Would it be selfish to move away?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Me and my husband are toying with the idea of selling up and buying somewhere mortgage free in Northumberland using the capital from our house. He works in finance in the City, but without the pressure of a big mortgage, he wouldn't need to be earning the same kind of salary. I am freelance and can work anywhere, moving wouldn't affect my income. We'd both like to live somewhere more rural, and cheaper, but still with good schools etc. I would like to buy a bit of land to put Roxy on, and that's an impossible dream if we stay here, where it's upwards of £30K for an acre.

The only thing is, our families are both based in the south, mine in Devon and his in Berkshire. Mine would cope - my sister lives a few miles from my parents with her kids - but my husband's parents haven't got any grandkids apart from ours, nor will they. Mind you, they haven't got any friends either so nothing to stop them moving north to be near us! Would it be selfish to move away, with parents not getting any younger, or should you follow your dreams? I don't know! What are your thoughts?

I am following my dreams - my parents are both getting on - and the rest of my family are scattered across the uk. When we finally do sell we will be mortage free and then OH can stop worrying and having to do 12 hour days. Plus he'll have more riding time! I don't think moving and following your dreams is selfish at all. We are only on this earth the once - make the most of it.

Perhaps I am selfish but I think you should follow your dreams, its not like you are saying goodbye forever and they are able to care for themselves, you will just be a few hours away and if you had a lovely big country home they could all come and visit you :D

And the other thing is the transport system is good here, we can get from one end of the world quite hassle free now - let alone the uk! I know Orkney / Shetland are a little more lengthy and will take some getting the hang of but Northumberland is hardly that far.......or anywhere else come to think of it. There's plenty of planes, trains and automobiles!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
And the other thing is the transport system is good here, we can get from one end of the world quite hassle free now - let alone the uk! I know Orkney / Shetland are a little more lengthy and will take some getting the hang of but Northumberland is hardly that far.......or anywhere else come to think of it. There's plenty of planes, trains and automobiles!
I'm a southerner - Devon lass - it seems a long way to me! Ha!

Reactions: Trewsers
I am 5 hours from my mum but the way I figure it she can move! There is nothing tying her to Dorset. She knows she is welcome to come and live with us if she ever wants to/needs to.

Move. Life is for living not window shopping. :)
My parents moved away as that's where their lives went. I'm happy for them if they are.
These days what's distance in a car? We have phones, emails, welcome, the old fashioned letter.

Follow your dreams like everyone else has said. We are forced to live in the SE as my husband is an IT contractor and this is where the work is. My kids are settled in school etc. and I wouldn't move them unless I had to. However, when my youngest turns 18 we plan to move somewhere much more remote away from other people!

newrider.com