Your height versus pony height

teapot

Nov 8, 2005
West Sussex
Just to sum up my problem/question/experience etc - I have been offered the chance to ride/school and possibly compete a 13.2/13.3 hh welsh c. He certainly isn't fine but isn't the chunkiest welsh I've seen either.

I rode him last week and didn't feel overly big on him, have actually felt bigger on larger horses but I am slightly worried about my legs. I know for a fact weight isn't a problem as I'm one of these bean pole type tall people.

I rode him quite long whilst trying him out, in fact almost my normal flatwork length which is rather long when you're used to schooling a 17hh so I know full well that I can ride a couple of holes shorter than normal.

What I'm really asking is a.) what do you think about a 5ft10 person a 13.3 welsh c (shall put a pic up of said pony so you can get a rough idea of his size)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/stickyVix/random/Baronbabyshowjumping005.jpg - The girl riding him is about an inch/inch & half shorter than me
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/stickyVix/Horsie%20like/100_0569.jpg - This is me sitting on my mate's 12.2 pony, obviously riding rather short

b.) How much does it truly matter about height as long as he carries my weight which he does/did

c.) would it majorly affect me if I were to eventually show him in say novice working hunter and maybe the chance of the odd dressage test?

Thankyou in advance

nothing wrong with that :)

BUT .... make your stirrups longer. i dont know why people always think they need mega-short stirrups on little ponies :confused: just make them as youd normally ride, makes things a lot easier

Julia

(i'm 5'5, pony is 12.3)

xx

Just to expand on what Nootpoodle said: yes, make your stippurs longer. If you ride a little pony, you want your stirrups as long as is comfortable, possibly even longer than when you are riding a big horse. The reason is that it makes it easier for the horse (and you) to balance. If you have longer stirrups, your centre of gravity sits lower. That makes it easier to balance. If your stirrups are short, your centre of gravity is higher, which van make it feel like you're 'perched' on top, and unbalanced.

Look at full grown men riding Icelandic horses. Their feet almost touch the ground!

I am 5'6'' and often ride 12.2 ponies without any problems.

yes, get the stirrups down to a more normal level, definitely. the main problem with tall people who are not too heavy is the balance (from the hor'ses point of view - a tall person can unbalance them), and riding very short does make it worse. you can give aids with your calves quite happily, you don't need all your leg on the side.
the only time it might be a problem is jumping, if you take poles down with your feet if they are too far under the belly!

obviously it's not the most elegant picture in the world, but that is not of any great importance.

Just to clarify - I'm not going to ride overly short and I never do anyway - that pic of me riding was to illustrate me on a pony - I didn't put my stirrups that short on purpose - was using my mate's length

Definately understand the point about too short stirrups and lack of balance.

As long as you're not too heavy (which you're obviously not), you should be fine on a 13.2 welsh pony. I am 5'6'' and used to share a 12.2 Welsh B (see picture).

Not the best riding position (the saddle is actually too small for me), but you can see I ride with fairly long stirrups and it looks fine.

I went to a show last summer, and there were a lot of adults riding little ponies in the showing class. About half of the riders were kids, the other half were adults who had just put their stirrups up way too high. I don't agree with short stirrups on little ponies, but it looked like that was the thing to do.

IMG_0574.jpg

Slightly O/T but can I just say that I would LOVE to still be able to ride ponies.... sadly my weight is against me so it's not likely to happen in the immediate future (enjoy my doughnuts too much :rolleyes: ), but they have such brilliant personalities and it would be great fun.... :D

I think you look fine onyour pony, teapot. Lengthen the stirrupsthough. I think some small-pony riders shorte stirrups cos they feel self conscious about wrapping their legs completely round the barrel, but I'm tall and I enjoy riding small ponies too, can be fun. You look just fine, teapot, it's ok.

I am about 5ft 8 and ride an 11.2hh. Sure, i look massive on him, but he is a Welsh A so has no trouble carrying me. I find it very uncomfortable with short stirrups as well. Dont worry, these ponies are strong, as long as they can carry you its only how you look which can bother you xx

That is right about the Icelandic horses. Believe me, these horses have no problems with how tall someone is. Don't think most ponies do, as they would get used to it like anything else.;)

In all honesty,,, I am so used to seeing tall people on short horses. I think tall or short people on tall horses look silly.:D Guess I am just strange that way.

Here is me on my 12.3 Icelandic mare.
dyframe2may06.jpg

dyfremabettermay06.jpg

As far as the riding is concerned, it's the weight that matters so that shouldn't be any problem.

Competing, it might work against you, depending on the judge. Your legs are long, and they'll still look long on the 13.3 pony, and if you shorten the stirrups you just look "folded up". Some judges will feel this "spoils the look" and whereas they probably won't say it on the notes, this can be a reason to give a lower mark.

I am 5 ft 9, and a couple of years ago was competing in dressage with a 15hh mare and a 16.2 gelding. With her, however well she went, I could rarely get marks over 6. With him, we could do a pretty mediocre test and still get 6.8 or 7. He was a German warmblood and much more what they expected to see - we sort of "looked right" even if the test was a disaster!:D On one occasion Sunny (the mare) and I did probably the best test we've ever done - really soft and relaxed, lots of impulsion, accurate (I was amazed :D ) - and the judge told a friend of mine who was writing for her that "she couldn't give me more than 5.8 even though the test was good, because I just looked too big on the horse." To our credit, there was a gasp and boo from the crowd when the marks were announced - but that's dressage for you. So much for it being about how the horse is going and the communication between horse and rider!!!:rolleyes:

Not all judges are like that - but if you do find you're getting lower marks than you think you should with this pony - that could be a reason. However, if you are just competing for fun and not too concerned about winning - go for it! :)

kate
www.harmony-project.net

I love you all!!!!

I am trying to justify going to see a 12.2hh dartmoor X pony I saw on scotequest and you're all helping, after all you've got nthing to lose in just going to see. (it does say capable of carrying a small adult in the ad)
If not then Ill go and see the 13hh NF, he should definetly be well up to carrying me.

BTW Im 5ft7 with long legs for my height
I personally much prefer riding welsh As to Bs, as As seem to have more barrel and are less leggy so I don't get the impression that their legs are going to snap in half!

I'm 5"3 and ride a selection of ponies between 10hh and 13hh. I have been marked down on occasion in showing classes and dressage tests for being 'too big' but I tend to mainly enter jumping and gymkhana classes anyway, and if you jump the best round/ride the best race, they can't stop you from doing well!!

newrider.com