Why do you hate Wintec?

I had the saddler out today. She was lovely. Now, if you're easily shocked, find a seat - Hogan's saddle was - wait for it - too wide! Blow me down! She actually said it wasn't too bad at all, but because he has fat pads on his shoulder, rather than muscle (surprise!) it was pressing on either side. She did a little flocking, and put a shim pad on. I'm rubbish usually at feeling anything, but I could feel the difference. He was very underwhelmed at having to go up and down the lane 3 times - we had a few flailing leg moments when it came to trotting. Luckily there is the same pad on ebay, so I've bid for it.

It will be interesting to see if this will help with his occasional moments.
His back is definitely wide, but he maybe less so at the wither.

Reactions: Huggy
I'm swithering as to whether I wait for the pad before I ride him, and just walk him out. What does everyone think?

@Huggy can you make up something similar until the one you've ordered arrives? How long is it likely to take? If it's just a couple of days I'd wait to ride, but if it's much longer than that I'd try to rig up something similar to be going on with.

Reactions: Huggy
I had a wintec for soli when I first got him. He was a lanky 5yo just out of racing. It suited him well and I actually really liked it. Once he was a grown up he got a leather dressage saddle. The wintec sold for similar that i bought it for but I had bought it knowing it probably wouldn’t suit for ever but was cheep enough that j didn’t mind changing.

@Huggy can you make up something similar until the one you've ordered arrives? How long is it likely to take? If it's just a couple of days I'd wait to ride, but if it's much longer than that I'd try to rig up something similar to be going on with.
The saddler sent me a link to one on ebay, so have just bought it - if it works its a lot cheaper than a new saddle, and I do love my saddle!

Reactions: carthorse
Not all Wintecs are created equal. I've experienced my fair share of crappy ones and a few that were pretty good. It depends on the model, the horse and the rider. They are hit or miss, mostly miss. I won't say I hate them, but they are not my first choice.

Wintec and Bates are both crap. I find both of them will chairseat a rider and have never seen one that fit well. They can achieve an acceptable fit on some horses. That said, they are feast of famine. I find that people either love them or hate them with no middle ground.

This is a positively ancient thread! I daresay Wintecs have moved on since it started, and Bates make some good saddles but it's back to fact they must fit horse and rider. A chair seat is largely the responsibility of the rider imo, the saddle may not help but unless the design is atrocious it won't cause it.

newrider.com