Which girth?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Which is best, elastic at both ends, one end, in the middle or none at all? And do you prefer a specific material?

I try to go for elastic both ends, I would also try elastic in the middle but don't like one sided elastic, Belle loves the pro choice neoprene girth but I know some horses don't get on with it.

Elastic in the centre or no elastic.i Don't like elastic on both sides as I think it's too easy for people to over tighten them. I have the sensation self centring girths which are elastic in the middle with humane ends so tthe tension in the billets is even,works very well on treeless I find. I have the wool,felt and neoprene liners depending on the horse depends on the liner. I also have a Jeffries humane neoprene which has a natural give to it but does not have an elastic section. Easy to wash,keeps the saddle stable,again treeless and works well on 3 of the 4 horses at work. Also it's cheap and available in the UK!

Saddler told me no elastic is kinder because 'research shows' that actually an elasticated girth squeezes the chest in with each stride rather than allowing it to expand. Depends how tight you have it I suppose ...

When I mentioned this to next saddler she said well yes but actually strong elastic is ok, as long as it's both ends.

So is there any wonder I'm confused.

Have to say the stubben cord girth was probably the one we got on best with - the only one that stopped previous saddle slipping forward and no sweating underneath it. Unfortunately latest saddle uses a dressage girth so I can't use a cord girth.

I've tried humane girths but Raf doesn't seem to like them.

I have Wintec with centre elastic for jess now, she def seems happier than she did with either elastic both ends or none, one side is a complete non starter for me, as is leather because I wont clean it [emoji14]
Great thought there about the humane girth being good fof treeles @mystiquemalaika, im going to try and find my old one and see if it help on ed :)

I seen a noticeable difference with it Jessey. And makes sense in my mind on the treeless and works well when the horse has different girth grooves as well to ensure tension is equal on the billets therefore equal across the saddle.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com