Why doesn't anyone make....

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
... an intensive moisturiser for horses which also contains whatever they use in mane and tail detangled to make the hair slippery?

Sid has had his usual spring grass flare-up of mallenders (hyperkeratosis). I treat it with aloe vera gel and it helps no end. However, all the excess skin then falls off and gets stuck in his sticky feathers. He doesn't mind having the gel applied, but he really hates having the bits coaxed out of foot long feathers which are gunged up with gel!

If only there was something which would moisturise his skin AND help the feathers release the bits. In a handy bottle with a moveable squirty spout.

I go over her with a cat nit comb and then sudeocream. Repeat as necessary.
One thing I noticed helped was actually trimming the chestnut and the hair from that area itself.
It does fall off to an extent.

Have you tried udder salve? It doesn't come in a squirty bottle but it does rub through hair and I find when Luka's legs dry overnight the mud hasn't stuck to the areas where I've used it and any scabby bits soon soften and rub out.

It’s normally silicone in the mane and tail stuff that makes it slippy. Could you try some vitamin E oil? it’s really good for skin and hair and might be slippy enough to let the bits slide out.

@Jessey I have tried numerous different oils and in general they seem to do the same as the allow vera, i.e. they make the hair stick together in sort-of dreadlocks. Whereupon the bits stick to. But I haven't tried vitamin E oil specifically - I'll have a look :)

@carthorse does Luka have feather? I can't remember. I almost wish the vet hadn't told me to keep Sid's feathers on to help the mallenders. Though I do love his pom poms ;)

@Jane&Ziggy yes, though I do keep them trimmed back because I don't like not knowing what's going on underneath them. I don't clip right down to skin, instead I leave maybe an inch or two on and trim out the pastern area. Left untrimmed he has a lot, it comes from the knee and hock! Also when he's that hairy getting him to walk through mud is nigh on impossible and he's too ruddy big to carry 🤣

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
newrider.com