When does the grass lose its' nutritionl value?

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
That's the question. I still have quite a bit of grass left, but how valuable is it now and when does supplementation(I'm thinking balancers) become necessary? Thanks.

Yeah Brandy, that's the problem I have. There's plenty of grass but I don't know whether it's just filling and enjoyable, rather than having any goodness in it - bit like doughnuts!!!! I suppose watching his condition is a clue to it - but the vits/mins is what concerns me really.

I would probably always feed a multivitamin supplement as most grazing is lacking in certain nutrients regardless of time of year so that way you can guarantee they are getting a good balance.:)

I've been feeding a balancer all summer (lo-cal), we've got good grass but Molly's muzzled 24/7. As I'm restricting her grass intake so much I've kept up with the balancer, as it doesn't seem to change her weight (she has such a small amount of it).

I suspect the grass may be starting to lose some of its goodness - but I imagine it is a gradual thing so hard to say when exactly. An old friend of mine recknons its when it changes colour and looks more yellowy. In our field most of the new growth is still very green - I'm going by when it has stopped growing full stop as far as muzzling goes.

Complicated isn't it?! :confused:

Libby comes to the gate for dinner now, so for me that's the indication she's ready for winter feeding. Have just started her off on a proper dinner a day (she's been on maintenance feed only all summer) + Pink Powder to ease the transition back to ard feed.

newrider.com