28 Days

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I have decided to purchase a book called "28 days to Happiness With Your Horse" I think its aimed at people who lack confidence for whatever reason around horses, but it also talks about developing a feel and connection with your horse. It mentions bonding, trust and leadership exercises and I feel I could benefit from this with her.

I do feel that the cob out hacking is an island, she deals with things without looking to another horse if we have company-not a bad thing but she isnt exactly looking to me either.

Apparently it takes 28 to 30 days to develop a new habit for us.

Not plugging the book or website I don't know this person I just came across it. If anyone wants to know more she has a book you can buy, free website with free newsletter with free mp3 download. :)

This is Day 2 for me :)

Sounds interesting. Might be great for me and Cally. I'll have a look.

She is an Equestrian Confidence and Nlp Performance Coach.

It's interesting so far and is about keeping a diary and journal that I do briefly anyway.

Could sit nicely with anyone's Hacking for Smiles log :)

Thanks, this is just the sort of reading I need. I am forever preparing for the future!lol and that includes expecting a change in behaviour when we move house - plus tantalising prospect of another horse for OH;)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Just read the bit about the wheelie bins in her blog - that is so me! I am always looking for stuff I think she'll spook at:(
Mine does have a wheelie bin issue, initially to help her out I just re routed on bin day. Now I just go out whatever day and gradually she has got exposed to them.

If anyone signs up for the newsletter and free mp3 let me know how you get on.
I am on Day 3 now and I am to write down ten positive good things about today.
@Trewsers I think we all look for stuff, I am doing just that with the new addition to the yard. Its "bound to upset her" She hasn't even registered it!

Reactions: Trewsers
:)I'll join in. Need to order the book and I'll do it with Zak and Cally and include the girls as much as possible.

Reactions: newforest
I ordered it yesterday - Day 1 for me. I had trouble visualising all my dreams and how it felt as as a child rider.....I had more ponies to ride than you could shake a stick at so never spent days daydreaming about eventually having my own horse really, so that was a non starter. However, I did manage to recall that long ago feeling of feeling like I could and would ride anything and the more forward the horse went the better....it sort of worked, for some unknown reason any cows she spotted miles away in the distance she was convinced were the call of her people and strode out at a rather daunting fast pace, managed to sit back and just let her go for it.....we covered three miles very quickly without leaving walk and without me curling over the saddle in the fetal position waiting for her to take off. I was 12 years old again and thrilled to be out on such a magnificent horse!:p

I also used the very windy day that was throwing the dancing cow parsley across the boreen to help desensitise her to mountains of white froth trying to leap out and grab her, rather than looking for another route that is less 'alive' on very windy summer days.

struggled a bit with the 10 good points - seven was easy...anymore and I was scraping the barrel a bit.

Good fun though!:D

I listened to the free mp3 download this morning. But I struggled a bit as OH was in the next room making coughing / throat clearing noises (sinus troubles!lol) and I felt a bit distracted. Plus I was sat in a garden recliner (don't ask) so didn't feel 100 per cent comfortable. But I thought it was interesting and knowing the mind to be such a powerful tool, I've no doubt it can help.

The only thing that worries me about the whole nlp thing is: what if you become super confident and lack actual technique?? Maybe the fear and lack of confidence keeps not-so-good riders like me safe? Just a thought.

The only thing that worries me about the whole nlp thing is: what if you become super confident and lack actual technique?? Maybe the fear and lack of confidence keeps not-so-good riders like me safe? Just a thought.

That worried me a little Trewsers too - I imagined throwing caution to the wind and going hell for leather all over the place and coming a cropper because I am a crap old rider!:eek: But actually - for just a smidgen of a moment now and then, I did remember I can actually ride, and was once a good rider, and although physical limitations have stolen some of my style (not that I actually ever had very much TBH! - but I could ride) and it did occur to me that my lack of confidence is actually making me a useless rider. So that has to change, and change it will!;)

Being apprehensive keeps you safe. Riders about to do Badminton are nervous, its normal and yes keeps you in touch with planet earth.
Fear on the other hand can be debilitating and stop you enjoying the slightest thing with your horse.
Its highly unlikely that reading this book is suddenly going to see me writing I bought that 2* eventer to have some fun on. My common sense tells me I don't have the skills required to manage one. I don't need confidence I need knowledge to deal with that kind of mount.

struggled a bit with the 10 good points - seven was easy...anymore and I was scraping the barrel a bit.

Good fun though!:D

I did ask the author if you could use the same 10 good points but I am finding that easy.
Ten good points doesn't come up until Day 3 ;)

Reactions: Cortrasna
I thought it was 10 good points right from Day 1???? Ah well I shall go back and reread, I did read it at 3.30 in the morning!:rolleyes:

Ha ha.
Day 5 is pretty similar for day 4. Day four is spend undemanding time. No looking at your phone or watch. It actually didn't work for us she wasn't "interested"
I do this anyway but it's spontaneous and in the moment. Today I actually feel like I I would have liked to yesterday.
It's her day off so mentally I don't have anything going through my head. It's the day we usually chill out and do what it suggests on day 4 and day 5. ;)

newrider.com