Ziggy has nine lives

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
...well, a few less than that after colic, laminitis and today's escapade!

I brought the boys over to the house to have their feet trimmed. They love to mow the meadow which is our very small front lawn.

Everything was going fine and Trevor had finished Ziggy and was working on Mattie when we heard a terrible crash from the bottom of the lawn (about 20 feet away). We all jumped and stared at Ziggy heaving himself out of trouble. He had stood upon, and broken in half, the manhole cover to the cesspit. And the offending leg had fallen in.

Fortunately (?!), the cess pit is full and due to be emptied, so his leg went in to water. Well, water-ish :p. He leapt away in a great palaver (and a great stink) and ran to me to be soothed. Trevor and I checked him over but despite the jagged edges of the old metal manhole cover he was undamaged. Trevor went back to trimming Mattie. I washed Ziggy - yuk!

He was a bit slow going back to the field, and I think he might have pulled a muscle in his bum heaving himself out of the sh*t, but all in all things could have been much worse.

Of course we now have to get our cesspit repaired before the dogs fall in it....

Oh flip, that could have ended so badly..I'm sure your heart was in your mouth when you saw he had smashed through the manhole cover!!! Glad he was ok and no cuts etc

Bloody hell ziggy, egg on his face for that one (and shit on his leg haha). So glad he escaped relatively unscathed and bless him running to you for sympathy, my lad would have been exactly the same.

Reactions: HaloHoney
Those lovely old drain covers do crack. And our modern replacement is not so handsome. I am glad he is ok.

Oh crap, bet that scared everyone, glad he was ok and got himself out. I am slightly paranoid about cesspits, I would never let Jess graze the area at the old yard and at my old house where the cover was for fear of similar happening.

Well @Jessey you were right as it proves!

Just been over to the field - I went last night as well - and he's right as rain. Phew. I am going away today for a week and wouldn't have liked to leave my OH with a wound to deal with!

Reactions: Jessey
Hi I'm a 3rd year BSc student at the Royal Veterinary College completing research in to 'Owners perceptions of laminitis: the role of diet in cause and management'. This will hopefully bridge the gap between what owners believe and what the current research says. This will help better direct future research and improve educational resources for owners to help our beloved horses and ponies. It would be greatly appreciated if you could take 10 minutes to complete this questionnaire.

Many thanks in advance!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...9rvcc2bjfLyoUgzJX4hMNggw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Hi I'm a 3rd year BSc student at the Royal Veterinary College completing research in to 'Owners perceptions of laminitis: the role of diet in cause and management'. This will hopefully bridge the gap between what owners believe and what the current research says. This will help better direct future research and improve educational resources for owners to help our beloved horses and ponies. It would be greatly appreciated if you could take 10 minutes to complete this questionnaire.

Many thanks in advance!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...9rvcc2bjfLyoUgzJX4hMNggw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thank you for your input to the forum but you have added you reply and link to someone’s thread about their horse know where does is refer to laminitis.

Please add your own post in the correct section of the forum.

Wow that must have been scary but a nice escape this time he us a silly pony

newrider.com