of the day.

Why, in the name of everything sacred are they still using medaevil language in horse work?????

Setting fair means leaving the yard tidy! The sooner this out dated speak was consigned to the bin the better.

:( :( :( :(

Okay know it, but who speaks like that now?

I get feedback from folk who object to the horseworld speaking like this as it is EXCLUSIVE to those who are just starting out, it is bemusing and, I think, rude as it makes folk unable to understand.

If I say Check the horse's near, fore hoof, they have to stop and think about it, if I say have a look at his front, left foot you can go there quickly and get on with the job.

Horses have a bad image as it is in the eyes of Joe public without keeping up with silly terms. Set fair????, when I yell at my 13 yo son to tidy his bedroom, I don't tell him to set it fair! "tidy your ruddy bedroom up you little tyke!" there no romm for misunderstandings there! :D :D :D

Ah but there are many occupations and pastimes/hobbies that have their own sayings and language. Sailing is another one, with terms like 'harden your mainsheet', 'starboard your helm' etc, they are traditional and come from way back, like the terms used in horseriding. It is not valid to change the entire esoteria just because beginners might find it confusing, it's all part of it, and people enjoy learning it just as much as doing it. It would be a shallow and less rewarding engagement if we had to modernise the terms to common language just to satisfy a few critics.

Interesting point Tim, but...you could argue that it depends on how open-minded those people are, & maybe some areas are more resistant to change. In nursing, we were told off for hiding in medi-speak, in case of misunderstanding by both professionals and patients. And as for yachting, maybe that's why some of us escaped and fled happily back to horses... ;-) Ready about, lee-ooh!

Yeah, the mutiny on the Bounty might never have happened!

Frances' man is the nicest chap you could wish to meet, ....on land....ask Frances what he's like sailing! Capt'n Fletcher, giving out a lick of the cat to everyone! :D :D ;)

Darn, much as it galls me to do this.. I'm in agreement with Tim:eek:

I never did the 'pony club' thing, never studied anything the BHS way, but I still 'skip out', 'quarter the horses' and 'set fair' at the end of the day....

Call me old fashioned, but I like 'our language' and I'm far more likely to learn something PROPERLY if I have to look up a couple of terms... but I do say left/right fore/hind though, can't be doing with the nearside/offside thing, couldn't ever make much sense of it!;)

Oh, and as a nurse, I can relate to Bec's being told off for hiding behind medi-speak and confusing people, and much as I try not to do it, I'm still found guilty of confusing patients, other professionals and relatives with abbreviations and the like at least once a week!

Still, I'm not obsessive, I only skip out QDS, set fair OD and quarter the horses PRN;)

Ok, where is the dictionary?
I understand mucking-out, but what is skipping-out and quartering the horse?
I find the term "setting fair" quite charming espeically since I communicate in "American" English.
In fact, I share your quips and comments with my friends because the are so civilized!

Quartering - showing a horse a brush and making him think he's been groomed! :D

Strapping- making a load of dust in your stable by brushing the horse to within an inch of his life......only for him to roll when you put him back out! :D :D

Skipping out-removing poos as fast as the horse produces them for you in his stable! :)

Oh there are loads of them,

I still use offside/nearside - in relation to the wheels/sides of the car, as well as the horse and her feet.

Every walk of life has its own language and translating it is sometimes difficult, but no reason why the terms should be changed because people who aren't into whatever it is don't understand it.

That's brilliant Hairy Cob, very funny.

Now you make me realise what a sad soul I am - with memory loss (it all went at 40) I have to keep a pony diary, or I forget from one year to the next how I coped with their various crises...well, the diary probably reads like a nursing care plan/notes , eg has PU - NAD, BO (during colic), cream applied BD for 14/7, calm nocte etc. No hope eh?

Not saying they should be changed I always use near and off when driving, but when I am teaching I use left and right and interchange it as much as possible so folk aren't daunted, What I object to is certain walks of equestrian life using it to the exclusion of learners and NOT explaining themselves.

If I taught folk in entirely equine terms they'd get nowhere except mind boggled.

He he have to agree with Wally. Give me the good english of left and right. Although I can skip out and muck out. I groom the horse not quarter it. Would hate to tell Charlie to uarter the horse. It's been bad enough telling her her raidiator in her room needs bleeding. The looks I get. In fact she has asked me to stop saying it. Can just imagine the tears when I tell her to quarter the horse :D

artemis said:
That's all very well, but I never remember which is right & which is left:D When I was learning to drive I had to write a large L & R on my hands.

I've still got L and R on my Wellies...:D

artemis I used to hvae that trouble when learning to drive Copz (owned now by Jennj on here) before Jenn bought him. Susan would tell me to right and I'd go left. since driving Rhi I'v learnt my left and right

newrider.com