Feeding for condition without the fizz

Sounds like a good plan. I would use Alfa-Oil instead of Alfa-A thought - it's the same price roughly (actually a bit cheaper by voloum) and much higher in energy.

I'd also buy Pink Power (by NAF) as a one off - it's about £20 for a 100day supply and has made a huge difference to Kalli. It will help kick start her digestion, give her all the minerals and bits she needs and once she's gained what she needs you don't need to replace it.

By energy is that potential fizz? :)

I was going to get a supplement for hoofs (Formula for feet) would I need both? (I know there diffent but would the powder help hoof growth as very flat heel)

Would she need anything to bulk it out? :)

I agree in theory with what people are saying and Baileys top line with speedibeet or readibeet are my feeds of choice.

However can I just add a caution that unless the horse's condition is very bad I would not rush to put on condition but get to know the horse first.

Spring is coming and this is usally the point of the year that horses are at their 'poorest' and as nature intends the spring grass with higher protein will be here soon providing natural conditioning..

Hiya

I understant what your saying its just her hip bones are very visable but she isnt that ribby. She has no muscle what so ever :)

I'm no expert on feeds but from previous experience i'd watch it if you do start to feed her Alpha A and make sure you get the quantity right. There's several on our yard that react to it and it makes them more fizzy than usual. Also i'd probably not put her on on a hoof supplement until you've spoken to your farrier and see what he thinks of her feet first. I was going to put mine on a formula but with using Stockholm tar and cornucrescine her feet have improved so much . I'm always hesitant about adding too many supplements as half the time you don't know quite what you're feeding. Def. see what sort of girlie she is first and then go from there.

Alfa-Oil is meant to be very non-fizzy. For horses that react, it's because of the alfalfa (which means they'd react to any alfalfa product). Alfa-Oil is even less 'fizzy' than Alfa-A as it contains no mollases at all. It's also much higher in digestible engery ('read 'weight gain') than Alfa-A due to the oil in it. Alfa-A is really meant to be for horses in hard work that needs a little extra 'oomph'

I would go for the Pink Powder first (it's got all the essential vits and mins as well as Biotin I think) then once it's run out, THEN get a foot supplement. It's like Yakkult for horses and seems to have worked really well for Kalli (I hadn't used it before but would reccomend it to anyone now).

And as you're feeding a really high fibre diet (a good thing) she won't need an extra bulk else she'll not manage to eat it all.

Ahhhhhhhhhh ok. So maybe spedi-beet and No4 with the oil? Whats in the spedi-beet? (Why am I feeding it?) :)

Whats different in the alfa oil and say veggy oil?

She was meant to of been wormed 2 weeks ago :rolleyes: but if she was what wormer would be safe to give her as she has to be wormed before she can go out?

:eek: :eek: Only 3 hours and she will have arrived :eek:

And the boy will be going :(:(:(:(:(

You better get food shopping then;)

Speedibeet is quick-soak sugar beet without the mollassas -it's quicker and easier and less fizzy for 'fizzy' horses. It's very high fibre and digested all in the hind gut, keeping them warm (not the same as 'heating' which is another word for 'fizz') , giving them a slow release energy (like eating a banana before an exam rather than a bag a sweets)

Alfa-Oil is a chaff (chopped short stuff) made from alfalfa (a thick stemmed dark green grass). It's impregnated with oil to add to it's calories. Oil is just that - oil (think gloopy stuff that's a pain in the ass when it spills every where;)). Adding straight oil (i.e veggie oil) to Alfa-A Lite would basically make it into Alfa-Oil but it's faffing and probably more expensive in the long run as you also need to suppplement Vit E to help with oil absorbtion and the oil in Alfa-Oil is extra specially digestable.

Balielys No4 is a pelleted wheat feed that's great for conditioning but due to the pellets it's not high in mollasses (mix feeds are coated in mollasses) and higher in fibre. It will still fizz up some horses but it's the best of a bad buynch. If you want NO fizzying you could feed more Alfa-Oil and no cubes. You may have to if the new mare is very fizzy.

Thanks for the links :)

Ok so what about the wormer?

Its ok shopping tommorow (Just happens to be payday ;) :D ) Not sure if I should feed a hard feed tonight as I dont think she has been getting and i only have average pony nuts. :confused:

2-2.5 hours :eek: :D

I would give her just speedibeet and Alfa-Oil tonight with plenty of hay then wean her onto the cubes if you think she needs it. I would also start the Pink Powder tonight if you're going to go with that.

Ask the feed store about wormers - they should have done a course on them to be allowed to sell them and will tell you what's best out of what they have.

I thought you might have that misconseption, hence the link;):p ANd hence no 'bulking' needed.

didn't read it properly:eek: - just a big pile of hay and maybe scatter the nuts of the floor for her to find over-night (assuming she's stabled) isn'y going to kill her.

as those of us who have tried some kind of diet know already, no diet works without the added benefit of exercise; quality time spent working in hillwork and schooling to build up her fitness will develop her muscles as no diet alone will - even short sessions of 30 minutes or so, several times a week.
make sure that you feed either the recommended levels of hard feed as claimed by the manufactorer (check the bags) or add a feed balancer/vitamin and mineral supplement to balance the ration adn provide her with all the nutrients she needs to maintain optinum health without so much of the energy/protein as her condition levels out.
so be careful not to make her deficient in vitamins and minerals when you change her feeding regime; ask a nutritionist if ever you are unsure - it's free!

alfalfa is high in protein, calcium, high in fibre and dense yet slow-release energy, so as not to exaggerate your horse's natural temprement and to help provide 'sparkle' without fizz. the Dengie products are really fabulous!

if you use haylage then you will need to feed 1.5 times more than you would hay, top make up for its high water content.

good luck with your new horse!
:)

newrider.com