yet another treeless v.norm saddle query

Brychen

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
I have been riding my pone in a derby house wh saddle for 5 yrs with some succcess doing long distance, showing and dressage ( okay the success was he saddle fit not our results!).

he is now a lot fatter than he has been before and his back is now quite dippy ( it was a bit anyway being a welsh d). I have done three 10 mile rides recently and he hs finished with pressure bumps under the stirrup bars.

I am considering a treeless. however he is WIDE and i have narrow ish hips. I used to have a bob marshall sports saddle ( these predate Torsoin etc) which i imported at great expense £1050 and sold at a great loss as it killed my hips.

So has anyone else had hip problems with treeless saddles on a round horse?

I have had trouble with saddles rotating to one side in the past , but girth with elsatic either side seems to have cured that.(plus lots of lessons for me)
Any sugestions for none treeless saddles? I did have an Isabell wintec that worked well but seemed to restrict his a bit , I think it kept me in too rigid a seat for my horse. I have contemplated the wintec VSD, any users out there?

To be honest i would like to keep the DH saddle but it just doesnt fit any more.

I can heartily reccomend Saddle company saddles both for round horses and dodgy hips, as I have a round (though slimming now!) horse and dodgy hips myself!

The great thing about them is that they can be adjusted time and time again as your horse looses weight/ muscles up/ changes condtiton.

Get in touch with Poohsmate from here- PM him- he's a fitter for them, and is great at 'fixing' bad backs in horses, and bad hips in humans (amongst other things!) I'm sure he'll happily advise you as to what is best- and if the Saddle co saddle range isn't going to suit you or your horse, he'll be honest and tell you so... not that there's many horses or riders that they don't suit!:D

Because I have a very round no withered horse that has decided all Treed saddles are evil, I am buying Treeless saddles. Like you, I also need a twist with my saddles and have some back and other issues to deal with. Treeless saddles are much more comfortable for me.

I found the Star Trekk to be very stable, it also has a true gullet. It has more to it than other Treeless saddles, which I personally like. Nice comfy well made saddle. Not hip pain at all with this saddle.
Another one with a Good twist is the Freeform Treeless. Am going to Demo that one. The saddle is to arrive today.... I hope at least.

Here is a neat web site with lots of Treeless saddles.
http://www.freewebs.com/alternativehorse/

Treeless saddles that caused hip pain... BMSS, Barefoot Cheynne and Sensation.

Last edited:
hi, are you the Tamara with a welsh cob that used to post on EE in the "old days", thought I recognised the horses name then saw your signature. If so Hi, used to lurk there lots! congratulations on your baby too!
I tried a torsion and a fhoenix and found both of them really uncomfortable, found the torsion even wider than my Free n easy on my "welsh cob" type arab.
Bought a secondhand fitform (or free form-the earlier version anyway) from ebay and its great, doesnt stretch my hips at all. Have used it on my wide arab, my slighlty narrower appaloosa and my sons 13h welsh cross (fairly fine), fits all, they all love it (as far as I can tell) and I like it too.
Often have them on ebay second hand-am considering buying another as a "spare" as not made anymore!

hello

Yes I confess it is me with Brychen. is EE still going? What is your 'proper ' name (pm me if you wish)?

Thanks re baby - he is wonderful - if a slight draw back to doing anything that lasts more than an hour with horsey! How doyou cope with your older child and many more horseys?

I had a free and easy which I liked a lot, it concerns me if the torsion is wider as that would kill my hips - child baring seems to have narrowed them!!

newrider.com