What would you do..Flu advice?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
My Oh has had a fever running for the last two nights, and I've struggled to get him out of bed both mornings, yesterday, he seemed fine by lunchtime, it was only towards bed time he started shivering again..
I hardly slept myself last night, my palpitations kept me awake, and I still feel really uncomfortable in my lower back and midrift.. I feel a killjoy, as I know he's not feeling well, but I'm not that much better myself, I have my ECG on Thurs, and that's at the back of my mind all the time..
He's not going into work today, but I'm really worried about leaving him on his own, as I really did have trouble getting him up earlier, and he needs to keep moving, to help his blood circulate (keep him warm).
I've sat him in front of the fire, with a beechams lemsip..
I'm sure he has flu, but we both work in a food environment, in the same department.. If I'm a carrier of what he's got, because no doubt, i'll probably get it at some point, if I haven't already got the start of it (went to bed with a headache last night), I'm worried that I may spread his germs so to speak..
What do I do? I'm more worried about leaving him than anything else, his kids don't really pop round to see him very often, am I being silly, and over protective?

It does sound as though your OH has full blown 'FLU' and whilst he does
need to 'sweat it all out' I don't think there is any 'healer' like sleep when
you feel this ill.

Plenty of fluids, paracetemol and all other products you find that help, but
let him go to bed if he feels better there. I am sure he will pick up in
a few days, may not feel great still, but there should be an improvement.

IF I was you I would go to work, if you pick this up you may need time
off for yourself down the line a bit.

Last edited:
Poor you and your OH. Please try not to worry too much about your ECG. Have you had one before? If not, then don't flap, its no great shakes. I had one last year, in fact, I had a few tests and wore the 24hr heart monitor thingy. Have you suffered palpitations for a while? Please try not to stress over it. I get them often, we don't know why - and I've gone through the process of trying to find out many times. Caffiene, chocolate, aspartime loaded drinks are all a big no no for me. (That isn't to say I don't indulge now and again!).
Hope your OH is better soon. If you are really worried about him and don't see any improvement do ring your doctor for advice. A few years ago, OH and myself both got flu within a few days of each other. My temp just went silly, looking back, OH said he wished he'd rung the doctor, specially as I had other health problems at the time. Keep him drinking plenty of fluids and resting - that is all I can say. Do hope you don't get it, many healing vibes to you both.

Plenty of fluids, paracetamol will help lower his fever, and rest. I personally wouldn't go into work yourself either, not with the industry you work in, it's not safe. Phone your manager and explain that OH has flu and you are coming down with something and you feel its not safe to come into work. If you feel well enough to go in, offer to work in another department if possible (where there is no food handling?).
I wouldn't worry too much about OH, flu is awful but he will be ok, just make sure he drinks lots and lots of water. Someone told me to aim for twice the normal amount of fluids when ill, don't know if there's any truth in that, but dehydration certainly won't help so it's worth leaving him with a couple of 2L bottles of water or juice.
Get well hugs to you both xx

I'm worrying myself silly about everything at the moment, I really didn't need him to get ill too.. I feel selfish because of this, I have so much going on this is sort of tipping me over the edge, i'm tearful this morning, and dread to think what I'll be like later on, I'm not good to be around when I get all emotional..
I've had palpitations for over a year now, and they've been a lot worse lately, I seem to have them all the time, and just can't relax..
I've asked my Yo if they can do the horses for a couple of days, whilst I get him and myself right, I'm no use to anyone like this:cry:
To top it off, I have the supervisor from hell this afternoon, and she's going to wind me up some what chronic, Oh I do hop I survive this week without going into melt down..
It was a similar set up (severe stress) that made me drop everything and go down to my brother in Portsmouth 7 years ago, it was like I had a form of break down, I ditched my job, abandoned my horse (put him on loan) and was there for 6 weeks, before reality brought me back down to earth..
I'm dreading the fact I could go down that road again, if I don't get a grip soon..

Oh Dark Storm :( you know we're here to listen to ranting and raving if it will you make you feel better *hugs*
Please try and just take things one step at a time - people say one day at a time but I know that sometimes an hour at a time is enough. Make time for yourself, take time out of "real life" by putting your stereo on with your earphones in, or losing yourself in a book for a while. A lot of people recommend Bach Rescue Remedy for times of stress and I certainly don't think it would hurt to try it. I hope you feel better soon xxxx

for A lot of people recommend Bach Rescue Remedy for times of stress and I certainly don't think it would hurt to try it. I hope you feel better soon xxxx

I've had a double dose of that this morning.. I keep a bottle in my drawer for emergencies, only it doesn't seem to be working yet..
I haven't even got round to parcelling my SS, just realized, god I'm so far behind on things now:cry:
I promise it'll be in the post tomo, just so much on my plate at the moment, even the worming company can't keep up, just read the letter that comes with wormer.. it states "to worm on the 6th".... that was 1 week ago:banghead:
I've only just received the package..
If I could drive, i'd take myself to work, but Oh is the driver, so has to get out of sick bed to take me:frown:
Guess I'm going to have to take that plunge in the new year and get behind the wheel.. Yep.. a stress head on wheels....

