yesssss! - much happier foal story (& pics!)

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Some people will have seen my thread a few weeks ago about the birth of our first foal of the year - the mum, Prelude, had bad colic the day before she gave birth, the foal was born very ill and passed away at just 6 hours old.

Well I am delighted to say that we now have foal number 2, and this one has arrived safe and sound :D It's a girl!! Her mum is my boss's mare Heroine, mother to the gorgeous Bonsai from last year who some will be familar with from my diary. Just before 10.30pm on Monday night, boss spotted her on the security camera and we went out right in time to see the birth. The moment it was over Heroine whickered to her new baby and got up to say hello. She's an experienced mum and we all felt a bit surplus to requirements tbh - although my boss's OH is a vet so it was handy to have him on site!

Her stable name is Cassie. As for official names... each year the names of the Selle Francais registered with the National Stud have to begin with a certain letter, and this year is a C year. Her sire is called Ugo Back and boss wants to stick with the theme. Her shortlist is Come Back, Cash Back and Call Back in that order. Other suggestions received!

Anyway the good stuff - pics!

Just born

DSC05282.jpg

DSC05290.jpg

DSC05299.jpg

DSC05302.jpg

Little vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhOrY7WXyTM&feature=g-upl

Tuesday morning

DSC05308.jpg

DSC05315.jpg

DSC05320.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

Today the plan was to turn them out in the paddock for a bit. However it end up being a cold, damp, rainy day and we didn't think Cassie would appreciate being introduced to the Great Outdoors today ;) She had a duvet day instead, she felt a bit cold so one of the dogs donated their coat!

"Yer, w0t u lookin at?"

DSC05348.jpg

DSC05363.jpg

DSC05349.jpg

DSC05353.jpg

DSC05357.jpg

DSC05372.jpg

Check out those EARS!

DSC05376.jpg

DSC05379.jpg

DSC05381.jpg

DSC05384.jpg

Having lunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abFsKrGPkSw&feature=g-upl

Oh CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad it all went like clockwork, Cassie is a beauty :smile:

What a pretty dear thing she is, I seem to of missed the story about the last foal... How sad :(

Oh the legs on that foal! And the ears! Are you sure Dad wasn't a donkey? :wink:

Mum is stunning and must have been in fantastic shape, she already has her figure back!

She's lovely. That must be a quite a big dog to donate that coat though!

Seeing that Cassie was born during the football european championships (as I know only too well from the TV atm!), what about Centre Back?

Thanks for sharing! Gorgeous pics and many congrats! How lovely getting to see them both - I've not ever been lucky enough to see a newborn like that. I envy you your job sometimes!

newrider.com