Your thoughts training younsters

hi!

In absoloutely no way do i want to start an argument!!! but i have to ditto a lot of what casey has said. A lot of you will have read my posts on my 2 1/2 yr old IDxCB Bullet and what a pig he was when i got him. He was getting extremely dangerous and i was even considering sending him back but i perservered with him and he is now backed and chilling out in the field with my mare (who is teaching him some very good lessons!! ;) ) he wont be ridden till next spring and hopefully is going to be a fantastic horse! He still has his moody (I'm in teenager mode!) days so we just leave him alone and do as little as possible as i dont see the point in starting an argument with him.

I dont agree with backing every horse at 2 it depends on their forwardness, temperament and size does come into it!. For example my mare is 3yrs old, 15hh and of much lighter build but is so backward she will probably be 4 when i start her. I know its not all about size but if you have a big built bolshy horse who is very forward get it sat on and used to everything and when the time comes it makes everyones life easier!

Just to add, I started Bullet by Richard maxwells's method and from that first join up the trust that was built was fantastic. He still has to learn spacial awareness (I think he forgets just how big he is!) but it will come. I couldn't imagine leaving him until he was 3/4 as i think i would die! the best thing about the join up process as if your horse is naughty you can send them away without using physical violence.

Someone said about been tougher on big horses, but I dont agree. It does come down to individuals. Some do know they are so much bigger than you and they will take the mick but i used to have a shetland that was a million times more difficult to handle compared to my young cob at the time! I think you need to enforce handling a little sooner and of course manners. All youngsters should be taught to move away from your hand. I always make bullet wait to be 'led' out of the stable, he used to squish me so i opened the door and made him stand there and then ask him to walk on. he is going to be a big, powerful animal when he matures and horses like that need to have good manners, its not a case of bullying. Now i have a horse who waits for doors, gates etc to be fully opened and to be asked to walk on, he picks his feet up on command, moves over when asked and comes to be caught (without treats!!). He's still a baby who is living it up in the field but he has consisitent handling every day which i think without he would be really difficult to handle.

I hope this has helped!

cat xxx

Last edited:

Personally I think it's like this...

There are many different factors which affect the way a horse turns out. In general there is the type of handling you give them (good or bad), there is the experiences they have had in their lives (good or bad) and there is the individual temperament of the horse.

I have broken in many un-handled horses from youngsters to 13 year olds and they all have turned out well with good handling and work. Some are always easier than others because they have a good, quiet, friendly temperament as opposed to a flighty, or pushy temperament but in the end they are not problem horses.

On the other hand I have also retrained alot of poorly handled horses and they usually are a lot of work and require an educated handler to keep them working well or they will lapse back.

I think in general a horse that is handled well from birth will be better than one handled well from an older age. Just as a horse mishandled for 20 years will be more difficult than one mishandled for a year. However it is much much easier to train say an 8 year old horse from scratch (un-handled) than say an 8 year old horse that has had years of mishandling... or at least the end result of your training will be more satisfactory anyway.

newrider.com