28 Days

Well Day 6 she already knows. I don't do teaching tricks but its something she needed to knows IMO as I do drop the ropes. I don't use treats (she is watching her waistline :D)
Will be interested in how others feel about it when they get there.

Hmmmm. I saw that and I don't do treats either, not sure I can go along with this bit of it when I get there. TBH I am not sure this is for me now. :( I have absolutely nowhere to do the in hand stuff with (apart from walking out that is)......boggy fields with undulating dips and turns, I guess I could use the narrow boreen up to the house and yard as some sort of straight line to work along with her. sigh......I just want to ride I think. :oops:

I am still riding, this is just as well as. Not looked ahead at any other days so don't know what's coming. But for those too nervous to get on Inhand things to do would be taking that pressure off.

She remembered if I tap you lift, but she knows that anyway. So today was no big thing for us. Rewarding the right leg was where I had to be accurate. Any leg would do otherwise.

Oh I am still riding - just wonder do I only want to ride and not bother with all this.....that is so typical me. Probably complicated by the fact that I am also trying to concentrate on that new get yourself more fit t be a better rider book.....'My Horse Riding Makeover' and it would seem I am too old and too jaded and too challenged healthwise for most of the getting fit stuff in there too!:rolleyes:

Can you tell I am having a pity me day????:p

Reactions: chev
Well if you want a virtual kick up the bum :D
I can say if you see it through and it makes no difference you tried, if you quit now and it makes no difference you didn't :)

The inhand stuff goes where you plan to do your stressage test. ;) Seriously though inhand stuff isn't seen as doing anything very much. Where would you trot up for the vet, that'll do.
But I also think the book will stir up some emotions of I cant, because if you lack confidence the brain will pop that up straight off. It also works as the can't shouts louder than the can.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Day Seven.

Well I don't think she was in the mood for inhand stuff. I did get a decent kick but in fairness to her I was asking her to do something again. She had just done what I asked.
I was running through my entry for Interdressage, she said "like just submit it already!" 

@Cortrasna knows what I was doing yesterday and you could say that back fired didn't it!

Cortrasna - If you are able to ride and do ride, that is the best possible tonic and health benefit even if you just potter about.

As for Ground Work - RS riders dont do any, not with capital letters, unless they pay for a lesson! None the less, we do it all the time and so do you - fetching a horse, tacking, untacking and grooming which I imagine you do, is all ground work. If Dolly has a stable, going in and out of the stable and how she behave when you enter is ground work too. Often called, Good manners.

I am struggling with weight at the moment -I've only gained a pound or two but I know riding is harder for the horses and falling is harder for me, if I am heavier. So it is a bit of an incentive. At least you have a horse - Our RS ius now closed 2 days a week and I havent been able to fit in rides between other things in the diary. It has been down to once a week.

Enjoy your summer and forget the rest.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to have a look (also interested in the health one!)

I just started doing bonding excersises with Peds yesterday. Something I found online. He's got a sore back at the mo so not riding and wanted something else to do with him. First thing is just sitting in their field with them. Aim is for them to come over and graze beside you for as long as they want. No pressure, just them wanting to be with you. Took 20 mins for him to come over but he stood grazing beside me for 10 mins (longest he spent in any one spot over the half hour) and it ended as I got cold and had to go home!

Day 8 fitted in very well as that actually coincided with what I had planned anyway.
Go for a walk. You don't have to do five miles though. But if I don't do at least four is not worth taking sandwiches.:D
Found a very small section of road she hasn't been down.

@Jayne @KP nut @Cortrasna
How are you guys getting on?

I have stopped dead I am afraid NF - muchly ashamed and all that but getting all this huge pile of stuff sorted, cleaned and ready for sale on my new show stall and car boot and replying to offers on Face ache has finished me off for now.:( I will however, be up and running again within a few days when I have everything sorted on the charity side of things.

My fingers are dead from tack cleaning, about 7 bridles today, lots of odds and sods and a couple of martingales......and the pile has barely diminished. Never fear, the old biddy will be back showing you all how it is done, just now the rescues need my help more I guess. :p

Reactions: chev and newforest
Haven't got the book yet. I'm doing the Practical Horsemanship Test with Cally on interdressage this month so focusing on that at the moment. But I do want to do this as it sounds intriguing!

Reactions: newforest
Day ten, strangely fits in with what I have been thinking about.
I will do a with and a without session and see if she picks up the changes in energy.
She is sensitive so I am looking forward to trying this out.

@Cortasna no worries, the first ten days are the hardest as they are all on the ground.
Tomorrow we start ridden.

The main changes I have seen in her is she has come over when I enter the field, unusual in a field full of lovely summer grazing.
She has been a bit vocal and nickered back when I said she was a good girl. "Yes I know I am" :D Someone else heard that and said it was sweet.

Being apprehensive keeps you safe. Riders about to do Badminton are nervous, its normal and yes keeps you in touch with planet earth.
Fear on the other hand can be debilitating and stop you enjoying the slightest thing with your horse.
Its highly unlikely that reading this book is suddenly going to see me writing I bought that 2* eventer to have some fun on. My common sense tells me I don't have the skills required to manage one. I don't need confidence I need knowledge to deal with that kind of mount.

Ha ha! I really want to be the sort of person that buys a 2* eventer to have some fun on!

IRL I wouldn't know what to do with it and couldn't afford it anyway!

Day 11 was interesting. Only in as much it gets onto the ridden and I go and fall off!
It didn't say anything about that. I wasn't doing anything gung ho, it's just called gravity.
It's been about a year since she spun me off and if you ride a spooky spinner it's going to happen.
Redoing day 10 as life got in the way. ;)

Life got in the way for me yesterday as well so I'm now a day behind. Day 4 today, a lovely long grooming session (I followed it with some inhand work, just walking and stopping, and turning and then did some trotting at the end. He was following me about like a puppy dog :) had his full tack on and I was leading but holding the buckle.with no feel on the reins.) I've also been sitting with him in the field most evenings for 20 - 30 mins and I feel he looks for me now and is much more aware of where I am. Ears pricked and looks interested when he spots me (and not a treat in sight as he's a biter!!) I'm really liking writing the 10 things too. I feel it focuses me on all the good things and I do think it makes me more positive. I noticed today when I was grooming him he was all relaxed, I appeared with his tack and I started to feel apprehensive (I've not ridden in a fortnight due to his back and have always felt a bit nervous riding him initially) I noticed straight away that his attitude towards me changed as soon as I started to feel tense. He slightly moved away from me and wad looking at me suspiciously. I voiced my feelings to him (and me) and managed to talk them away and he changed back to being relaxed! So I'm becoming more tuned into how I'm feeling and how it affects him. Mr sensitive pants!!

There has been mention in this book of feel. Today's session I definitely had that. Goosebumps feel and a fab session.
I am sure feeling it :)

Will be redoing that session in the same way as I had been thinking of altering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cremola Foam
What day are you on newforest? Have you noticed a change in yourself?? I think I'm becoming more positive. Writing the 10 things everyday is definatly helping!

I am on day 13 as sometimes I repeat a day or I forget what it was.
Note to self, screenshot the page.
Being positive is definitely a good thing, you tend to focus on what didn't go right rather than what did.
I actually had to get off and lead past a smell, no way on this earth was she going forwards. But I rewarded the two steps forwards as Mark Rashid would call the try, then helped her out.
That's a 30 second blip out of an hour hack.

newrider.com