Would you ask for anything?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Some people I know have borrowed my whole fencing set up as I'm not currently using it and they were desperate (think hysterical phone call)

I assumed it was a short term thing as they were talking about the yard sorting another solution the following week. That has not happened, it's been a month, and they've now asked to buy the fencing. I said no as I might need it at some point and would rather still own it.

However I'm now thinking about selling the 25 odd poles they are using and the tape to them and asking for the remainder 20 odd poles back and the rest of the tape back as I know they are thinking of extending the fence line and don't really want them using all my stuff.

I'm sort of happy for them to continue to use my energiser and batteries however I did think they would think about purchasing their own in time... But not bothered about charging for them unless they damage then.

Was just wondering how much you would ask for the poles and tape, all used but good condition 25 poles (20 cost 49.99 new and the tape was about 22.99 probably used a reel)

Any thoughts?

Personally unless you really don’t want them I’d be asking for them back, I assume they need to buy energiser and batteries too? If so they may as well buy the whole set up them self.
Obviously if you don’t need it you could sell them the bits you don’t want, as for price I’ve no idea maybe half what you paid or abut more if it’s in new condition.

Reactions: MrA
I'm another that would ask to have it all back. You bought it therefore you want it ready to use when you want. If they want fencing they need to pay for their own set up. I'd keep the extra poles as may come in useful.

I'd just explain that sorry, it's not for sale, it was a temporary loan & link them to wherever you bought yours from :)

Sorry wasn't very clear but I have no need for any of it as where ale is now fencing and batteries are provided. However you never know when things might change so I want to keep the batteries and energiser, some of the poles and tape in case they are needed however I'm happy for them to use the batteries, energiser in the meantime. Wondering if I should ask for some money for allowing them to borrow these long term too? Happy to lend things for no charge short term but I think long term is perhaps different?

If it were me Id either sell them the lot (and then if you need more in the future you’d just need to buy more) or have it all back. I think anything else is too unclear really. I think you are being very generous as well, these things dont last forever and will be getting worn and damaged.

*note* Im a grumpy old cow who doesn’t share ;)

I think they would probably rather buy than give money for using them so it might be easier to either sell, take back batteries or let them use as they currently are if you're happy with that.

I would always want to keep a basic set up too, its too useful for me not to have, you are probably right 20 posts and a couple of hundred meters of fence will get you out of trouble in most situations so you probably could sell the rest to them, I would probably ask 45 quid for 25 posts and a reel of tape and go from there.
Bare in mind that your batteries will continue to deplete, used or not, if in a couple of years you do want them they are likely to need replacing anyway or have less capacity especially if they haven't been used, so you might be as well to sell those too and just keep your energizer, its easy enough to get a car battery to get you out of a pickle if you need it :) ETA I wouldn't loan anything out long term, things have a tendency to get broken/stolen etc. and then you could be in for a falling out as to who pays for it.

I think you needed to be contacting them before a month and not just allowing it to drift along to be honest.
Sell some of it as that's what you are now thinking, not charging to loan. If your yard provides they should have this already.

Personally I would keep them , I find it is handy having spare posts and electric tape to hand if needed. I have a large barrel full of spare posts and reels of tape as I never know when I want to section of a bit or make a bit larger etc

Thank-you for all the replies everyone.

It's a tricky one as yes I want to hold onto them but then 5 years down the line if I've not used them I'll feel like they've been completely wasted. But I know if I sell them I'll need them shortly after. Think I will sell the poles and tape to them that they are currently using, think of some sort of time limit for the battery and energiser and ask for the rest back.

Haven't used my saddle in years but I'm still hanging onto that :oops:

Thank-you for all the replies everyone.

It's a tricky one as yes I want to hold onto them but then 5 years down the line if I've not used them I'll feel like they've been completely wasted. But I know if I sell them I'll need them shortly after. Think I will sell the poles and tape to them that they are currently using, think of some sort of time limit for the battery and energiser and ask for the rest back.

Haven't used my saddle in years but I'm still hanging onto that :oops:
I think you are being far too nice for your own good, I'm all for helping people out and being kind and generous, but there comes a point when it feels like people are starting to take the pee, (trust me I've been the victim of my own good nature many times in the past) this sounds about that time to me, for heavens sake if they need fence posts/tape/energisers and batteries why after this length of time have they not been out and bought their own?

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
@Ale what will happen in the spring if for some reason you find you need to restrict Ale's grazing? Or has your set up got their own tape etc that you can use?

Reactions: Frances144
@Ale what will happen in the spring if for some reason you find you need to restrict Ale's grazing? Or has your set up got their own tape etc that you can use?

This is why I want to take some of the poles and tape back now and not sell the energiser etc, so I've got them just in case

This is why I want to take some of the poles and tape back now and not sell the energiser etc, so I've got them just in case
But what happens if your energiser gets broken or your batteries start to fail while your friends are using them? I know I sound really negative but I can't help thinking that your friends are taking the pee a bit here. It bothers me (I don't know why, just that you come across as such a nice person and I don't want you to fall for the same bull that I used too) that when you need them back they may not be usable or available and then that will cost you money that you shouldn't have to spend. You can tell me to shut the front door if you like :)

But what happens if your energiser gets broken or your batteries start to fail while your friends are using them? I know I sound really negative but I can't help thinking that your friends are taking the pee a bit here. It bothers me (I don't know why, just that you come across as such a nice person and I don't want you to fall for the same bull that I used too) that when you need them back they may not be usable or available and then that will cost you money that you shouldn't have to spend. You can tell me to shut the front door if you like :)

I don't know haha. Think I just expected they would replace as that's what decent people do right? But you are probably right! I'll speak to them and say I want them back by x date but they can buy some of the poles and tape if they want. Thank-you :)

I would always want to keep a basic set up too, its too useful for me not to have, you are probably right 20 posts and a couple of hundred meters of fence will get you out of trouble in most situations so you probably could sell the rest to them, I would probably ask 45 quid for 25 posts and a reel of tape and go from there.
Bare in mind that your batteries will continue to deplete, used or not, if in a couple of years you do want them they are likely to need replacing anyway or have less capacity especially if they haven't been used, so you might be as well to sell those too and just keep your energizer, its easy enough to get a car battery to get you out of a pickle if you need it :) ETA I wouldn't loan anything out long term, things have a tendency to get broken/stolen etc. and then you could be in for a falling out as to who pays for it.

Thanks for the advice re a price, had no idea but was thinking that sort of amount so good to have you say the same!

I don't know haha. Think I just expected they would replace as that's what decent people do right? But you are probably right!
Never assume anything. I actually wouldn't want to be borrowing this length of time off someone.
I gave all my stuff away as it goes except the energizer two years after I moved here. It was partly wrecked and I still sold it. :rolleyes:

newrider.com