Why do horses love jumping?

I have always been led to believe that horses thrive off of something that can do with ease. Being flight animals, jumping comes naturally to them, therefore knowing they can do it, increases the want to do it. :D

Haha..my mare will back straight off the leg the second a jump appears!
For those that enjoy it, I think they do it for the praise that comes after and because the excitement from the rider will spark them up! :)

Tyler goes into Hyperdrive lol.

Quite funny to watch he keeps going round and round to jump again!!! I can sit back and enjoy it all lol.

In saying that, thats part of the problem. My RI says we (well, I) have to slow him down as he tends to charge over them.

I think they do thrive on the excitement of it all

Jenny and Tyler
x

Alps gets excited about anything he has to "think about", so jumps under 2'6 he really can't be bothered with but anything over 3' or grids, combinations etc. that he finds challenging he gets really enthusiastic about. I think it's just when it's something knew and not the usual tedium they get more excited about it :)

mine just loves to jump always has she gets so excited. let her loose in the sand ring before and she jumped a showjumping fence by herself!
im trying to get her fit again now but she cant jump yet after her injury. We were trotting past a jump the other day and she got excited and started pulling me towards it.

I know a pony I worked with loved jumping, but you could NOT get him to go over one - he would refuse over and over again till you put the jum on the ground and then he would clear it as though it were up, put it back up and he would clear it for the rest of his life!

I think they just do it for the excitement of it, and the praise, I know Jack wouldn't go over a jump if just previously you had had a bad run and jabbed him bad in the mouth 'cause he was scared of getting jabbed in the mouth again. (Though sometimes he could be a pain to get up into a canter to go over a jump - silly plod).

Mayo likes to jump though I don't think its natural, in the wild they would go round any obsticals instead of jump them and I'm sure there wouldn't be that much they needed to jump, specially not the hight that we ask them too and one after anouther. I always wonder how good to much of it is for their joints too.

My boy loves jumping-more so at home cos Im a nervous wreck at shows :eek:
The bigger the better as well-if I have only puts little ones up he is less than enthuasiastic about them, but put something up to get his teeth into & he is like wa-hay!!!! :D:D:D:D

I don't think they all love jumping, I think sometimes people often think horses rushing into jumps means they are enjoying it... I'm sure I've read something to the contrary - they are sometimes just trying to get it over with or something - can't remember, too many bumps on the head!!:eek:

Mimi must be the exception to the rule - her view on jumping is why go over it when you can go through it :eek::eek::eek: We are talking showjumps here, she goes quite well over cross-country :)

you do also see horses (my new horse) who have been chased over fences on the lunge and who panic and blindling run over fences as they think they're going to get hit otherwise. Also they have only ever been galloped over fences, so thats what they think we want them to alwys do.

(I've retrain him btw, he's can jump now in a nice walk/trot/canter staying balanced with no rushing no loose rein if needs be)

Mayo likes to jump though I don't think its natural, in the wild they would go round any obsticals instead of jump them and I'm sure there wouldn't be that much they needed to jump, specially not the hight that we ask them too and one after anouther. I always wonder how good to much of it is for their joints too.

sorry to butt in, but I always think that too about the joints.
When you see how the horse lands over a big jump in slow-mo and think of all the weight being thrown over the jump, it must be hell on their front legs!
Speshly when you get those "rabbit pop" jumps when the horse just goes up rather than up and across!

Don't get me wrong though, I love jumping...but I do cringe watching horses land over jumps sometimes!

I don't think they all love jumping, I think sometimes people often think horses rushing into jumps means they are enjoying it... I'm sure I've read something to the contrary - they are sometimes just trying to get it over with or something - can't remember, too many bumps on the head!!:eek:

....i was walking couple horses and i always ask about their temperament etc, what they like and i have got the answers, that they din't like jumping....

sorry to butt in, but I always think that too about the joints.
When you see how the horse lands over a big jump in slow-mo and think of all the weight being thrown over the jump, it must be hell on their front legs!
Speshly when you get those "rabbit pop" jumps when the horse just goes up rather than up and across!

Don't get me wrong though, I love jumping...but I do cringe watching horses land over jumps sometimes!

Well thats what I always think, wonder if theres been any research done into the effects of it on horses!

newrider.com