Working in the Horse Racing Industry/NVQs in General

autumnsky

*a l e x
Oct 26, 2005
Cumbria
I've been doing a lot of research on working in the horse racing industry. If I go to the Northern Racing College after I've done my GCSEs, I could get tuition, accomodation etc for free and do my NVQs instead of staying at school and doing my A Levels. I know everyone says do your A Levels etc, but what about NVQs - I mean they're recognised qualifications and I'm definitely sure I want to work with horses. What do you think?

NVQ's are National Vocational Qualifications which is work based. This is alot more practical than colleges as you will be working on the yard and getting paid (usually minimum wage)

This is a good way to gain experience in your chosen work field and you do your theory work at your own pace (I think)

I could go on and on but have a look at this page to give you more insight :)

http://www.qca.org.uk/14-19/qualifications/index_nvqs.htm

Hope I have helped :):D

hey!
Im a wannabe jockey :D
Im doing my A levels (hate it and then im off to the BRS (british racing school - www.brs.org.uk).
Some of my best mates went to the NRC (www.northernracingcollege.co.uk) and they all loved it and love life in general.

Its seriously tough (i used to live next door to a racing yard and the assistant trainer sold me my horse and is a close friend - he often took me to the yard with him and i got to know some of the lads pretty well) the assistant trainer works 5.30am often till 6pm and rides out about 3 lots a day.

PM me if you want a summary of a typical day or anything else. if i dont know the answer i can buzz one of my mates.

I love horse racing, but went to the northern racing college and hated it, but i am now doing a national diploma in horse management and absoulutley loving it, i still want to work in racing dont get me wrong and i am hopefully going back to the northern racing college as it is a brilliant place, but i wasnt suited, try it you are young enough to try different things as i have found out.
xXx

I am really interested in going to the Northern Racing College, I have been looking at the website a lot and I'm making a presentation for my parents! I want to go after year eleven, but my parents won't let me unless I've got them convinced. Thanks so much for your help guys, you've been really useful.

EDIT: Thank you for that link Hal, it was really informative!

newrider.com