Feeding for condition without the fizz

Hayz

Dec 23, 2005
Far Far away!!
Hiya,

My new horse comes on Friday, (Hopefully), but needs more weight on her and has not alot of condtion(No topline what so ever). So what can I feed her to put the weight on but not make her fizzy? I thought of topline conditioning cubes or calm and condition but the first may make her fizzy and the second sent my friends mare loopy!

The thing to do is aim to feed as high fibre diet as possible, you may find that she will gain weight on just fibre - highly strug (those predisposed to fizziness) horses often will stress off their weight when fed lots of mixes etc.

What you want is slow release energy to gain weight, fats (oils) are very good for this and fibre, where for fizziness you feed sugars, starch and protein - which most mixes and nuts are high in all 3, so thats why its best to avoid them as much as possible.

Start with adlib god quality hay, perhaps adding some high fibre haylage to top that up. Giving hard feeds consisting of mostly Alfalfa with supplemental oil will be a good place to start - I also like to add unmolassed sugar beet (speedybeet or the like) and grass nuts as these are both high fibre slow release energy so should help pack on the pounds without excess energy.

A good guide to feeding is you should always feed by weight (not scoops) and as per condition. The general rule is a horse needs 1.5% of total body weight to loose weight, 2% to maintain weight and up to 3% to gain weight.

If for example the horse was 600kg (you would need to weigh tape her) then to maintain her current weight (2% ratio) she would need 12kg of feedstuffs per day, at least 75% of this should be forage (but up to 100% can be forage) so working on that she would need at least 9kg of hay/haylage/grass going in per day and only 3kg of hard feed per day.

If you find after a few weeks she is really not improving then there are a few options, conditioning cubes should be fine, they shouldn't give to much energy but you can never tell :rolleyes: calm and condition should be great or ride and relax - though my mare got very hyper on that so its a bit of trial and error. I really like Baileys number 1, I have never had a horse fizz up on it yet and its great for weight :D Barley is great for weight gain but can fizz them up :p

J x

Hehe!

Thanks, she will get as much hay as she can eat :) and at grass for 12 hours a day on fairly good grass. So apart from that alfalfa or grass nuts and speedy-beet with oil. ??? :eek:

I dont know thats shes fizzy but she seems as though she could fizz if that makes sense?? :rolleyes:

Whats the difference in chaff and alfalfa is is just the oil?

Hayz x

Whats the difference in chaff and alfalfa is is just the oil?
Generally alfa in the Uk comes as a chaff (as in a short chopped forage feed stuff) but I guess the chaff you referr to is Mollychaff and the like?

Chaff is just chopped oat straw normally covered in molasses, this is just a bulker and provides very little nutritional value but the molasses can make some horses fizzy.
Where alfalfa is a legume which is a type of leafy plant that is highly nutritious (lots of trace elements) whilst it is high in fibre. Dengie make an alfa range - Alfa lite (no covering) Alfa A is molasses covered and Alfa Oil which is oil covered, for ease Alfa oil just saves you adding extra oil to the diet, AlfaA is good for tempting fussy eaters and Alfa Lite for fatties :D

I would definatly second the Simple systems range - check out their website as it does give lots of info on feeding fibre diets, it benifits etc :D

Alfa A Lite has molasses extract as the covering, I'd go for Alfa Oil or ring Simple Systems up and ask for their advice.

Had a horse years ago that needed condition putting on - fed her bluechip original, it certainly didn't fizz her up and the results were amazing - I would highly recommend it.

soya oil (although some horses get fizzy on oil) and cooked flaked barley. both should help put the weight on and schooling and work will get the muscle on.

jesseys has written pretty much my mind.
oil contains 2.25 times the energy amount found in normal compound feeds, but as it is released slowly it is more likely to condition and provide sparkle without fizz.
you must feed a high fibre diet; if your horse is in light to moderate work then he should be receiving at least 70-80% good quality forage (soaked/steamed hay preferably, or haylage).

as all mixes tend to contain a lareger amount of starch, sugar and less fibre when compared to a cube, i recommend that you either feed a high-fibre, low-starch and low-energy cube (such as Spillers High Fibre Cubes) or, even better, one of the Dengie Fibre feeds: such as Alfa-Lite (for horses in moderate-medium work who need a low-sugar diet, such as laminatics, fizzy horses or good doers) or Hi-Fi Lite (for similiar horses in rest or light work); however the feed you use and the amount of it depend on the individual horse, so i strongly sugest that you contact Dengie by email/phone (see the website) for more specific, professional advice (they are very helpful!).
these Dengie feeds are contain slow-release energy and high amounts of fibre (generally several times more than the average 'high-fibre' mix or cube) and valuable protein and calcium too, in particular.
for more enrgy/condition you can add some oil each day; three of the best including Soya, Corn and Linseed (Flax).
you will need to feed about 2-2.5kg of a high-fibre cube each day to supply your horse with a balanced diet, or if you feed less (check the bag) or use oneof the Dengie Fibre feeds then you'll need to add either a feed balancer or vitamin and mineral supplement. high quality examples of feed balancers are Blue Chip Original/Lami-Light and Baileys Lo-Cal, and vit & min supplements; NAF Pink Powder, and Global herbs Globalvite. all alongside plenty of (preferably ad-lib) forage of course!
good luck, and if you're still in a muddle then please feel free to PM me! i also ride and have cared for fizzy types like yours; he sound lovely!
:)

I swear by baileys number 4 and plenty of hay. So which one did you go for? Was it the mare?:) Sorry if you are now freaking out that you have a stalker.... relax, I've read some of your posts:D
Good luck with new ned:)

Good luck for today. Everything is crossed for you.

Cilla needed to put on condition. I did 3/4 scoop conditioning cubes+ half scoop chaff twice a day+ hay.

She has done very well on this and looks amazing.

Cant find the before picture this morning. GRRR

Libbyo :)

Attachments

• cilla 20 jan tacked.jpg
    cilla 20 jan tacked.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 15
so 2 feeds of Baileys number 4, alfalfa and speedi-beet with as much hay as she can eat

Sounds like a good plan. I would use Alfa-Oil instead of Alfa-A thought - it's the same price roughly (actually a bit cheaper by voloum) and much higher in energy.

I'd also buy Pink Power (by NAF) as a one off - it's about £20 for a 100day supply and has made a huge difference to Kalli. It will help kick start her digestion, give her all the minerals and bits she needs and once she's gained what she needs you don't need to replace it.

I agree in theory with what people are saying and Baileys top line with speedibeet or readibeet are my feeds of choice.

However can I just add a caution that unless the horse's condition is very bad I would not rush to put on condition but get to know the horse first.

Spring is coming and this is usally the point of the year that horses are at their 'poorest' and as nature intends the spring grass with higher protein will be here soon providing natural conditioning..

newrider.com