Wish me some NR luck please

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Going to go catch madam and tack up for the first time since her injections. Not sure how I feel.............they might take up to four weeks to work, but I am a little apprehensive about how she will behave, given the fact that there has been snow this week and she's been confined to the school mainly until this morning - so a bit of attitude is likely!!! I am going to don my bp of course - it probably restricts me but I will only regret not wearing it, seeing as both my falls from her have happened when I've not been wearing it..........:skull:
Anyway, Mr T is coming with me to scrape me up off the arena floor if necessary. I can delay no longer - au revoir................:giggle:

I go with hoe I feel at the time, usually means hopping on bareback as I can't be bothered with saddle.
Eben if you just sit on, its still be at one with your horse, meaning you read yourself and not just them.

Thanks people! Had a lovely short ride - OH drew a smiling rabbit in the snow that was still lurking at the far end which made me laugh and not be so tense!!lol
She didn't stumble either which is a plus - tho I won't be too upset if it happens again as vet said it could take a while. She was really calm and good too - what a good girl. Back out now munching with Chloe in the sun.

Trewsers - I just wonder how old your bp is and whether you cant find one that fits better? OH, me and grand daugher all wear our bps whenever we ride and to be honest, a well fitted bp isnt something you should be aware of once you have been wearing it for 3 minutes.
One of our RIs told me I was wearing mine too tight. That I needed to let it out so I could breath properly in my lesson, so I did this and let out the lower straps a bit. That is why you need bps to fit well round the shoulders, so they will be sure to remain in place if you fall, even if you have left space lower down to breathe easily.

It is Rodney Powell one which I had fitted at our local RS tack shop - it does fit okay but I think what it is is that I get used to going without from time to time. I have had it 6 years so maybe time to invest in a new one?

I think Skib might have a point here. I can vaguely remember reading somewhere that whatever the padding is that most BPs are made of, it can deteriorate after sometime, so they should be replaced. But I can't for the life of me remember how long the time span was before you need to do that.

Well done on getting out there and on her though, tis always daunting after an enforced lay off isn't it?:happy:

I do feel so much happier now I've ridden her again - it's silly how I build it all up into something huge.............and the bonus of course was how loose she felt. Very pleased. Now I can start building her up again gradually - before the stumbling / stiffness kicked in a month or so ago, she'd actually started to take some shape and not just look like a white sausage with balloon art legs.............lol. I am going to make a chart of our progress and keep it in the tack room, otherwise I will lose track of the whole thing and end up not doing enough slow work and go blundering in towards stuff I should be taking my time with.

I thought it was 5 years, but updated mine as soon as I got a youngster. Bought a new up to date hat as well.
In the cold they take a while to warm up to you.

Well done Mrs, you are daft lol. You are a bit like me, the longer you leave it and think about it the worse it gets! :smile:

I think Storm will be fine by Summer, we will all be out, enjoying, and building up our reserves again for next winter.

Really pleased you had a nice ride on Storm I know how nervous you must be about her hocks.

Chanter is not great at the moment but actually better since being turned out 24/7. I keep to lots of walk and lateral work some very gentle trot and some loss canter as this seems to suit him best.

Brilliant news, well done missus :biggrin:

It is difficult isn't it, I used to worry so much that Harv's hocks were hurting him, am sure I made things 10 times worse by being tense and worried, so he thought what the hell's up with mum and off it would spiral!

Onwards and upwards for summer (please can we have one this year?)

Thanks again everyone - weather rubbish today, so very glad I got chance yesterday, as the first ride after a break always makes me tense and coupled with sleet wouldn't have gone down well! I may not bother today afterall, but I know that she will be fine tomorrow should the weather be normal again ( what is with all this sleet and snow?!)

newrider.com