WOW, 5 year ban for owners of fat pony

Very interesting videos, certainly been rethinking my horses feed lately, he gets very little because of how easily he puts on weight but I wonder if he is lacking vits and mins as his feet are not very good. So swapping him onto a nutritious chaff and balancer to see if this improves things.

I've certainly never thought of horse welfare organisations having to rescue overweight horses so that was an eye opener also.

I know it's a struggle with some horses, but, over feeding in winter to the point of that poor pony is unforgivable. Portly pony at the end of the summer , so long as they get thin again over the winter you can forgive.

Reactions: Jessey
Ive been working hard on posys fitness and weight she was very flabby when she arrived a few months ago. Overfed and unexercised. She will be able to spend a nice summer out in the big park without me fretting now we are on top of it all and shes fit and good to go!

The people who need to watch the over feeding video are also the feed companies who produce all the crap that goes into the feedstuffs!

The high starch and high sugar cereals we don't want, we don't need.

I found it a bit irritating with the mention, more than once of cost cutting being a reason for over feeding. Fuel going up means you have dropped to a leisure feed, if that's so bad it shouldn't be on the market!

It did sound at one point if the person who bred your horse was to blame for its genetic weight problem, by over feeding the dam.

Reactions: Em 1 and Ruskii
All ours have lived on hay, the occasional small chaffy fibre feed, with a bit of sugarbeet pulp, and I mean occasional. They have all been on nice hay. I am happy even with the old man who is 24 this year. They can all go out into the big hill and stuff their faces this summer.

newrider.com