Confidence and size of horses?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Do you think that the size of horse contributes to people losing confidence?

People say I shouldnt dream of buying a Connemara as they are too forward going for an old lady. But, if I think about it, being run away with by my fav. Connemara cross wasnt half as unsettling as when a normally calm, larger Irish mare fled away from a bonfire, in gallop.

Have most people suffering with confidence, first felt fear when trying to sit a larger horse?

I don't find size makes any difference, what does is being on the wrong horse. One you haven't bonded with.
I have had shetland take off with me down a road, so anything with a brain the size of a walnut in a body that neighs can take off.
It is further to fall, so perhaps as you get older you think being nearer the ground could be more useful, also for getting on.
I have seen ponies out run big horses, so again it isn't a size thing for me anyway.

Everyone at some point has had confidence issues, i am not different from the next person. I was on the wrong pony, i had said i didn't want to ride it, something about it i didn't like and as a result i come off. That knocked my confidence. Now if i do not feel like riding it, i don't .

I agree its the horse and not its size....my wrong horse who pertrified me was only about 15h and it was the feeling i was getting from her, she didn't want me on her and I wanted nothing more than to be off and safely back on the ground yet the 16.2 big forward going boy I rode for a while was lovely and even while reversing away from things didn't scare me.

I do like my wee girl tho...14.2 suits me and would def freak out if another horse who wasn't her did the things she sometimes does :giggle:

The only bones I have ever broken, falling off, were when backing Shetlands.

I think there's a couple of things when it comes to confidence. The size and smoothness of the movement and our ability to go with it. Also the nature of the horse. Lastly the practicalities of the mount and dismount.

I think size can definitely un-nerve me. For example, Joe was a 16.3hh gent (most of the time) but when he put his mind to it - he obviously remembered the reason he'd been born and bred - ie, to run (fast!) and one time OH and I "swapped" horses for a hack. I got on board and then just as quickly got back off (slithered more like) because I knew that he was having one of his "episodes" and I simply did not want to come off out hacking from that height !!!! (I am 5ft 2inches so not tall).
However, having said all that - Storm is 15hh and is wick! She is like lightning when the mood takes her, and her walk can scare themost stolid of riders............(I am not making this assumption I've been told by my old RI!!!!)
I would always approach any horse regardless of size with caution for the first time riding out - but have to say, personally, I do feel happier on a smaller model!!! I rode large cobs to start with in my lessons - and these could at times appear a bit scary - as they did move fast despite being cobs and allegedly having a reputation for steadiness.

Just wanted to add; on holiday a few years ago - I rode a mahoosive cob lady - she was the biggest they had at around 17hh (I think) and never put a hoof wrong - and, I felt really safe and I know it sounds weird, but she was like a comfy armchair as she was so steady and wide.

I personally prefer riding smaller types and when the time comes for me have my own then its ponies i will be primarily looking at.Current share is 15.2 and if i am honest she is probably a little too big for me ( I am 5ft tall) . Thinking about it.. although she is well schooled i still dont feel 100% "safe" on her but this could be because i have had a fall off her which really knocked my confidence & has added to the wariness of being on a larger horse rather than her actual size.

I'm really not sure about this to be honest. Ask me a year ago and I would have said big horses all the way, but I now ride a sharp, excitable little pony. His antics don't phase me in the slightest, but if it was a 16.3hh horse leaping about underneath me rather than my 13hh-er, I'm not sure I would feel so calm!

It may be down to bond and trust, I haven't ridden any other naughty ponies to compare it to.

Do you think that the size of horse contributes to people losing confidence?

People say I shouldnt dream of buying a Connemara as they are too forward going for an old lady. But, if I think about it, being run away with by my fav. Connemara cross wasnt half as unsettling as when a normally calm, larger Irish mare fled away from a bonfire, in gallop.

Have most people suffering with confidence, first felt fear when trying to sit a larger horse?

I think yes, it might contribute to people losing confidence, but there are so many other variables to consider that I couldn't add my own story as justification for this theory.
1. I was returning to riding after a twelve year break.
2. I was alot older than when I originally rode

My horse is large in all directions - not just height. That makes his presence all the more intimidating and I do think this contributed to my confidence loss, but I guess we'll never know if a smaller horse and all other factors remaining the same, would have resulted in the same loss of confidence.

As an older rider I think I do feel safer on a smaller horse, purely because of the 'not so far to fall' thing. I'm more likely to fall off Raf (14.3 ish) than OH's horse Jack (16.2 ish) but feel less worried about it. I think I would hit the ground with a real thud if I fell off Jack!

Also, Jack is so much stronger than Raf, he's a gentle giant really, but I feel as though I physically have more control over Raf than I do Jack - an illusion I know as if it did come to a battle of strength I wouldn't win!

my friend has always said how much safer she feels on her 17.3h compared to all the smaller horses she rides for others - HOWEVER, i have noticed she is losing her confidence on her big horse lately because he is becoming naughty and bucking etc....so goes to show its just down to how safe the horse is irrelevant of their size.

my friend has always said how much safer she feels on her 17.3h compared to all the smaller horses she rides for others - HOWEVER, i have noticed she is losing her confidence on her big horse lately because he is becoming naughty and bucking etc....so goes to show its just down to how safe the horse is irrelevant of their size.

Your rite about the part its how safe the horse is but if I didn't know the horse and there was a 17hand plus or 14.3 I will pick the 14.3 I think lol
Although my silver is 16hands and I trust 100% but thats after getting to know her.

I do agree that generally it very much depends on the horse. But from a purely practical point of view I have always found it a lot easier to sit a big horse when it broncs than to sit a pony throwing a wobbly. :unsure:

Well I prefer horses to ponies to my liking, ponies = to crafty and smart for their own good. There are smart horses out there of course, but from my limited experience in my youth, I met more smarter ponies than I did horses, so it has left me keen on horses more. Plus being 5ft 8 I personally won't get on anything under 15 hh, I feel underhorsed.

The larger the better for me :biggrin:

I am 5'10" so in my adult life I've never really ridden a pony. I've owned big horses 15.2h and up for the last decade.
Every once in awhile I get to ride a stout well trained pony gelding in my lesson and he is just fantastic. I do feel safer closer to the ground and am happy I have the opportunity to practice the scarier stuff with him first.
I'd love to have a pony like that.

I ride a very varied bunch and I have to say the ponies make me nervous. I hack a friends 16.3 for the first time every around our tracks and didn't blink. then I schooled her daughters pony and was convinced he would tank off with me.:unsure:

So happier on the biggies

there's advantages and disadvantages to any size I reckon :)

I learned to ride on great big german warmbloods and TBs - rode them for years and years. then discovered icelandics and straight away felt more 'at home' on around 13hh in general.

BUT - give me a big horse buck over a pony buck any day :giggle:

and give me a big horse rapid spin over a pony spin any day also!

Can't speak for others, but my confidence wobbles started after comming off a 13.2 pony.

Totally not his fault, and we (I) am working through the trust issues.

I found that I was fine(ish) after the initial fall and recovery, when i wasn't allowed on for 8 weeks, but got worse after I had to have a second op and recovery when I couldn't ride for 6 weeks.

Wierd, because the second lot of pain and trauma was medical and nothing to do with the horse, but I haven't got a phobia about surgeons, its cantering and riding on my own. :unsure:

newrider.com