What is 'setting fair' in the stable

You may not have met it Tim but I have certainly encountered it. And it is very off-putting for adult novices sometimes - I know when Stephen started riding again 5 or 6 years ago now he was mocked something rotten by hoards of small girls when he wasn't familiar with some of the horsey terms and felt awkward asking, he had me to translate as I was brought up on good pny club jargon but I have met other adult novices who felt very intimidated by it. Obviously that is partly a yard issue, but while I like some of the traditions I see nothing wrong with a bit of plain English too.

Smoore you are actually right that is the definition of quartering. The quick brushover ,hoof clean, eyes nose dock while keeping horse warm lifting quarter of the rug at a time.

Now don't start me off or you will all have definitions of strapping, banging and various other archaic terms!

Old me..no just like history ( I collect old horse text books and am fascinated by how our relationship with horses change.)

So my good man, jump on the "tiger" seat, after checking the "5th wheel" Make sure the horse you have "put to" works in "all gears". Are all the "mountings" clean?

Make sure you have put the "lazy wheeler" in his corret position, But you'll know where that is naturally? As will you know where to put the "swing pair" And watch those "floating leaders"

You are not an acomplished driver, as I see you use "pinned ribbons" And a "Frog" and you are constantly "ringing the bells"

Have you checked the "futchels" after changing to the "splinter bar"? Have you put the "whipple tree" away? Now to make things easier we will have the team "short harnessed" toady.

Don't forget to "stamp the footboard" when you use the "Short Tommy" it will save you time later on.

Would you like a driving lesson??? :D :D :D Plenty of folk know of what I speaK!

My fave sport is private driving. It is a test of your historical knowledge coupled with turnout and training traditions. Immaculate turnout, manners and correct traditional, historical turnout......but this is not the be all and end all of driving. Driving has moved on, far more than riding, many more ideas and techniques have been embraced and encorporated into the many facets of the sport. A BDT driver probably wont have a clue about what I posted earlier, and why should they? it does not concern them.

Tim said:
That's a fair point and gives a dimension to your argument. I think, if you apply it to just such occasions it wouldn't go wrong, but in general and with 'regular' horse people it is better to keep tradition. If a given person is 'just having a go' at horse riding then all is well with the world.
If all walks of life kept with tradition men in evening dress would still be dispensing mist. nux. and all patients would have an enema daily. In my work world POP posterior occipital presentation, of a baby, or Plaster of Paris, of a broken leg, to name but two meanings of POP, or to the man in the street, POP is a non PC, there I go again:D :D :D , carbonated drink! Lets speak English. left rein =anti clockwise, right rein = clockwise.
If a given person is having a go at riding how does do they feel if the language about them is incomprehensible? How much incentive do they have to keep having a go.
GGGGGGRRRRRR!!!!!

We will have to agree to disagree, I don't think that changing the vocabulary will change the image or include any more people than are currently being drawn in. I will leave this conversation with full respect for your views and hope that is reciprocated.

Wally said:
So my good man, jump on the "tiger" seat, after checking the "5th wheel" Make sure the horse you have "put to" works in "all gears". Are all the "mountings" clean?

Make sure you have put the "lazy wheeler" in his corret position, But you'll know where that is naturally? As will you know where to put the "swing pair" And watch those "floating leaders"

You are not an acomplished driver, as I see you use "pinned ribbons" And a "Frog" and you are constantly "ringing the bells"

Have you checked the "futchels" after changing to the "splinter bar"? Have you put the "whipple tree" away? Now to make things easier we will have the team "short harnessed" toady.

Don't forget to "stamp the footboard" when you use the "Short Tommy" it will save you time later on.

Would you like a driving lesson??? :D :D :D Plenty of folk know of what I speaK!

As I don't drive, many of these expressions are unknown to me but I don't feel that you are being elitist in using them. After all, I have a tongue in my head and am quite capable of asking for a translation. If you were teaching me to drive I would expect you to say the equivalent of "This is what we are going to do now and the correct term for it is...." and I wouldn't feel that you were patronising me or excluding me. I would love to learn to drive the WH but the only local teacher is swamped with pupils.

Too much dumbing down going on in everyday life without us doing it.

Last edited:
Well, I think I'll continue to set fair, tack up, strap my horse, quarter him and use stirrups, bridles, saddles,send for the Farrier when his feet need trimming and I'll refrain from calling the vet "the animal doctor" (possibly that should be "the (wo)man who makes my horse better when he's poorly" rather than an elitist term like "doctor").

:) Sorry, Wally, only teasing!

newrider.com