Why I think third party insurance should be compulsory for all road users!!!!!!

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
I'm fuming!!! What do we think of this damage done to my parked car???

image_zpsoe4pzcld.jpeg

image_zpskzpbbhsy.jpeg

image_zpstptmtgfj.jpeg

image_zpsfrmbw1gd.jpeg

image_zpsolxn1yme.jpeg

image_zpsd9tlaccs.jpeg

image_zpsdhmjyj3t.jpeg

image_zpst4gxlcct.jpeg

Now for info the car was parked outside of my house, I was in bed asleep, this incident occurred at 10pm so at no point was I in or near the car nor was the car running.

A mountain biker/cyclist hit my car which the insurance company is trying to write off, I have his details as to the police and my insurance company, but I'm not sure where I stand as I don't want the car written off and they aren't offering as much as the car is worth nor enough for me to replace the car.

Being out on the roads the vast majority of my riding time even if I cannot have vets fees insurance I'll always have third party as anything can happen, imagine Kia did this to a car?? I don't think I could live with myself just walking away :(

Why is that a write off? It's repairable.
How fast was the cyclist going! I would offer to pay if I caused that.

He insurance company has decided that the repairs using new parts are more than they think the car is worth.

I am having independent garages assess the car for quotes. If they are decent then I will hopefully have it fixed as its a great wee car

He was going well in excess of the speed limit in this area which is 20mph. He flew over the car apparently. And him and his bike were a good car length and a half from the car when they landed. My neighbour saw the whole thing and woke me up, I didn't hear a thing.

one of my old cars was going to be written off when a prat reversed into. Was only light damage but car was an old faithful.

After talking to the insurance company they offered me a lump sum of cash instead, which I took and fixed the car at a local garage, rather then one of their recommended bodyshops I had to take it to.

Reactions: MrC
How is the cyclist? Just out of curiosity but if they were going that fast and did that much damage they must be injured?

I remember reading similar to this a while back and the cyclist made a claim on their house insurance to cover the car repairs. Something about their property damaging someone else's property. I've read similar a few times but I've no idea on any more details I'm afraid, but may be worth looking into.

I'm a cyclist and I don't have 3rd party, although it's something I would consider now I've thought about it.

3rd party insurance is so cheap, I don't see why people wouldn't have it. Esp with horses, BHS, WHW etc all offer it as part of their membership package and the annual charge is nothing really.

That is why I got the rider only insurance. However it is true that many people have 3rd party liability insurance as part of their home insurance policy. However you dont get that if you are too young to own or rent a home.
As I posted before, I think cyclists should keep to the speed limits which they ignore round here, including where we ride. My own family members are guilty too with the excuse that they are in training .

I have 3rd party for ale.

I also have never broken the speed limit on my bike, or jumped a red light.

Most house insurance will have some public liablity clause in it for personal claims like that

That's awful and so frustrating. I'm a bit concerned about the biker too but he must have been away with the fairies to whack into your poor little car at such speed.

That's an awful lot of damage for a cyclist to do to a stationary car !! It looks like your bonnet,, bumper, wing and passenger door are damaged . How on earth did they manage to hit that many panels? That really sucks...

That's an awful lot of damage for a cyclist to do to a stationary car !! It looks like your bonnet,, bumper, wing and passenger door are damaged . How on earth did they manage to hit that many panels?

How much damage could they do to our horses :eek:

The car is a write off and I'm being forced to accept a hell of a lot less money than what I bought it for 5 months ago :(

The car is a write off and I'm being forced to accept a hell of a lot less money than what I bought it for 5 months ago :(

You might have already tried this but ..... when my car was written off after an accident the insurance company also offered me a really low amount that wouldn't have covered a replacement. I sent them two adverts of almost identical cars (make, model, condition, mileage etc) and they agreed they had undervalued it and upped the pay out so I was able to buy almost like-for-like. It might be worth a few searches on Autotrader just to see if they'll increase it at all. Good luck.

The cyclist refused my offer of a lift to the hospital or an ambulance.

I have tried this they aren't budging so I have been left majorly out of pocket and will probably have to do my best with the money I've got.

The galling thing is the worst this 11yr old car had on it damage wise before this was a few scratches :( and I've only had it 5 months :(

Have you got his details?
How the hell did he run into a parked car, He must have been going a hell of a belt to make dints like those

Yes I did but apparently he could counter sue me for parking facing the wrong way on a residential well lit street under a streetlight. Apparently I could be prosecuted for this even though there was a line of cars in front on mine then a gap then cars behind.

He admitted to me and my neighbour that he might have hit a stone and bounced into my car. They were going some whack as my neighbour witnessed him flying over the car and saw him through his living room window whilst sitting on his couch, flying through the air.

More than likely they were flying down the hill my house sits on using the speed bumps as jumps. Even the police admitted he was going more than the 20mph speed limit.

newrider.com