I certainly would not go into work.

If OH has flu he will not be safe to drive...even a couple of lemsips can seriously affect driving ...and going outside will not help him get better quickly. It really sounds as if you need the time off as well and in your current position I really cannot see you making a great contribution at work while all these worries are on your mind.

DArk Storm - sorry to hear you've had the palpitations over a year - sure they will clear up. Have you tried cutting out certain foods and drinks? I've suffered with them since I was 28 - and I think mine get worse in times of stress, though there is def a food or drink link. Chin up - look afteryourself. Maybe nat17 is right, perhaps work might distract you? I know I am better the more I have got going on!

I am a great lover of writing things down. Silly really, but if things get on top of me, I write a list. List of what worries me, list of jobs to do etc.

For me, it puts it into perspective and then the silly things, like cleaning the house, or a problem at work, or whatever is the lowest on the list, I can see in black and white and scrub that off the list as it isn't very important. Somehow when it is in my head it is very important, but on paper it isn't.

Hope you steer clear of the flu

You do indeed sound very 'down' Dark Storm and maybe some time off
would be good, go see the Doctor and explain how you are feeling and
don't leave it until you spiral downwards or Flu hits you xxxxxxxxxx

Hope you are feeling more on par soon xxx

I've come home to a Oh, still in bed feeling sorry for himself, and doesn't seem to have made much of an effort to keep hydrated.. he's tried eating a pot noodle, bit says it made him heave.. but when you've not eaten for 24 hours, what can he expect?
I'm at a loss of what to do, I'm fed up, sat with nothing but a pc for company and my guinea pigs.. I just want a hug and at least some small chat:cry: I'm starting to feel neglected:frown:
I've no one to turn to, to cry on their shoulder, he's making a terrible patient, I've gone as far as to say forget it, giving up on trying to get him to at least drink something.. and gone off in a huff:cry:

I've come home to a Oh, still in bed feeling sorry for himself, and doesn't seem to have made much of an effort to keep hydrated.. he's tried eating a pot noodle, bit says it made him heave.. but when you've not eaten for 24 hours, what can he expect?
I'm at a loss of what to do, I'm fed up, sat with nothing but a pc for company and my guinea pigs.. I just want a hug and at least some small chat:cry: I'm starting to feel neglected:frown:
I've no one to turn to, to cry on their shoulder, he's making a terrible patient, I've gone as far as to say forget it, giving up on trying to get him to at least drink something.. and gone off in a huff:cry:

sending you a MAHOOSIVE hug ....dark storm its important your OH keeps himself hydrated (there is something called diraloaiote??? sp?? not sure of the name tbh but you can get from a chemist and it will help with the dehydration. Failing that get some lucazade glucose tablets.) Do you have any whisky/lemon & honey in your house? You could try a hot toddy ..could help .It is important that OH is eating as well...his body won't be able to recover properly .

I agree with the others you def sound as though you need some recovery time as well. Did you manage to speak to a manager at all about getting a couple of days to recouperate .i think it would be beneficial for both of you..

another hug..hope you & OH are feeling better soon xxx

It's looking likely that I won't be in work myself after today, I've started feeling a bit off myself, and with it being this close to xmas, I'm a bit peeved to say the least:frown:
I hope he's feeling a bit better before I come down with it properly, otherwise we're going to be a right pair:cold:.. Bring on 2011, and Spring:spin:

AW BLESS, I have to say I don't know many people that have escaped
it this year.

I felt absolutely lousy for a good two weeks with the sickness bug I picked
up and they are 'going down like FLIES' in work with people ringing in
sick right, left and centre, and people who genuinely NEVER have time off !

At least if you DO go down with it, you can snuggle up together and
feel sorry for each other:giggle:

JOKING ASIDE, healing HUGS comin' your way and Plus side IS........get it now and NOT Christmas Week xxx

AW BLESS, I have to say I don't know many people that have escaped
it this year.

I felt absolutely lousy for a good two weeks with the sickness bug I picked
up and they are 'going down like FLIES' in work with people ringing in
sick right, left and centre, and people who genuinely NEVER have time off !

At least if you DO go down with it, you can snuggle up together and
feel sorry for each other:giggle:

JOKING ASIDE, healing HUGS comin' your way and Plus side IS........get it now and NOT Christmas Week xxx

I've just got his computer working, as it's been on the blink since sunday (any connection do you think?:giggle:) perhaps he'll 're-boot' him self today:redcarded:

newrider.com