What should I wear for cross country?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I am entering my first ever cross country comp. in a couple of weeks and I am unsure what I should be wearing. Do you wear rugby like shirts and where do I get them from? Should I be matching my top to my hat silk? Should the saddle pad match my top as well? Help!!!

You can get posh matching stuff if you want (you can get body protectors as well as hat silks, tops, numnahs and all sorts of horse clothing made to your 'colours'), but you can really wear what you like. You can wear a T shirt, rugby shirt, polo shirt...whatever. The rules used to be that you needed long sleeves but I haven't been anywhere in a while where that's been the case. I use a plain black top, numnah, BP & hat silk so I guess it looks pretty co-ordinated but I have xc'd in some pretty random colour combinations in the past. As long as you have a BP & a hat that are of the correct spec I don't think anyone will be bothered. Just check whether you need a medical arm band before you go, some unaffiliated xc's are insisting on competitors wearing these now, and it's worth checking whether they insist on cream jods as well.

http://www.nagrags.co.uk/ are my personal favourite :)

I got some for my birthday and I can't wait to use them :D I have a black background with the pattern 'chevrons'. My first colour is cerise and second colour is turquoise. They're expensive, but fantastic quality and beautiful vibrant colours. You can also have them embroidered (although I think the embroidery charge is ridiculous and you'd be better off sending your stuff somewhere else for embroidery) the whole lot came within a week of me ordering them :)

Last edited:
TreeHouse do nice ones, they do rugby type shirts, polo shirts. long sleeve t-shirts, sweatshirts -lots of differnt types to choose from.
They do lots of different colours and hat covers to match. You can get some lovely designs of tops from them too like quartered, plain, stars, stripes, spots etc. Something for everyone whether you're into jazzy stuff or something more sensible!!
Heres the site:
http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/category/2

Or if you don't want to spend a lot of money just wear a normal top - long sleeved top, sweatshirt, t-shirt or whatever is comfy for you, a hat cover, boots and light coloured jods is fine. I suppose you could wear a plain coloured top like navy or black to match a plain hat cover and that would look quite smart.
I don't think you have to be colour co-ordinated just somepeople like to and it can look quite nice I think the main thing is that the clothes you wear are suitable and safe and you wear a riding hat, body protector and medical card.
I don't normally match my numnah/saddlcloth, I just usually use a plain black cotton type numnah but matching one would look nice (you can get them fromthe TreeHouse place link above)
Hope this helps
Hannah x

I have a black bp, and a black silk, so just use a black numnah and a bright Musto top, that I got reduced ;)

WoodsideHT140608010-1.jpg

I can't get a numnah/saddlecloth to match my top, and would love a new matching set but don't really do enough to justify the expense :eek:

I am amazed at how much you've progressed MP, very pleased for you, hope you enjoy it...and don't forget the photos or we'll never speak to you again :p:D

Thanks everyone - I have a better idea of what to get now, only problem is that I only have a week so will have to investigate my local tack shop rather than go on-line (but will keep that in mind for xmas pressies).

I am amazed at how much you've progressed MP, very pleased for you, hope you enjoy it...and don't forget the photos or we'll never speak to you again :p:D

Thank you. I can't believe it either. I even WON a dressage/jumping event last week. I was so shocked but it gave me confidence that perhaps I am not as bad as I thought I was at riding. I still have major wobbles every so often and do worry about the consequences of falls etc. but I try and put that out of my mind as I love riding so much I am determined not to let nerves spoil it for me anymore. My next aim is to change jobs to earn more money so I can afford a horse on full livery.

it doesnt have to be expensive or specifically "cross country", I dont actually have anything that was bought to match - these two were just thrown together.. I must admit I've never wanted the expense of matching stuff as I know I'd get bored with the colour after a couple of wears.
newton4.jpg

Newton1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh well if we're doing pix - this is a lilac fleece, grey jods, red white & blue silk (borrowed) and black bp :eek: Not the greatest colour combination but I was taken by surprise when Flynn's mum asked me if I wanted to jump him!

Laughterton21.jpg

I know that the PC definately require BP and medical armbands also your hat must be to standard and my branch checks them and puts some purple sticky tape thing on the strap so you dont have to get it repeatedly checked at the events... Every XC event i have attented has required long sleeve tops, it all to do with H&S, they would rather you passed out with heat stroke than god forgive get a grazed elbow!! Sleeves arent going to prevent your arm breaking!!! :mad:

Anywhooo, enough rambling, below is my xc colours on a horse i rode last year, owner sold her sob!! :(

Tammy 1.jpg

tammy 3.jpg

Tammy Rug.jpg

newrider.com