Buddy seat

2008 just under 3000 RTA deaths, 10 Riding related according to government figures.

4.2 million Riders/carriage drivers according to BEF, be generous and say 60 million car drivers.

21 more times likely to die from a RTA.

Serious injury? I don’t have the exact figures to hand, perhaps you do?

I'd be curious to know the comparison between the average time a car owner spends driving each day, versus the average time a horse owner spends riding each day. As surely this would be a massive factor is the statistical risk?

2008 just under 3000 RTA deaths, 10 Riding related according to government figures.

4.2 million Riders/carriage drivers according to BEF, be generous and say 60 million car drivers.

21 more times likely to die from a RTA.

Serious injury? I don’t have the exact figures to hand, perhaps you do?

are you actually spending your day googling for statistics?!

please does ANYONE know the price of bread?

I'd be curious to know the comparison between the average time a car owner spends driving each day, versus the average time a horse owner spends riding each day. As surely this would be a massive factor is the statistical risk?

good point Angelfben :)

i dont think i am the only one increasingly frustrated with some of levi1739's posts. they seem to get at everything and say nothing

As long as your “searching“ for softness I‘ll suffer your frustration. When you say my posts “seem to get at everything“ I hope you are beginning to realize that I truly believe that “everything“ to the horse is “feel, timing, balance“ and past that there is really not a whole lot to “work with“.

On this “buddi-seat” thread I have read many insinuating statements. These statements have led me to “ask some questions“. So far those haven‘t been addressed by the people who voiced the unsubstantiated opinions. These opinions/statements have included many subjects that were a long way from the topic. I’ll ask a couple that were relevant to the topic once more, in the hopes of getting some “considered” responses from folks.

Many here have said that children are much safer on their own pony, being ponied from another horse, being led from the ground etc. I ask once more for people experiences with why the feel this way. As I’ve stated, I’ve personally never carried a rider in the buddy seat,.but I do have a bit of experience with the other things mentioned. Can anybody confirm some experiences that would show me how being ponied or led is more “safe” than a passenger and in which method the “rider/handler” has the most control of the horse?

Then there was the point about the horses back being damaged behind the last rib etc. The picture that Clava offered seems pretty clear to me. Again I ask, “where is that childs weight putting pressure on the horse?” Tell me please, “what do you see?”

You think your frustrated, sheesh! Thankfully I have some horses that answer questions pretty well and I can always count on them for the “truth”.

This post pretty much sums it up for me, especially the first three words, since the theme seems to be often repeated. After looking at the problem I think I found some answers. At first it didn’t work so well but once we get the steering figured out I’ll think it might be the answer to some of the concerns.

I have no experience of these saddles and have read this thread with interest. I have to say that there is no way that I would put my child in one of these seats. It is just too dangerous.

Apart from anything else, you do not have eyes in the back of your head and how would you know that they were sitting straight in the saddle and not leaning over to one side so they can see where they are going? My son is 2 and a half and is no where near sensible enough to sit on a horse without being watched like a hawk. I would think that the child would need to be at least 5 years old to be able to trust to sit still, and by that age surely they are big enough for their own pony anyway.

I agree with the point that you cannot do an emergency dismount and if the horse bucks or spooks you are both in trouble. My saint of a horse who is used for all the beginners in the riding school threw me off last week. It goes to show that even the safest horses can buck and a responsible adult needs to ensure that the child gets the assistance they need as quickly as possible if the worst does happen. You cannot do that if you are sitting on the same horse.

MVC-282S.jpg

What did folks find out on the “American” forums? I have no idea of how popular or ***-liked they are. What research has been done by Abetta I wonder? All I have offered in this thread are my "thoughts" based on my own “experiences”. Are saddle buddies dangerous? “Yes”. More dangerous than other horse activities? “Not in my experience”. Does the horse sit on the weak part of the horses back? “no”. That’s how I see it anyway. Your welcome to feel otherwise. :)

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

Last edited:

Yes and no, this stat just shows how likely someone is to die based on activity.

YES thats the whole point i was trying to make in real terms the risk is increased by the number of time an activity is taken as well as so many other factors and for the horse it's the horse, rider, location, activity etc so just saying horses are dangerous or not 100% reliable is going to be wrong in some situations, including using a buddy.

Stats can be used to manipulate the truth a bit, but on the whole they are useful for trends.

Professor David Nutt chairman of the Home Office's Advisory Council
Where can I find this documented?
I am seriously interested, because these figures seem inaccurate??

ETA: Wait a minute, I know this chap :rolleyes:. For a number of reasons I really wouldn't go around quoting him :rolleyes::confused:. He holds a lot of very disturbing views, many of which have been challenged by his peers. He also has some major declarations of interest. I will say no more on a public board.
Lots of you will have heard of him, by the way, he's the chap who claimed ecstasy is no more dangerous than horse riding.

Last edited:
Where can I find this documented?
I am seriously interested, because these figures seem inaccurate??

Remember the uproar when Professor David Nutt said "taking ecstasy was no worse than the risks of "equasy", a term he invented to describe people's addiction to horse-riding."

Thats the number published and not once disputed, i assume he got it from some part of the government.

I was editing my post when you replied Chilli

I don't think his figures are in the least bit accurate.
But we are going even further off topic here.

I was editing my post when you replied Chilli

I don't think his figures are in the least bit accurate.
But we are going even further off topic here.

The numbers were almost certainly from the national audit office, the story was covered by most of the major press, TV stations and media companies in the country, the numbers were not disputed by anyone as far as I’m aware and that includes the BEF, BHS etc.

Why do you doubt the accuracy?

Good grief! I've now totally lost the will to live!

Statistics are great you can use them to get pretty much any answer you want.
There are so many many variables that I'm afraid I cannot see that the comparisons you make are valid.

I give up now - off to get my tea. Have fun wrangling over the stats.

This is an interesting thread. I don't know very much about horses, but have learnt a lot through NR and threads like this.

I agree that I would ont be keen to use this for my children from a safety oint of view.

Putting pressure on the wrong part of the horses back is something I knew very little about but seeing the diagrams and explanations on here it makes me understand more about how crucial it is to be careful.

Got me wondering about horse vaulting so googled for a picture....

http://www.sugargumfarm.com.au/uploads/images/Cosmo & 7 Kids.jpg

I appreciate this has only been done for a photo - but surely horse vaulting has issues when sometimes the weight of the vaulter is behind the ribs?

I too am very confused. We all know that driving a car and horse riding can result in a serious head injury - but what has that got to do with a buddy seat?

I know some people don’t understand, I don’t think I can do much more to help them.

The objections to the Buddy are two fold.

First it’s more dangerous, the car example is supposed to ask/show more dangerous than what, everything is dangerous and many factors define how dangerous something is, the it’s dangerous full stop statements don’t take this into account.

Second it puts pressure in the weakest part of the horses back and that’s bad for all horses full stop, the cavalry example and scientific study into exo-muscular systems are supposed to show how this is not always the case.

The vaulting example that has been put forward for consideration is a modern example of how pressure greater than a small child is put in this area of the horses back which does not cause the issues which has been suggested are unavoidable.

But we have been round the houses several times and people are disputing the number of horse related deaths the BEF and BHS haven’t disagreed with, so i don’t think the threads going to get a conclusion, Jack’s questions seem to go unanswered I will bow out.

Last edited:
I don’t think I can do much more to help them.

How bloody patronising !

we all clearly bow in honour of your every word !!! :rolleyes:

pah Ive had enougth of going round in circles, I'm off to price check bread...

newrider.com