Whats in your feed bin:

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Following on from a recent thread about feeding older horses. We have 36 to feed ranging from 4 year old fat cobs through mid teen ex racers to retired early 30's. Obviously with that number we have to think about feed both in terms of cost and results and these ingredients in various proportions seem to really work for us.

In my feed bin are bags of Speedibeet (or other unmolassed vitamin/mineral supplemented similar product), basic feed merchant's own brand course mix and micronised barley.

On the supplements shelf are, milk thistle for a pony with old liver damage from ragwort, Selenium that came with a recent purchase (not sure why) Pink Powder (probiotic) that goes to all the 'poor doer' Tb types and the very old, joint supplement Cortaflex for the older competing horses, Nobute for the off days not bad enough to need 'real' medicine, garlic for the sweetitch pony, homeopathic arnica and sulphur for sore muscles and skin problems respectively.

Oh and seperate bags of exorbitantly expensive special feed to stop the precious G tying up and/or choking...those who followed my vet bills saga last year will understand!!

But most important two barns that were filled with top quality meadow hay (cost would have bought a nice car :D)

So what is in yours?

Hi Fi Lite
High Fibre Cubes
Apple Cider Vinegar
Carrots

Other than that he just gets ad-lib good quality hay and access to a mineral lick.

If I'm feeling a bit flush I do try and give him a general supplement as well but my bank balance is suffering at the moment as it is and he does perfectly well without it! :)

Last year (when I wasn't so poor!) it went something more like:

Happy Hoof
High Fibre Cubes
Slow release competition cubes
Top Spec
Speedibeet
Pink Powder
Benevit
Clarity (breathing supplement)
Equidermis (skin supplement)
Garlic
Oil

*ahem* :eek:

P.S. I once worked on a yard where we fed about 30 horse on the local feedstores economy nuts, bran and hay.. that was it! And none of them dropped dead :D

Last edited:
for jay i have;
hifi
top line cubes
fibre beet
sugar beet
black sunflower seeds
pink powder
cider vinegar

for fizz
safe & sound
fibre beet[just a tad]
piriton tablets
cal mag

Interesting Fizz we used topline cubes last year but found the micronised barley does a similar job at about 1/3 of the cost. The vet was horrified at us using sunflower seeds and said it may have been related to G tying up. Why do you use piriton ...does it help with an allergy.....(always after new ideas!)

People who use hifibre cubes do you soak them, I tried one bag but ended up with a yard of choking horses :eek:

senior mix
foal mix
happy hoof
speedi beet (used occasionally)
carrots
cod liver oil

Whe i worked at a professional yard years ago all the horses (jumpers) got was bran, chaff, and sugar beet,molasses sometimes, they were jumping every week and travelling all over and never lost condition!!!

Jets and Belle!
sugar beet
Mix
Nuts
barley
chaff
werid things shaped like nuts but there not! :rolleyes:
useally bute but atm theres something instead of!!
Carrots!!
errrrrm.... its hard to think!!

Libby's bins:
weight gain
topline conditioning cubes
alpha a oil

Lucy's bins:
calm and condition
apple chaff

Rambo's bins
senior conditioning mix
hi fi senior

Billy's bins
veteran mix
hi fi senior

Collective bin:
speedibeet

Supplements: cortaflex (Lucy), garlic (Libby and Lucy), moody mare (Libby), tendoneaze (Libby), pink powder (Rambo), restore (Rambo), devil's claw (Rambo), vegetable oil (Rambo and Billy) ....

Interesting Fizz we used topline cubes last year but found the micronised barley does a similar job at about 1/3 of the cost. The vet was horrified at us using sunflower seeds and said it may have been related to G tying up. Why do you use piriton ...does it help with an allergy.....(always after new ideas!)

People who use hifibre cubes do you soak them, I tried one bag but ended up with a yard of choking horses :eek:

jay can be a bit ott on barley, although he was ok on the barley rings:), hes a very fussy eater & can struggle with his weight if stessed.
found some vets love BOSS & some hate them lol, jays a very very slow eater & vet said he would be fine with them:)

piriton is because she has a pollen allergy, vet recommended them for her, i buy 500 on line for just under £10 & she gets 4 a day in winter & 6-8 a day in summer:)

Badminton Horse Bricks
TopSpec Balancer
Equine Herbals "Koff"
Winter Glow/Summer Shine (vit supplement)
Carrots
Torch :p
Soon to be added:
Alfa-A
Fibrebeet

Elouise - Speedibeet
Alfa A Oil
Calm and Condition
Carrots
Equiflex Supplement
Garlic

Honey and Seven - Speedibeet
Hi Fi Lite
Pink Powder
Carrots
Garlic

xxx

Kwikbeet
Bailey's LoCal
D&H Safe & sound

They all get the same LoCal and S&S and vary the amount of sugarbeet. The only one that could possibly need something more conditioning is the one that has a long list of stuff she can't eat so just has plenty of sugarbeet.

Also have salt for all of them and Mia's Gasti-x and joint supplement.

NRM Coolade at the moment,they all get about half a scoop.
I feed them that or NRM Horse & Pony pellets which I prefer.
Then Chunky gets glucosamine and MSM and Timba and Joe get Palamountains Equine Bone & Joint.

I feed my dressage horses very simply really

My Open Med horse:
1.5 dippers Coprice/Nutririce competition
1 dipper Oats
1 Oaten/Lucerne Chaff Mix
Palamountains bone and joint
electrolytes every 2nd day
muscle max

The others get the same feed minus oats but in different quantities. I dont believe in feeding loads of different products, and not trying to be up myself but my horses all look fantastic with the simple feed they get.

In the feed bins

Oaten Chaff
Lucerne Chaff
Crushed Barley
Crushed Lupins
Hy-gain Ice
Black Sunflower Seeds
Crushed Linseed

On the supplements shelf

Paprika, garlic, salt, Cell Provide and Cell Grow (vit and mineral supplements)
Apple cider vinegar and molasses (not often used only), celery seeds, Biotin

LMF Senior Horse -- this is a US brand, but I'm sure there are similar complete feeds wherever you are. She eats her hay just fine, so mostly I use just a scoop of the feed to mix in her joint and digestive supplements. I up it a bit if she seems to be losing weight, like when it's been very cold.

newrider.com