2018 Hacking/Riding challenge........ Add your photos and join in open to anyone.

Sonny unmounted 8.00hr

It was very cold and dreary yesterday snow showers in the am that finally did stop but sun never came out.
On a good note it was really cold but not horribly windy.

I played in a couple of stages since the ground is rock hard
I first did some traveling circles on the way over here then played In the cavaletti pen. Got lovely transitions and I'm constantly trying to step it up a bit to less strides between transitions.
Yesterday I played with 2 strides and he was super.

Then I put him in the back paddock for a while then when I went back utilized another rock out there for play
IMG_5997.JPG
Then went back to the rd pen.

It was lots of fun play.

Woo hoo today we may get close to 30f so play should not be so so cold yea!!
4-7 inches snow due late tonite thru tomorrow but then
YEA YEA YEA next 10 days seem to be going a little above freezing every day. I can take that.
If we get several inches of snow but then it does not keep adding upon itself without any melt - we go to bit better temps
I can handle winter for sure!!
BUT I STILL WANT SPRING!!!

Its good right now with clear ground so that he can keep getting a little grass to stay acclimated to
having some for longer times.

I've always worried about too much grass at one time so I'm really careful to watch time especially if we get snow that blocks any grass for a period and he has no grass in his in and out at Virginia's.

Pete's Mum
Lol

In the rain that's almost as bad as in the snow :rolleyes:.
Sometimes even worse it soakes in and makes you wet faster :mad::(.

Sonny unmounted 8.75 hr.

Only 1 play session very low key
At walk before he got some grass.

For some reason even though It was bit warmer it must have been way more damp or something cause the cold went right
Thru me:(:(:mad:

Snow due tonite thru mid day tomorrow.
If it stops before dark maybe he can nkow it out in the big round pen TOMORROW ;)

Hopefully it will only be a few inches.

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny unmounted 9.25 hr.

Very low key walk play yesterday.
We got 4 inches the day before but it turned a little to sleet rain
warmed up a teeny tiny bit and kind of sank to a bit over 2 inches.
Then a little burst of snow over nite

The footing In the big round pen was not good for faster than a walk.
The snow was still on the trees from that last burst and it was lovely sun so it really did look pretty and not being a lot made it lovely to be able to appreciate its beauty.:);):D
Its very shady in the big rd pens so it was cold up there but ill appreciate the shade in the summer.

Then I put him in the groom room and the electro vac nozzle is much better and having the vac behind him to come up each side worked out much better too.;)

Then he went to the back paddock for a while.
The snow was not so deep that he could not get some grass nibbles if he pawed a little:rolleyes:
IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6127.JPG

IMG_6125.JPG

Sonny says this was the best part.

IMG_6140.JPG

Even all the goats enjoyed the sunshine.

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG
Today should be another nice day;):):D.
AND ONE DAY CLOSER TO *************SPRING*************

Sonny unmounted 10.00 hours

Very low key walk

It's really windy sadly it's warmed up a
Lot but as you walk around and compress the melting snow it gets really really slippery and your feet slip out from under you.
Not worth chancing a fall by either of us.

With any luck it will be better for play
Tomorrow.

Grass is showing thru so he is enjoying the
Back paddock.

Well, we've had quite an exciting week as we moved yards today. A 3 mile hack in the sleet & snow was not quite what I had planned!

I've updated our total's for the end of the week:

2018's running total:

•Hacking: 25 miles

• Schooling: 7 hours, 30 minutes

• Groundwork: 2 hours 30 minutes

Been a busy week for me. 4 days of riding after work and a (soggy) jump clinic on saturday.

I was supposed to be hacking today, but the weather started off with snow, then turned into rain which has stayed all day and I really didnt want two days of getting drenched!.

Total:
Time in saddle not hacking: 7hrs 00 mins.
Hacking : 12 miles, 3 hrs 10 mins

27021830_10155030487245894_8089007477389505713_o.jpg

26850266_10155030487250894_4369138123078360864_o.jpg

And the 1st time we have ever jumped a water tray. Didnt even think about it!

19238157_10155030487240894_7751915795959947100_o.jpg

Been a busy week for me. 4 days of riding after work and a (soggy) jump clinic on saturday.

