When you were horse hunting - how did you know ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
That you wanted your horse and he/she was the one for you ? Was it personality ? Did you just "click" ?

There has been some interesting discussions about family expansion in the Ruskii household ......;)

I knew Ben before I bought him, and I always lusted after him. I remember the first time I set eyes on him when his previous owner was turning him out and I remember thinking that I wanted him. It was definitely love at first sight.

One day when I was at the yard tending to my share horse, I overheard the words 'Ben is for sale' from 2 girls talking in another stable. I snapped him up straight away! I only rode him for 5 minutes before I agreed to the full asking price.

All the horses I have chosen for myself it has been a feeling really, I get a feeling about a horse when I place my hands on them, I also like to watch them at Liberty before I go anywhere near them. I have bought horses that I haven't even tried ridden based on feelings.

Only one hasn't worked out and it wasn't the horse or me or there being no bond, just and unfortunate series of circumstances really that forced me to have he horse move on.

I trust my instincts a lo with horses, there have been horses I have met who I have refused to sit on, just had a bad vibe, then been persuaded to sit on them and had some horrible experiences and been lucky not to end up injured then there have been some who despite being a joy to ride and be around I've felt just wouldn't be a good fit and I have passed by.

I say go with how you feel, not a head or a heart decision. As impressions are realised for a reason and not just empty intuition.

Reactions: newforest
I don't know really. I remember going to the sales looking for a potential broodmare. I was looking for a coloured mare, aged around 7 years old, broken to ride, no bigger than 14.2hh. I had two kids with me, one aged two months and the other 15 months so Mr C was duly despatched with full instructions while I tried to keep control of the tribe.

Mistake!

He came back with a solid black, half Shire filly, six months, never been touched until being "weaned". Weaning meant being put in a stable with the top door closed the night before the sales. She'd jumped through the top door and had made a right mess of her legs and torn her forelock as well. As for height she was huge.

And yet she was special. She was a cracking mare when we got her straight. A friend bought her off me to compete her but sold her on when she got pregnant. She needed a competition home to keep her happy and I couldn't give her that otherwise I'd have taken her straight back.

Last edited:
I generally go with confirmation or breeding if buying un ridden but if buying ridden what they are like under saddle can make their conformation or breeding take second place. However I am guilty of taking on ponies that I feel have been dealt a bad lot, I'm only 5,3 so prefer projects 15hh and under but as I get older my heart rules my head more.x

I have bought via tick list and via 'chemistry'. I trust chemistry more. My 2 favourite ever horses were bought on impulse when I wasn't even looking.

This is not about buying but over the years of riding RS horses and horses on USA trail rides, I have sat on a horse that is new to me and known almost straight away that we click.
There is tho a human background. The horse has been allocated to me because it fits me physically, so there is a physical comfort. And the physical ease, facilitates communication - so you can discover whether or not the horse listens, learns and complies. And when I get on a horse, it is not a seller but may be someone I trust who gives me details about the background and training of the horse I am about to ride.
The human input has a bearing on how one then feels about riding the horse.I knew Maisie and I were a pair when we first met without further human input and I rode her regardless of how lively she was and how often I fell off her. I can list and name about half a dozen other horses and one mule with whom I have had the same instant rapport.
But if you go to try a horse that is a better quality or more highly trained, (as one might when buying a horse) it is harder to work out the personal element. The horse I now love I rode first as a treat. In the scale of things she was a better quality horse than I had ever ridden before and I adjusted my riding to my very best. She obliged me immensely but I assume this was because she was a beautiful horse and until last week I did not think of her as clicking particularly with me. Nor (till an RI commented) of myself having a special relationship with her. People point out that I have fallen for another grey mare, but that had nothing to do with it.

I dont think you have to love a horse at first sight to have this special bond. It can be built up over many years. My experience of my share was not instant at all. She could be a difficult mare but over 8 years we got the hang of each other both in the stable, leading and riding - Into that went lots of effort (as one might employ a trainer) . But her owner, my RI, did say that the ground behaviour in which I had coached her when leading and grooming - was a basis for her compliance to me when ridden. My situation was comparable to someone who has a horse and wants to make the most of the horse they have. It worked. But she was not my first choice.

I DIDN'T know. I really liked Roxy out of all the horses I looked at - she was smaller and a little older than I ideally wanted, but still in a different league from most of the ones I'd seen in my price bracket in terms of what she'd done and her ability - but I wouldn't say we immediately clicked. I tried her twice, and got OBC to come and see her with me and try her for me, for a second opinion. She thought Roxy would be great for me. She was right! But it does take time to build a bond, I would be wary of thinking 'this is The One!' when you see a horse you like and after that maybe letting your heart overrule your head, particularly as you need them to pass a vetting before you even think of taking them on.

