Doing it all wrong

Okay having a bit of fed up day. Moan post.

I have finally managed to get a recommendation from the company I used three months after my initial enquiry. (one of the reasons I just went out and bought what I saw secondhand) 🤦‍♀️

She's not going to be easy to fit - I know that's why I am asking you.

My photos weren't clear, really?

Might want to change to a trimmer, change the farrier yes. Trimmer undecided as before they weren't in the area as not enough using, got messed about.

I feel as if our face didn't "fit", or at least her hooves didn't.

We've ordered one boot as both not in stock. I will trawl later to find the other.
Oh that's frustrating! what did they says wasn't clear on the pictures?

I don't know which photo wasn't clear.

I originally sent photos two weeks post trim, but they wanted certain angles, fair enough.
The farrier wasn't then coming for another two months, and she wasn't sound enough to walk down to flat road.
So I waited and sourced something to keep us going.
Farrier comes, I wait for her to be comfortable and use my boots to walk down to take off to get the photos 😂

I am not bothering with the fit kit as what fits will be the best of the worst.
If it doesn't fit right now, it might do a few trims down the road.
I know when she had boots last time her hoof changed sizes. So I will just line then all up and add a caption for the competitions 😂

@MrC those shells are interesting. Which boot is it?

@newforest sorry you and the cob are having a mare. Which boots did you decide were best?
We are going with Cavallo.
The company only has one in stock so need to source the other from elsewhere.
That's okay as a member has suggested somewhere.

Reactions: MrC
My boots arrived 😁 they’re not a terrible fit, I have to give it some to twist them but even then they don’t move far and I can get a finger under the heel strap in the middle 1/3, but not the outside 1/3s. But, there is a slight gap at the sides, but I’m not sure it’s enough to go down to a slim….🤔 I can’t touch the fronts together if try.
IMG_7647.jpeg
IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7652.jpegIMG_7653.jpeg
The one bit I’m not keen on is the extra boot at the side, I can see him stepping on that and ripping them off. But this is his feet 4 days after a trim, it won’t be long until he’s got more foot.
IMG_7655.jpeg
IMG_7656.jpeg
He walked and trotted in them nicely.
I don’t intend to use these regularly, they’re more just to have in case and to carry on longer rides incase we hit a particularly stoney path.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MrC
My boots arrived 😁 they’re not a terrible fit, I have to give it some to twist them but even then they don’t move far and I can get a finger under the heel strap in the middle 1/3, but not the outside 1/3s. But, there is a slight gap at the sides, but I’m not sure it’s enough to go down to a slim….🤔 I can’t touch the fronts together if try.
View attachment 118992
View attachment 118993

View attachment 118996View attachment 118997
The one bit I’m not keen on is the extra boot at the side, I can see him stepping on that and ripping them off. But this is his feet 4 days after a trim, it won’t be long until he’s got more foot.
View attachment 118998
View attachment 118999
He walked and trotted in them nicely.
I don’t intend to use these regularly, they’re more just to have in case and to carry on longer rides incase we hit a particularly stoney path.
If you only plan to grab in case, will they fit the hoof if you have say a months growth. Or a bit of a shape change?
It's funny as I wanted a pair to just grab in case and now we will have them for the foreseeable with an adjustment to the trim time frame.

Yes they should fit throughout the trim cycle, but I normally trim him myself anyway so it doesn’t make such a difference.

Did the company suggest sending them photos so they can access the fit as well?
They probably would have if I’d used a company 😁 I just measured up and sourced them second hand - my whole point about doing it all wrong 🤣

I’ve done some research and that side gap at the bottom is pretty normal, the slight gap at the top he’ll probably grow into but you can buy a shim to add for a couple of weeks after a trim if they move.

They look pretty good Jessey! I love a new shiny boot.

Can you let me know how you find the Scoots in muddier conditions. P struggles a bit in his current back boots in mud often leave them off and would love to get him a more off road, 4x4-esque pair so we have more options.

I was just about to say, I use a pad after a trim and then saw you had mentioned shims, so hopefully that is you sorted!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
Good to clip, box, and boot 😂

My only concern if I were to have one is the fact it comes up high and firm at the back. However the inside is really soft and they've got to break in.
Big bonus is I don't need to pick her hooves out again when we get back.
We need to do just roadwork at the moment as she's in season. We had to come off the moors as she was neighing for nookie, (more than once) with a few leaps and prongs. We didn't see White Face as he would have come over like last time she called him!
collage-1692279307628.jpg

Reactions: MrC and Jessey
I rode Jess in treks for years, never had a single issue with rubbing as long as they were cleanish inside and fitted well over the heel. Good Luck!

Successful first ride in the boots, they sounded slightly flip flop ish for the first couple of minutes but probably only while they settled and while I was paying super close attention. Walk, trot (lots of) and canter and they didn’t move at all, and he wasn’t fussed by them, so I’m happy with that.

• Love
Reactions: newforest
I am toying with the inserts for mine, but will see how she goes.
She has thin soles.
I found the best for Jess’ thin soles were the Equine Podiatry Supplies EPS composite 7lb pads, I found the cavallo gel pads and easy care pads all wore through in a ride or two. I did have to go up a boot size to use them though as they’re quite thick.

I found the best for Jess’ thin soles were the Equine Podiatry Supplies EPS composite 7lb pads, I found the cavallo gel pads and easy care pads all wore through in a ride or two. I did have to go up a boot size to use them though as they’re quite thick.
Thanks will look into that.
I noticed today that's all these gritty stones are across the road where they've built ten new houses, nobody sweeps up after themselves anymore then.

newrider.com