I was supposed to be hacking today, but the weather started off with snow, then turned into rain which has stayed all day and I really didnt want two days of getting drenched!.

What a lovey jump set up!!!
You look great.
I love the dice!!!

Reactions: Tir
Sonny unmounted 12.00 hours

The weather semi cooperated yesterday.
It was still really icy yesterday so I tried to wait for a little warming.
The sun was totally awesome and no wind so 42f felt
WONDERFUL.
I played in several rounds on grassy areas out front then in the cavaletti pen. Then let him go in the back paddock for some nibbles and later we went into the Cav pen again and that had softened a lot by the second go round so he got a bit silly in there.
The wood chip border was a lot more cushony by later on so we did a lot of trot.

Today early on we are getting spotty rain and possibly a few hour break before the heavy rain and wind sets in which will continue thru tomorrow.
If its a decent break play may be possible.
At least this storm and the next one in a few days IS NOT SNOW.
IMG_6379.JPG

Sunday the weather was not cooperating at all! Snowed all morning and then turned to rain from about midday. It wasn't too heavy when I got to the yard so I ventured out with another livery and we had a pretty quick hack. Didn't go far, the ground is also sodden and because it was so cold and wet we didn't fancy going much further!

Total 3km in 40mins

Totals 9.85km in 2hrs20mins plus 30 minutes schooling

Fingers crossed for everyone that the weather brightens up a bit soon!

Sonny unmounted 13.50 hours

OMG some HALOS fell yesterday. Got quite scary.:eek::eek::eek:

It was very very windy and cold gusts were horrid.
I put rhythm beads on sonny and we headed to play.
The footing in my little ring area was not bad but he had a bit of a silly streak going.
It is nice to hear the tinkle of the bells when he was behaving lol.
Then well figured id see if he could just do some walking in the big rd pen. It turns out he had made divits
that I had not realized til I took a walk about early in the am. IM thinking if he just walks maybe he can
smooth them out a bit. BIG MISTAKE BIG BIG MISTAKE:(:(:(:(
I took the beads off in case he decieded to roll and the brat did not go 2 feet at walk before coming a real brat
and the ground was only thawed acouple inches so he was galloping slipping skidding jumping bucking.
and seemed to NOT CARE or be concerned. I was worried enough for the both of us.
Finally he settled down so I left him up there for a while to get some nibbles.
IT GETS WORSE MUCH WORSE

Hes had some nibbles so the footing in the cavaletti pen is better with the wood chips and its in the sun whereas the
big round pens are shaded so the footing gets better quicker.
So I'm thinking some low key walking in the cav pen as hes already blown it out in the big rd pen.

STUPID ME ...........
It connects to the full size goats area as part of theirs and I close the gate to use it as a round pen BUT OMG
I put Sonnny in and took the halter off and was then going to go close the gate to the goats.
HE goes scooting thru that gate in with the goats and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE
ALL THEIR HALOS FELL OFF!!!
He and Danni and Kinley are galloping around like crazy animals its beyond silly.
I'm thinking well the goats will go run into the round pen or their night area and I can shut it .
NO way was that going to happen they were not running from him they were all involved in this free for all gallop.
I was petrified someone was going to get hurt. They are full size goats 175 pounds but sonny is almost 1300 pounds.
It seemed to go on forever Sonny totally refused to respond to me asking for a halt. It was like I was not there.
The goats ignored me too.
FINALLY he stopped for a second and Danni got up front feet on one of his tires--Kinley is still being stupiid BUT maybe I can grab someone. NOT A )*&%$$*^ CHANCE.:(:(:mad::mad:
I had to totally just let it work it self out holding my breath and praying no one gets hurt.
Finally I got the goats to the rd pen and Sonny continued and the stupid goats are standing with feet on the gate
looking-- mom we want to go back and play more NOT A CHACE.
THEN EVENTULLY SONNY STOPS AND LOOKS AT ME ******I'M DONE**********
He carried on sooooooooo long and so hard he got sweaty.

So then I put him in the cav pen and we did do a nice low key walk freelonging in there til he cooled.

It was very very scary though maybe they were all having fun BUT I HAD MY HEART IN MY THROAT THRU IT ALL.