After the Andi disaster. I knew what I needed and asked lots and lots of questions
the one thing I did not know about Sonny was his name til I went to see him
When I found out it was Sonny it creeped me out a bit cause I had the perfect horse years ago
"SUNNY" and I had him til he was 32 and had a stroke.
I pretended I did not know his name
and he was everything the girl said and got right in a trailer - we rode out along a busy orad etc etc etc
HE WAS THE ONE
Who knew it was going to be another Sunny just with a different spelling.:rolleyes:

After the Andi disaster. I knew what I needed and asked lots and lots of questions
the one thing I did not know about Sonny was his name til I went to see him
When I found out it was Sonny it creeped me out a bit cause I had the perfect horse years ago
"SUNNY" and I had him til he was 32 and had a stroke.
I pretended I did not know his name
and he was everything the girl said and got right in a trailer - we rode out along a busy orad etc etc etc
HE WAS THE ONE
Who knew it was going to be another Sunny just with a different spelling.:rolleyes:
It was a bit like that with me and Roxy - I'd planned to call whatever pet I got next Roxy, as I love the name, but obviously with a horse they're already named. I guess it was a sign I was meant to have her!

I do think sometimes you need to look outside the box a little cause sometimes what you want and need are 2 completely different things. I'm ashamed to same I didn't really have any interest in cobs till I got mine but now he's worth his weight in gold to me. I do miss jumping but when the right horse at the right price comes along I will take a look. It's a bit like saying I want a 14,2, between 8-10, gelding and dismissing everything else then overlooking a 14.1, 11 year old mare that's fantastic, I never have really rigid ideas about what I'm looking for. x

I DIDN'T know. I really liked Roxy out of all the horses I looked at - she was smaller and a little older than I ideally wanted, but still in a different league from most of the ones I'd seen in my price bracket in terms of what she'd done and her ability - but I wouldn't say we immediately clicked. I tried her twice, and got OBC to come and see her with me and try her for me, for a second opinion. She thought Roxy would be great for me. She was right! But it does take time to build a bond, I would be wary of thinking 'this is The One!' when you see a horse you like and after that maybe letting your heart overrule your head, particularly as you need them to pass a vetting before you even think of taking them on.
I'm going to be really controversial and admit I don't do vettings:eek:, I check the horse as a basic vetting would myself and take my chances. The vetting is only really any good on the day of vetting, if I bought a horse 4k plus then I maybes would vet depending on if I know it's history or not. Don't all shoot me down at once, lol.:D:D:D Xx

I knew Storm and I were meant to be, I loved her smell:Dshe was way too much for me at seven and being wick and not at all good to hack but she and my RI taught me loads. I'm still learning.........
OH just new J was right. His big gorgeous head was hanging over the door and I watched OH look along the row of heads and fixate on Joe's - I knew then we would be shaking on a deal:) he was right in so many ways tho, a school master (but only when he chose to be:p) challenging in others......

I'm going to be really controversial and admit I don't do vettings:eek:, I check the horse as a basic vetting would myself and take my chances. The vetting is only really any good on the day of vetting, if I bought a horse 4k plus then I maybes would vet depending on if I know it's history or not. Don't all shoot me down at once, lol.:D:D:D Xx

I'd always vet. It depends on your situation - if you've got land and money then you can afford to be less cautious. If you're going to end up paying for expensive livery in an expensive area, and it's a big chunk out of your salary each month, then you need to be damn sure you buy a horse that's rideable!

Reactions: Ruskii
I have a mental check list that I have gone down before I even go look at them, if they meet all those criteria I will go and meet them and then its all down to the vibe (I've mostly brought mine as youngsters) if I get a good vibe I buy, if I don't I walk away. Occasionally the vibe isn't too strong one way or the other and you spend time with them and ride/do groundwork for half hour to see how they learn, 9/10 times I end up walking away from those ones though.

I think often people look for a type or look and let that love at first sight thing over-ride the practical side, those criteria we all set when we start looking which is more about the horse we need rather than want.

When helping a friend look she wanted a cob, def. no TB's or arab's as that's what everyone tells you when you buy your first, 8-10 years & 15-15.2hh or something like that, been there done it type that she, as a nervy advanced novice, could have fun with hacking. We looked at dozens of horses and her shortlist was 2 cobs;
The 1st was a 15.2 very handsome skewbald HW cob with lots of feather and mane, 7 year old, novice ride, who from a trekking center that was closing.
The 2nd was a 14.3, 9 year old, palomino, stocky cob type, been there got the T-shirt, who's owner had to sell due to young children.
So both meet her criteria and were handsome, and she was ready to part with her money but I had to tell her no on both counts once we saw/rode them, horse 1 had been used as a very novice ride, he hadn't learnt to canter yet :eek: and he panicked when alone and the steering and brakes failed, nothing nasty but so green it was untrue, he was also so obese that he had a 2in deep gully down his entire back. Horse 2 I guessed at twice the age advertised, probably had PPID/EMS from the puffy eyes and odd fat pads, was an absolute tank in a gag and grackle, again not nasty but a confident teenagers pony. She ended up with a OTTB, who within minutes of meeting and 30 seconds of sitting on I knew she would love because he was just so chilled out, he failed as a racer as he just couldn't be bothered to run a lot but was nice and intelligent and learnt well :D

I'd always vet. It depends on your situation - if you've got land and money then you can afford to be less cautious. If you're going to end up paying for expensive livery in an expensive area, and it's a big chunk out of your salary each month, then you need to be damn sure you buy a horse that's rideable!
Yes your absolutely right!! Actually if I was in livery I'd probably be more cautious. x

I've never vetted mine, but I've never brought one of riding age or for much money, I probably would vet if spending more and wanted something to ride immediately.

newrider.com