What size pony/horse should i be riding?

ponies-R-gr8!!!

Me and a fat ginger pony!
Jul 27, 2006
Northants UK
I am 5ft and weigh approx 8.7 stone. My friend is a bit taller than me and probably weighs the same although cos shes taller she looks much thinner. My RI let her ride an 11.2 nearly all the time a few weeks ago but she says i am too heavy for her. Also, she keeps putting me on a 16.3 but im not sure if this is because nobody else rides him atm or cos im too heavy for anything else? What size is really suitable for me? i would have thought 14.2-15h would be fine? What does everyone else think?

i am 5ft and 7st and ride a 14.2hh all the time and he's fine also he carrys quite bug adults so ** right i think. :p

im 5ft 2 and weigh 8.5 stone and i used to ride a 14hh pony (old pony) and she carried me perfectly..until i outgrew her, so i bought a 15hh and she carries me exactly the same as Lady.

so yeah, a 14.2-15.2 is alright :)

loads of people think they are too big for there ponies but in actual fact there not (i am doing my estimations in the showing world though)

Im 5ft8 and weigh roughly 9st and ride my 15hh tb x conny without problems. Ive ridden much smaller ponies and 18hh horses... its mainly preference i guess.
I do think that with your height/weight theres no need for you to be put on to the bigger horses as if everyone did that, the taller, heavier people would need massive horses wouldnt they!! :p

5ft on a 16.3?!
My friend is 5ft2 and her feet just hang below the saddle on my 16.1 TBxWB! (and she rides her so well! i wish i was half as good as her...)
lizzyoncurly.jpg

Id say you want about a 14 hander then...but then im 5.10/5.11 (bout 9 stone - all muscle ;))and ive been known to hop on my friends 11.2 tank of a welshie for a laugh. Will find a piccie to make you laugh!
(the hat with the pink bobble belongs to buzzybea NOT me!)
rachontiddsbareback.jpg

Last edited:
I know lol! I must look ridiculous i feel it and he does look round at me every so often as if to say "are you still there shorty!" :p
Thanks for the replies everyone. What if i wanted to do unaffilated SJ/Rc activities? Would it still be the same?

I'm about 7 stone and 5"3, and will happily ride from about 10hh to 14hh, but am capable of riding our 17hh easily. Too far up for me though!! :D That's my personal preference, but I think you could really ride anything from a stocky little pony to a big horse with your height and weight, but at your height you would probably look best on a 13hh-14hh pony. Some people prefer bigger or smaller ones though.

ETA: I don't think age really matters as to size, but from experience I know that you get some funny looks riding in the older age group classes at shows on a 11.2hh!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm glad that id be ok for a 14h cos i like handling the smaller ones from the ground (they dont make me feel miniture!)Lol. just one last question do i look too big on this pony? she is 13.1 but i dont ride her anymore cos shes at the old yard i used to ride at:(

18-08-06_2032.jpg

thanks sorry to be a pain!!!!

newrider.com