Would love to get back into riding but....

Kezzabelle

LOVE IT
Nov 28, 2002
Scotland!
Visit site
Im scared :( basically.

I should re-introduce myself as basically im a lurker on here (due to my lack of horseness) I started riding when i was 10, went to a not so good riding school for 5 years (!) as it was the only 1 in my area and i was horse mad. I didnt learn as much as i should have really and how i was taught wasnt very good. At 15, i gave up riding and then took it up up again at 19 went to a weekly lesson at a further away riding school. I had to give up due to work. A few months later i met an old work friend in a club who needed help with her horse. I took her horse on part loan over the summer last year, but the whole time i was pretty nervy. Her horse was a great eventer, very forward going etc and a bit of a madam at times. - Totally not what i was used to (used to riding ploddies). At the end of the summer i had to give her up due to college.

Im finishing college in January and i miss riding. I'd love to get back into it but my confidence is shattered and ive no idea why :confused: Ive never had a bad accident. I worry about falling off and due to being a bit over weight i worry about seriously injuring myself if i hit the deck.

Thanks for reading, i would be greatful for any advice.

Kez xx

i would say, look around at all the riding schools you have access to and get a few private lessons, even once a fortnight or something if its far away or expensive and tell them you are a bit nervous.
Hopefully this would get your confidence up.

I'm in a similar position to you - I rode from when I was 7 to when I was about 15, gave it up and just recently took it up again (age 18). When I started riding again I found that I had lost a lot of confidence - even though I had had no accidents or even scary incidents.
I've just started sharing a horse - a Novice eventer who sounds like the one you rode - he's quite highly strung. I'm only just starting to get some confidence on him - and its due to one thing - practice.
You probably just need to get some more riding time in. Try to find a good riding school - not just any one, with an instructor that you get on well with and some good horses. Have a few lessons there - maybe private if this is less scary. If you're anything like me you'll find you're getting back into it and your confidence will soar.
Dont worry if you feel nervous - riding can be dangerous and you have every right to be scared. Just take it a step at a time and get your confidence up doing small things at first - dont just expect to lose your fear straight away.
I hope this helps - I might just be talking rubbish here but this is what worked for me and we do seem to be in a similar situation.
Just take it slow and confidence will come with time. Good luck!

Hi kezz

It's quite a big shock coming from riding school horses an ponies to eventers.

Think you got thrown in at the deep end there a bit, but you can add it to your experience now.

Another sad fact of life though for us horse owners as you get older you do become more nervous whether we have had a fall or not. It just comes down to you get more careful when you are older and you have more responsibilities to think of.

Your not alone.

Try a riding school again by all means but have a private lesson and get some feedback from the instrutor as to far she thinks you are with your riding and take it from there.

Hiya Kezzabelle, it's nice to here from you again.

I completely understand the situation you are in. You really want to, but then again you don't want to start riding again. But I think after a few good, confidence-boosting lessons, you'll be feeling a lot better about it all.

I know it can be difficult if you're not near to a riding school which is good, but it really would be worth it.

Good luckw ith it all, and I hope to be hearing how you're getting on with riding in a little while :D You know you want to :p:D

Don't worry. What you are feeling is not that unusual.
Sometimes when you don't do an activity for a while it gets more scarey.
I feel that way about jumping. I get nervous. Then I do it and I feel better about it.

Take a few lessons and you will enjoy it again

I'm in the same boat, but nearing hte end. I rode at ten, then not again until I was 36. Trust me, I'm quite sure that horse could hear my knees clanking together from shaking the first time back on. LOL

I've talked to riders that got a little nervous from a month off. So it's understandable to have a little nerves going back. just do easy stuff to build confidence I heard and a few folks have recommended after a while gaining confidence doing bareback on a pad. (I've never done it, just passing along what I heard)

Keep on going though, even when scared eventually you're body gets sick of being uptight all the time and your mind quiets down.

Thank you for all the replies!

I guess ive just got to take the plunge! I will make it my new years resolution. I just need to stop my mind working over time :rolleyes: Its like whenever i hear of an accident on here or else where, i think "phew im glad i dont ride" but then a while later i start wishing i did ride because i miss it so much. I also have a made to measure body protecter still in its wrapper - i really should put it to some use ;)

I'll need to start my search for a school, surely someone will have big gentle ploddy for me to ride :D

If anyone knows of any good schools near the southside of Glasgow, let me know :)

thanks again

Kez xx

I too have just returned after a twelve year break. Taken my step one no about 10 steps further and bought a horse, a stallion no less, but I am quite a confident rider and the horse I have bought is young and there will be some months before I can actually get on him but in that time I plan to form a strong bond.

