Working hours

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Me and my physio, I say mine I mean soxs! We were talking partly, about working patterns. How she does 9-6pm mainly were as I work shifts. She was saying how she would love the shifts that I do. It got me thinking really. I would love a 8-4 job really. But I like my shift work too. It generally fits in well with the horse but nt really with other parts of my life. So I was wondering do you all like your working hours ? Or would you change them Go to shift work etc? My hours are either 7am - 3pm, 12 noon - 8pm. Or sometimes, though rarely I do 7am-8pm.

On paper I do 8-5:30 everyday (except Wednesday's). But I work from home so on the whole I do do those hours but I sometimes work some evenings to have some time off during the day.

Suits me perfectly, hope it never changes!

I don't have any fixed hours, sometimes I feel that I don't work at all and sometimes I feel that I work all the time! That's a portfolio career for you.

I used to hate shift work!! I'm very fortunate I now work from 7.30 till about 3pm and I absolutely love it!!

'Technically' I work 9-5.30pm.

However, at least 2 or 3 days a week are currently being spent travelling out of the office - it's not uncommon for me to be on a 6.30am train to somewhere or returning in the evening/late night (or the odd early hours!) and take calls/emails in that time.

I certainly don't stay in the office (if I return) until 5.30pm on the days I've travelled so early.

Tomorrow, it looks like I'm in the office until 8-9pm ...so I won't be in at 9am either!

As long as I can plan my diary in advance, so I know when I need to use yard assistance for Pete, I have no issue in theory with my hours (well, other than an office busy body who doesn't think I do 'full time hours' as I'm not always in my desk chair between 9-5.30 :D ).

My hours are 8.30 to 4.30 but I have to leave the house at 7 and get home about 6, assuming I finish on time. It's better in summer during the school holidays as the roads aren't as busy.

Especially at this time of year I quite fancy the idea of working shifts just so I could get to see my horse in daylight and maybe even ride. Not sure I would like the even earlier starts or late finishes though ... Nothing is ever perfect is it?

Have just applied to reduce my hours to 4 days a week plus have a laptop to work from home one or two days. It's because my mum isn't too well though, not so I can ride more unfortunately!

My shifts generally mean that I can ride either in the morning or in the early evening. But getting up at 5am everyday for 5 days is a killer. What is also hard is finishing work at 8pm and then your back at work 7am the next morning

I work shifts as well

7.50 - 3.20
10.30 - 6pm

Alternate weeks and I work 3/4 weekends now. So i have to say I am finding it hard to do everything that I used to do at present, just glad that Kia isn't in work as there wouldn't be enough hours in the day otherwise.

I do 8.15am to 3.30pm. But my job is over the other side of town and takes me just over an hour to get there in the morning and an hour and a half to get back. (That's with a destination of the horses as I see them before and after work)

I have to get up at 4.45am and sometimes don't get home until 8pm. So I'm often too tired to do anything else!

I do 7-3.30 m-f but running a 24/7 operation I can get calls at any time and often have to stay late. I also work 1 shift a week in a pub, 7pm - closing which is generally around midnight, the day after is always tough!
The hours are good in that even in the depths of winter I get a little daylight time with the horses but the 5am starts every day are a killer. I don't think I could do shifts that change daily, I wouldn't mind all lates or all earlies but the lack of routine wouldn't suit me if they changed a lot.

I am so lucky, my work hours are 11.00 until 5.00 so I get all my horse time in the morning before work, even better just now as I'm on a new site literally 7 minutes from home.... bliss. The only downside is I work every weekend and bank holiday.

Reactions: Trewsers
I have young children so I work part time, 2 days per week between 8am and 4:45pm. I hate the job, the hours and everything about it apart from the money! I only stick at it because I can't find another part time job on 2 days per week for similar money. If it wasn't for NR keeping me company at work I really would go crazy!

I work school hours (9-3) five days a week so no wrap around care is needed for my daughter as her school is only 6 minutes from work.

This time of year I don't do much at all with my horse during the week although this week has been busy as one day was the farrier, the next day was someone to clip him, and then the vet tmw and the dentist on Friday ! I schedule everything after work and from 4pm that way I can leave small one with her father and it doesn't impact on his work day to much (he's SE so his work hours are sporadic) but he takes her to school each morning.

I'm self employed and work from home which is fab. I do whatever hours I want. I try to avoid working before 10 so I can ride first thing. And most days I finish work by 3:00 so can ride with the girls after school. Then I catch up on work in the evenings. I am very lucky.

Reactions: Ruskii
I'm self employed and work from home which is fab. I do whatever hours I want. I try to avoid working before 10 so I can ride first thing. And most days I finish work by 3:00 so can ride with the girls after school. Then I catch up on work in the evenings. I am very lucky.
It's posts like this that make me think about going SE in a few years again. I used to do the same thing and still do work in the evening for the small amount of SE work do .... maybe one day !

newrider.com