Lesson learned shut the gate to the goats FIRST!!
I was a bit surprised the goats carried on like they with him. Thank god the 3 small ones are separate.
Now the footing in the big rd pen is the pitts:(:(
He chopped up the goats area pretty well too.

Ugh now the big rd pen is a mess..IMG_6579.JPG
He looked so sweet and innocent at the start Mr mudball with his rhythm beads on...
IMG_6473.JPG

IMG_6475.JPG
Traveling circles in the road were good
IMG_6479.JPG
The footing in the little ring was good so was he at first

IMG_6517.JPG

It went to hell quick in the big rd pen.
IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG .
.IMG_6561.JPG

But nothing like what happened in with the goats.
Glad they were all having fun I FOR SURE WAS NOT....
IMG_6586.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6637.JPG

I though I was gonna be able to grab someone
IMG_6593.JPG
I'm not done playing YES YOU ARE.
IMG_6661.JPG

FINALLY "IM DONE" your in big time trouble mister!!!
IMG_6698.JPG

Today will be windy still and colder. It needs to be a low key day FOR ME.
I could not take another nail biting day like that.

Sonny unmounted 14.50 hours
Very low key play yesterday.
It was still cold and windy but at lest bright sun.

Had 2 REALLY good walk trot sessions in the Cav rd pen.

I think the brats liked their free for all the day before :p:p:p.

As soon as I put sonny in the pen (with the gate to the goats CLOSED)
WHAT BRATS he walked to the gate they walked to the gate and everyone looked at ME.

Well are you going to open it MOM???????????

Hopefully today will be less windy which will make the sun feel MUCH better.

Saddle problem identified Monday, but my lovely fitter is coming out to adjust the flocking tomorrow so hopefully all will be good then. Its just settling after I had a complete reflock, so a switch to my jump saddle on Monday, bareback tuesday, Wednesday everything went wrong. I spent 3 hours in my car to do 17 miles, got to the yard (late!) and one of the YO's horses had escaped. Hay had been left outside the field not in it so many wheelbarrows later...it then started raining! Sacked off riding. :) However, day off today and had a lovely hack with on of my sharers in the sunshine!

Total:
Time in saddle not hacking: 8hrs 30 mins.
Hacking : 17 miles, 4 hrs 10 mins

Got my brave pants on yesterday and had a small pootle on the Zi. Only twenty minutes but good because today is gale force so definitely no riding! And tomorrow isn't looking too hot either. He was such a good lad for me, despite me having cast iron clamp-on legs!

Sonny unmounted 15.75 hours.

Low key play walk trot out on the front side yard playground.
Did some walk trot and tire play. Standing in and sending thru
from a distance.
Since we are far from being past frozen ground weather
I tried to be really careful to not dig or divet it up.

It raining now but will stop later.

IMG_6795.JPG

IMG_6807.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

Then a bit of a nibble at the side of the of the house
IMG_6817.JPG

Had two nice rides today. Decided to book a lesson at a local riding school, hadn't been there before so it was just an assessment lesson but I enjoyed it. I've decided to try and have a few lessons while the weather is still bad as I think I'm in danger of losing some of my confidence. I prefer lessons on my share but it's a bit tricky trying to book a lesson on my share day. Just did some basic walk, trot and canter work during the lesson.

Then I went straight to my share and we went out on a nice solo hack. It was much warmer today than it's been recently which was lovely. Although all we could do for the most part was walk, I found myself sitting there in walk with a smile on my face, just happy to be out enjoying the scenery and the good weather with a fab companion :)

The only surprise today was coming across a little labrador pub who jumped out of his skin and ran a mile at the sight of a horse lol. :D

Today's total was 5.02km in 1hr5mins plus 30mins schooling.

Totals 14.87km in 3hrs25mins plus 60 minutes schooling

Sonny unmounted 16.25 hours.
Just a little walkabout yesterday.
The ground was very very soft and I did not want to mess it up being we are getting
quite cold again.
I did let him in the big rd pen after for nibbles but he was just moseying around getting nibbles so
not making it any worse.

Will have to see what today brings and how footing is today if things have firmed up a bit.

Snowy mix due sometime today with ugh 1-3 inches over nite.
I'm really hoping to be on the 1 end.

Reactions: GaryB
newrider.com