Wintec . . . Cair or flock??

Hugo10

Dec 26, 2007
Hi,

Question in the title really. I ride in a wintec GP with flock but I am wanting to buy a dressage saddle. Going to get the wintec 500 one (as I like the fit of the one he has already) but not sure whether to pay the extra and have it with cair instead??

What do you think?? :)

I definitely prefer the CAIR system. At my last yard, every riding school horse was changed to the CAIR Wintec system, several of them being tricky to fit, having problematic backs or resentful of the saddle. They were practically transformed and were obviously mroe comfortable, moving more freely and becoming less grumpy.
I would defintiely recommend it for your horse's increased comfort and the even distribution of weight.
While I'm aware it's not for everyone, I would at least have it on trial.

x

i'd see if you can try a cair fitted saddle before commiting to purchasing one. some horses really don't like cair, others do. so definately test drive one before you buy :)

well all ive ever used was flock, but wouldnt mine try the CAIR system, but then ive always liked flock, i find if a saddle is flocked right the saddle balance and spreads weight out nicely across the horses back, the flocking softens out nicely and doesnt put any pressure on the horse back in the wrong places

You could contact Wintec asking them for details (pros and cons) about both types. They should give a balanced argument as they supply both ...

x

I beleive flock would be easier for saddle fitter to adjust? But I could be talking rubbish. ;)

No, you're not talking rubbish as I asked my saddler.
However, she doesn't like Wintecs as they tend to bounce around more than some other synthetics and the pressure test are apparently better with Thorogoods (but huge pinch of salt as she chose to sell Thorogoods)

No, you're not talking rubbish as I asked my saddler.
However, she doesn't like Wintecs as they tend to bounce around more than some other synthetics and the pressure test are apparently better with Thorogoods (but huge pinch of salt as she chose to sell Thorogoods)

Yeah there's a bit on their website that says something about pressure testing: http://www.thorowgood.com/uk/whats_new.htm
But like you say, probably best to take it with a pinch of salt as they probably would say that!

ETA: Sorry for going off topic a bit there!

Hia,

I use wintec icelandic's on all of mine with the flock and ive found its really good.I had a CAIR one for my Fjord and she hated it and so did i but i guess everyone has there likes and dislikes.

I wouldnt use any other synthetic now.Although i want a posh leather joby for sport horse :p hmmm £1600 and thats before shipping it from iceland to here...may have to wait a few years!

I have a Wintec Cair for one of my boys and a Thorowgood flock for the other. In my experience its always the flock boy that the physio finds pressure problems with and my Cair boy just has a glorified massage. Just my experience of course but owning both, I definately would go for Cair:D

I’ve personally always bought flock, I don’t really like trying out new things so I haven’t spent much time in a cair saddle. When I did it felt no different to sit in for me. Some saddlers will let you trial saddles so it might be worth asking to have a ride in both and see what is most comfortable for the horse

newrider.com