Yard manners

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Thinking about a thread recently about problems someone was having about tying up etc. I wanted to ask a few things about yard manners. As I will soon be boarding our two on a yard whilst we make ready their new facilities!
So, what in your opinion is good or bad form?
I have kept mine at home for nine years and have forgotten how to share lol any advice welcomed! I am hoping it will only be for a couple weeks - so you'd think things would be okay but.........

I've been on my own place for a while but things like tie areas, hose pipes, mounting blocks and all that I just think are on a first come first served basis with all types of liveries being on equal footing. There obviously the standard arena use rules which is more safety for everyone that a niceity. Other then that show others the respect you expect to be treated with, clean up after yourself and accommodate others where you can (like if you are hosing an injured leg for 20 mins 3 times a day and someone just wants to fill a water bucket quickly its probably best to offer to let them :))

Just a thought - is it fairly common to be able to obtain a private paddock on a yard? The last yard we boarded on offered this and for my two old biddies it's something I'm quite keen for. Mainly as they are not fast enough to get out of the way from younger lasses and their potential high jinx!

I find yards either offer individual/small group turn out or herd turn out in fair equal portions around here, its just a matter of finding the right yard.

Have I missed something? Is a move imminent?? :)

Can't think of any advice on the yard front. I'm on a small livery yard and we liveries all just get along. I think the only thing that does need organising is if you need the school for a specific reason, like a lesson or a vet/physio visit we have to check with the YO that it's ok and then write it on the board so everyone else knows and can work round it. Come to think of it, I love my yard.

My only advice is to be nice to everyone, smile sweetly and ignore the person who tells you that your horse management is all wrong (someone is bound to tell you this whatever you do). Generally I have found that people are very nice on yards, it's everyones leisure time after all and people want to get on. If you sweep up after yourself, poo pick the arena, don't 'borrow' other peoples stuff and smile at everyone you won't go far worng. If your girls can have their own paddock then this sounds perfect.

My only advice is to be nice to everyone, smile sweetly and ignore the person who tells you that your horse management is all wrong (someone is bound to tell you this whatever you do). Generally I have found that people are very nice on yards, it's everyones leisure time after all and people want to get on. If you sweep up after yourself, poo pick the arena, don't 'borrow' other peoples stuff and smile at everyone you won't go far worng. If your girls can have their own paddock then this sounds perfect.

Hahaha yes I am fully prepared for people to tell me I'm doing it all wrong - lol I've no doubt picked up a few horsey eccentriticies over the years, too much time alone! It's only for three weeks max so I'll hopefully manage to let anything go over my head.

Have I missed something? Is a move imminent?? :)

Can't think of any advice on the yard front. I'm on a small livery yard and we liveries all just get along. I think the only thing that does need organising is if you need the school for a specific reason, like a lesson or a vet/physio visit we have to check with the YO that it's ok and then write it on the board so everyone else knows and can work round it. Come to think of it, I love my yard.
This is like my yard, we all get along really well and if we want the school for a lesson or whatever we just write it on the yard calendar. To be honest as we are small and friendly there's never any issues and if something did crop up we are all grown up enough to talk to each other. I love my yard too.

Our school is first come etc, but if I bump into someone who needs to lunge because they are on their lunch hour, I offer up the slot and just take my time grooming.

Some yards have a memo board so check it, or check if it has one. Ask about rules.
Obvious ones, turn the lights off if last to leave.
Some yards provide tools so check that. We share ours.
Use your own broom if you are like me and just break them. :rolleyes:

We just all the use the school together, but it is pretty big. I would hate to be on a yard where people can book it out.
Why MP? Our system works perfectly for us but then I guess it depends on the size of the yard and the normal time folk arrive to ride. I'm very lucky that I mostly get the school to myself anyway as I'm the only early morning rider, but ours while big enough is much easier to listen and concentrate on what my RI is saying when I'm not trying to dodge other horses. :)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Why MP? Our system works perfectly for us but then I guess it depends on the size of the yard and the normal time folk arrive to ride. I'm very lucky that I mostly get the school to myself anyway as I'm the only early morning rider, but ours while big enough is much easier to listen and concentrate on what my RI is saying when I'm not trying to dodge other horses. :)

Because when I ride in the evening at about 7pm/8pm there are often 3 or 4 other people riding as well. It's the only time that I can ride when I work so if I had to wait for an hour for them to finish having a lesson it would mean that I couldn't ride. It's often too dark to hack or ride in the field. Our school is 70m by 50m so we can quite happily (and often do) have about 6 people riding together and we don't bump into each other! Also, because the school is on the top of the hill and it's always windy, the instructors and people having lessons wear headsets so they can hear each other. I believe we can book the school, but have to pay £30 for the privilage and no-one bothers.

Because when I ride in the evening at about 7pm/8pm there are often 3 or 4 other people riding as well. It's the only time that I can ride when I work so if I had to wait for an hour for them to finish having a lesson it would mean that I couldn't ride. It's often too dark to hack or ride in the field. Our school is 70m by 50m so we can quite happily (and often do) have about 6 people riding together and we don't bump into each other! Also, because the school is on the top of the hill and it's always windy, the instructors and people having lessons wear headsets so they can hear each other. I believe we can book the school, but have to pay £30 for the privilage and no-one bothers.
WOW that is a big school, ours is just 20 x 40 yes I can see why it would be a problem then if lots of you all want it at the same time. Like I said we are on a tiny yard and I ride before work, no one else wants to ride at or before the crack of dawn

I think riding in company/sharing is a good training opportunity, but if there were a lesson going on I would try to keep out of the way, perhaps sticking to one end if they were working at the other, or sticking to the inside track if they are going large, but with a huge school like yours @Mary Poppins thats probably less of a problem :)

Can't wait to hear your news for real @Trewsers, I'm excited for you as know its been a long wait :p

newrider.com