what shall i add?

*Solo's Mum*

Solo and Bella
May 21, 2006
"Sunny" Swindon
Bella seems to be dropping a little weight, shes not bad but i dont want her losing any more.

She is turned out everyday in an ample sized field is always warmly rugged, she comes in at night and has a feed of
1 scoop just grass
1 1/2 scoop mollichaff calmer
2 scoops pink powder
3 scoops biotin
1 scoop mint [make it interesting]
a splash of Cider Vinger
and some fibre beet [warm]

what else can i add that will keep weight on her but NO ENERGY!!! no energy is IMPERITIVE :)

xx

you dont need the mollichaf calmer, no point in feeding it if your feeding ready grass.

rather than all the supplements look for a good alround min and vit supplement, as it will provide the same.

im liking the higfibre diet, it doesnt heat them up, but is workign really well at putting weight on,. ive used the high fibre nuts on 2 horses now and the difference in a couple off weeks is really good.

high fibre was my term of feeding, basically my horses get..

high fibre nuts,
hi fi lite.
gizmo has sugarbeet.

if hes out hes fed twice a day, if hes in hes fed 3 times aday.

i use dodson and horrell nuts, they contain all needed min and vits, and are non heating.

fibre is the most natural thing you can feed to a horse, and personally i not a lover of mixes.. i try and keep my horses on sugar free diets.

like others have said look at increasing the bulk in her diet, so whatever form of chaff you use, beet (but be careful as to much can sometimes heat them) or how about putting hay out in the field if its looking a bit bare?

If you want something specifically fibre based, Simple Systems do a really wide range.

I don't think you want to add anything, replace and increase maybe, but that's already quite a lot to be mixing in.

When Kai drops weight over winter I add build up cubes ( 1 scoop twice daily). They never fizzed him up, but I guess each horse is different :)

Don't shoot me down! Perhaps a little handful of Bluechip if it doesn't turn her crazy? Worked amazingly on mine and didn't heat him up but I've heard from others that it adversely affected their horse's temperament.

thanks everyone for the replies, we looked into simple systems last year and thought it might be too expensive. :eek:
have taken what everyone has said into account and will discuss with my mum later.

Alfalfa - Full of protein and fibre and adds lots of bulk to the feed.

I fed cherry it and then had to take her off it cos she put on too much weight :rolleyes:

we had her on alfa a last year, she got abit crazy on it.
is alfalfa the same sorta thing.
would prefer to stay away from mix if possible but am def willin to try sorta thing but no energy. dont even want to risk anything like it. my confidence is scarce already :eek:
xx

When my old girl dropped weight I increased her Fibrebeet and added linseed oil - put weight on quickly but not too quickly and I didn't notice any change in energy levels but don't know what anyone else's experience of linseed oil is.

Oil. Provides additional calories without hyping them up. Any oil will do - veg, corn, linseed (I also feed this, has Omega 3 which also helps skin/coat)

newrider.com