Take the plunge, I don´t think you will regret it, I personal can´t remember the last time I had so much enjoyment out of life:)

Why not consider volunteering at your local Riding for Disabled Riding Centre. This will give you a tremendous boost of confidence I am sure. They need all types of people to help out and do lots of different things, not just running around leading a pony etc, but mucking our, grooming, tacking up and all sorts of general yard duties. Also a great way to help others perhaps less fortunate than yourself as well, and something to help improve their lives, all along with learning more about horses, and ponies that are gentle and chosen for the type of job they do. You should be able to find your local centre by getting onto their Web site or even talking to local disabled groups.
As for being a little overweight, please never let that put you off, it did me for years and years, I have a wonderful 14.2 cob with about 8 12/2 inch of bone, so borne to carry weights, namely me!!! We do a bit of everything, dressage, cross country, jumping to 3', hacking (lots of this) and looking to start Le Trec next year.
If you keep trying and trying, never give up, stay determined and focused your dream will be reality sooner than you think.
Good luck for next years resolutions, even if you break them do not give up on you or them. I am glad I didn't as I would not change things for anything now.

Thats a great idea Shirley :) I had never thought about the RDA. I'll definitley look into that.
Your cob sounds great - the sooner i get back in the saddle, the sooner i'll get my confidence back, then i can have a nice cob of my own :) Cant wait!

Thanks for the support! :D

Kez xx

I still suffer from the fact that I get nervous!! I also started riding when I was younger (about 5 I think) and then gaveup at about the age of 14. Last march started lessons everyweek. For some reason my confidence didn't grow that much as I found myself freezing at any little thing. September I took a horse on loan and he did wonders for my confidence as far as working with a horse goes BUT not riding.

I recently got my own mare called katie and slowly but surely my nerves are going! I know I can ride I'm just a bit out of practice. The lady that owns the yard where I keep my mare is always giving me reassuance and the main thing is you can think what u want in your head but relax your body. The more you do this when riding the more you'll have to stop thinking any negative thoughts. I also wear a body protetor and just ride along thinking if I do fall off it wont hurt as much. I know I'm babbling but if any of what I said sounds familiar it really does work. What you also needs to remember isonly do what you're happy doing ie, walk, trot.

Nervousness is just a fear of the unknown! Don't worry about it, find a good stable with a quiet horse for you, book a week or two in advance and think nothing more of it. Get a good book or something, just don't think about it.

Good luck!

I think you should book yourself a lesson at a good riding school, on a safe horse and just go for it girl :D
I did that this summer and havent looked back :D I am now regularly riding a gorgeous cob.

Glasgow Schools

Hi

I have been (unsuccessfully) looking to find a decent school to ride at in Ayrshire since my school closed down before Xmas and am now about to widen my search to South Glasgow - haven't found anywhere yet but would be glad to let you know if I do.

Meanwhile could you let me know (by pm if you prefer) where your previous school was - as it will save me a visit if it wasn't great - doesn't begin with a "B" does it?

Like you I re-started after a long break and if I don't get back into it again quickly I think I will get the wobblies and never get back on!:eek:

Hiya Kezzabelle

Well, mabey you could ask a friend to start taking lessons with you, find a good school together and have fun with it. Experiences shared are always more exciting and then you have always someone to laugh with and moan with about your lesson afterwards.. Good luck, and many happy rides :)

Hi sorry i havent replied in a while!

Yes my previous school was a place that started with a B ;) - It was a great school up until an accident me and my sister were involved in. My sister wanted to have a go at riding. my instructor thought it would be easier if we had our lesson together, because we stay quite far away. Bearing in mind my sister is a complete novice, we went into the school on our horses. The instructor gave us both things to do. She asked my sister to halt and asked me to canter. I cantered on and my sisters pony decided to follow. my sister fell off and broke her arm and now will not go near a horse, its a shame really. I was a little shaken and now have a different perspective on riding.

It did seem a logical idea at the time, but looking back now just seems dangerous. They of course denied having any responsibilty - saying that usually when one horse is working the others will just stand. And i thought horses where herd animals!! I think my sisters pony was only doing was natural to it and due to my sister being a total novice, had no control.

maybe this has a lot to do with why im losing my nerve on riding?

Kez x

I think your sister's awful accident could well have contributed to your unease with riding.

You can always go to riding schools and explain that you saw a nasty accident, so you're not very confident, and you need confidence building lessons. You could discuss riding shorter horses to help you with the concern about landing had? They should, hopefully, be able to accomodate you if you're clear about what you need.

Alternatively, you could advertise looking to loan/share a confidence builder, and see if anything turns up.

You don't have to go into it thinking that you're going to be riding something else that will make you nervy. You can set yourself up to win.

Hey Kezzabelle,

I have also been to the infamous 'B' school! I gave up riding there when I was about 13-14, as I lost all confidence after being put on one unsuitable horse after another. I currently ride at Hazelden in Mearnskirk, and I love it. I didn't realise how awful 'B' was until I started there, when I was 20. The horses are excellent and the instructors are great. They've got an indoor and outdoor school too.
Give them a call and explain your situation. Hope this helps!

Hi Decibelle, Thanks for the hazeldene idea! Hadnt thought of going there - the last i heard there was a waiting list ? Could you give me some info on hazeldence, eg. lesson prices and where abouts they are. Feel free to pm if you like. :D

Also thanks to everyone for posting, your really helping me get there! Its great to see everyone whos had a break from riding now having a great time! Also TWH addict, your idea about going with a friend, thats a good one. Wonder if i could convince the other half ;) :D

Kez x

Last edited:
newrider.com