When did you last do something different?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It doesn't have to be very exciting. :p

For us we are trying this season earless, (and if that makes it into the dictionary I coined the phrase) She normally has the Cashel ears on but this year have taken off just to see how we get on. Plus there doesnt appear to be any flies out.
So far so good and it's funny watching her ears move about and they look a lot smaller.

Also taken to hacking on occasion with the schooling whip. No idea why. That's a bit random.

I am planning on hacking the big ginger one about the fields - no big for anyone who is a proper rider but pretty big for me - and opening up the summer bit to ride around too ending up back at the yard :DSo for me that's different, as normally Mr T does the pottering and pootling of the fields. I use the arena.

Had a work skype last evening and that was a first for me. (not horsey but thought I'd include it).

Just tried a chicken and vegetable pie - that's new for me - as I normally stick to the steak ones. Tomorrow lasagne pie - woo hoo!

Last edited:
I've been trying lots of new hoof boots on jess, I love her renegades but needed something capable of having a pad in while she's recovering from the soreness, I currently have 5 different types of boots in my possession!

Reactions: lauren123
Yesterday! :D:D:D

The jumpies as mentioned in my other post but I also hoiked my stirrups up two holes... normally I only go up one for jumping ... and I have to say it did feel more secure.

Reactions: Jessey
I am planning on hacking the big ginger one about the fields - no big for anyone who is a proper rider but pretty big for me - and opening up the summer bit to ride around too ending up back at the yard :DSo for me that's different, as normally Mr T does the pottering and pootling of the fields. I use the arena.

Had a work skype last evening and that was a first for me. (not horsey but thought I'd include it).

Just tried a chicken and vegetable pie - that's new for me - as I normally stick to the steak ones. Tomorrow lasagne pie - woo hoo!
I am not a fan of the phrase proper.
But I do believe in the term happy.
Being happy with your horse, doing what you are happy doing, beats doing any of it 'properly'

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
I've found we have far less flies this year, I think the dry weather has helped, jess is still naked and not being driven too crazy :)
You mean I am actually in tune with the weather. There's me thinking it was a conscious choice. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
Think it's been cold enough at night even though it's been dry to stop some of the flies. They'll be out in force soon enough.

I did something different today. Went to a cattle meeting then went for a meal at a pub afterwards. Couple of weeks ago we had fish and chips from the chippies. It's got to be two years since I've had takeaway food. Rarely go out to eat or have take aways. Probably another two years before I get more fish and chips.

Reactions: newforest
I wouldn't say this is necessarily different. I have been riding her bitless around the fields for a few years.
But to actually have a connection to get the trot, canter, trot transition towards home was a first for her!!
So praised her and quit the session. She might absorb that the human likes it better when they can stop when they want to and not have the usual yay can't bend or slow one that's very off putting!

How are we doing with the something different?

Three months on and we are still earless @chunky monkey I think that's going to stick, everything these days appears to be something less. :)

@Trewsers I did a skype thing with the bank for the first time this year.
It's funny how our generation is experiencing change and new things that the next haven't discovered yet because it's normal.
How long will it be before all gadgets just do as you tell them with no need for a manual, you know a simple word such as work!!

Well I did manage to ride Scully without her trying to give me flying lessons in the last two visits, but she has lost the forwardness we had last October, probably the heat.

But I also had great success with dear old Ivoire, managed to get him cantering - first time I have cantered since just before my heart attack two and a half years ago. :cool:

A summer without Kia is my new thing. It feels like I’m missing a leg.

On a less morose note playing with a Faran is very different he thinks completely differently from any of my previous babies so I’m having to adapt my techniques to fit :) it’s very challenging :D

Reactions: fourlegs
I've found we have far less flies this year, I think the dry weather has helped, jess is still naked and not being driven too crazy :)
I regret this statement now, we had very few mozzies and ear biters early on, but have been plagued by horseflies more recently :(
Funny tho, went and camped at a yard just a few miles up river Friday-Sunday and expected there to be lots of biting bugs there and Jess actually got to spend most of the time there without her fly rug, it was much better than at home. Its more open there, so perhaps the steadier breeze helped.

newrider.com