Winter Feeding

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Hi

The Dalesy type mare i have bought is not under weight nor over weight. I think she will be a good do-er through the winter but could do with some advice.

At the moment she is on box rest but as from saturday she will be out all day and in at night. I have been feeding her twice daily because she has been on medication.
But i will be feeding her at night only from saturday. The grass they are turned out on is not brill but its just the point of being out for her.
I will give her haylage (medium size net) at night. I was going to continue with Alfa- A about a scoop and a half and a scoop of quiet or pasture mix and a scoop of suger beet do you think this sounds okay.
While shes been in shes had as much halage as she wants and 2 scoops of Alfa -A only but twice daily.
She 14 .2 and 11 years old will were a rug.
If anyone can give me advice i would really appriciate it.

Sounds fine to me. There's just one or two things I'd add - one is that I'd continue to feed ad lib forage (haylage or, if she's gaining weight, hay) at night - partly to keep her occupied and prevent boredom, partly because research shows it's much healthier to ensure the horse's gut has a continual supply of food.

The other would be to add a broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement - good doers on low concentrate diets often lack for something and this will ensure she doesn't.

Otherwise it sounds fine - be guided by your mare's weight and you won't go much wrong.

it sounds good but watch if she is a bit fizzy as alalfa-a is quite high in protein and too much can make them fizzy, if this happens feed unmolassed chaff,
i have the prob with my anglo arab mare as she is fizzy and the alalfa -a made her worse i do still feed it but not in such a large amount, it is a good feed though as it is high fibre ,but i also use chafas well.

newrider.com