What showing classes for a fell x gypsy cob.

abby40!

Mar 30, 2024
Hi all, we have a 12.3hh unregistered fell x gypsy cob. Breeding was unknown on her passport but everyone kept telling me she had a good lot of fell in her so I got her dna tested, she came back as a fell x gypsy which was what I expected with all her extra feather. I'm just wondering what showing classes we should be entering, we only show at local, more fun level. I look at the schedules and struggle to see where she fits in other than tack and turnout/best combination and whp. Could she go into traditional cob classes? We tried part bred m&m but they are clearly looking for plaited show ponies! Or an unregistered m&m? Photo is from nearly a year ago so her mane is alot longer now. Many thanks in advance from a non showing mum of a keen showing 10yo daughter!

Attachments

• 20230806_132552.jpg
    20230806_132552.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 11
No idea but she is lovely. I have the same issues with mine as a veteran shire x if hairy or supercob if trimmed. He is nearly always the only heavy in a class in an area that loves tbs and we are the only feathered and unplaited one there!

Its annoying isn't it, I know showing is generally aimed at registered bred horses/ponies. We have the age issue with my daughter, the best combination classes she could be against children 4, 5 years older than her, they are going to be way better riders and get more out of their ponies/horses! She does amazingly on her strong big paced little pony and would love to find a class she can try to do well in. The whp just drag on for so long she gets bored, no one wants to be in a ring for over an hour like at our last 2 shows! She does do well in the turnout classes but she doesn't actually get to show her amazing fell trot!

Its annoying isn't it, I know showing is generally aimed at registered bred horses/ponies. We have the age issue with my daughter, the best combination classes she could be against children 4, 5 years older than her, they are going to be way better riders and get more out of their ponies/horses! She does amazingly on her strong big paced little pony and would love to find a class she can try to do well in. The whp just drag on for so long she gets bored, no one wants to be in a ring for over an hour like at our last 2 shows! She does do well in the turnout classes but she doesn't actually get to show her amazing fell trot!
there is always the most beautiful mare or handsome gelding fun classes but I understand it. i get really tee-ed off when veteran judges don't follow the VHS rules don't ask the horse's age, its history, is it still in work. In on segrated classes my 28 year old is up against 16 year olds, well i can tell you when he was 19 he would have wiped them off the planet as he was really fit and well but even so he is great for his age.

That's a lovely mix! Mine's irish cob, black, so a bit like a downmarket version of yours!

I had a Connemara pony who had no papers, general consensus was that he was something like 3/4 Connie and 1/4 ID. As there aren't any classes for Bog Ponies I used to enter him in Family Pony, M&M if they allowed unregistered which many smaller local shows do, Handsomest Gelding and Riding Pony if I was feeling brave. Best to avoid the bigger shows as they are strict about papers. You could also put her in the Traditional Cob class if there is one, she could compete with the best on the mane and feather!

Local shows should have something for everyone.
Unregistered m&m you will stand out with feathers. Unregistered part bred m&m you might not.

Like you we don't fit into any boxes either. So you are left with tack and turnout, best rider, whp where you would turnout as for hunting. Family pony you are likely to be too seen as too small, handy pony, any of the mounted games, fancy dress, clear round.

There is also such as thing these days as online showing. You either use the photos you have taken at shows or video/set the photo up at home. You can do dressage tests that way.
My friend does this with her two younger children as they can get together with friends at the yard. Nobody is left out that way.

It's annoying when you just don't seem to fit in isn't it? In my area the local shows have classes for coloureds, traditional, coloured plaited, and part breds. Nothing for a pure bred non-coloured horse/pony. I feel discriminated against with a pure bred Arab. I mean if they have a generic class for part breds, why don't they have one for pure breds?

To be fair there is usually a mare class and a gelding class (and young stock for 3 yrs and under) so there is one class we can enter, but it feels like a class for people who don't have a proper show pony. I'm not really into showing so it doesn't really matter but I still get annoyed when I look at the schedules šŸ˜‚

It's annoying when you just don't seem to fit in isn't it? In my area the local shows have classes for coloureds, traditional, coloured plaited, and part breds. Nothing for a pure bred non-coloured horse/pony. I feel discriminated against with a pure bred Arab. I mean if they have a generic class for part breds, why don't they have one for pure breds?

To be fair there is usually a mare class and a gelding class (and young stock for 3 yrs and under) so there is one class we can enter, but it feels like a class for people who don't have a proper show pony. I'm not really into showing so it doesn't really matter but I still get annoyed when I look at the schedules šŸ˜‚
We've got the pure and part bred Arab classes sorry. šŸ˜‚
Saying that with yours, you could go to the bigger shows just for Arabs?
Mine is registered chaps, we would look a prat!

Being in the New Forest, there are of course, loads of reg NF classes, but although Ramsey was pure, he wasn't registered. Lots of other classes for him though - family pony, best turned out, etc

newrider.com