Getting a bit nervous..

Clava

Apr 24, 2008
On the South Downs, Hampshire
On Thursday evening we have organised a village meeting about the state of our local byways (you may have seen previous threads about my campaign to get them cleared) and how they should be maintained and how we can work with the motorbike groups to stop them being trashed - if possible, or work towards a TRO if they do damage them. Anyway, I have to open the meeting and described how we got to this point in our campaign and explain the history of it so far. I'm rubbish at public speaking and dreading it....any thoughts on calming nerves?

Here is a link to the photos of our byways at the moment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saveourbyways/

Some practical exercises you can do beforehand:

Drink room temperature water - hot or cold drinks change your vocal chords and will stop you from speaking clearly.

Don't drink milky drinks. These will coat the back of your throat.

Breath in and out, each to a count of 10.

Before you start, thank everyone for coming. Decide whether you want questions at the end or during the speech and tell people which it is to be.

While you're speaking: try to focus your talk to one or two people who are looking at your encouragingly. Vary your eye contact between these people and the audience will see you as looking confident and not staring at a single spot.

Take prompt cards and practice in front of either a mirror or some friends / family.

Think up likely questions you may be asked. If someone asks a question that you don't know the answer to, don't worry, Just tell them you'll need to look into it and ask them to approach you at the end so you can write it down with their contact details.

make sure you know what you want to say - take a deep breath and tell yourself you'll be fine and can do it - don't rush - speak slowly and clearly - what you think sounds slow to you is prob about right to listeners! and keep smiling

oh and have a shot of whisky before you go ;) :p

Last edited:
Some practical exercises you can do beforehand:

Drink room temperature water - hot or cold drinks change your vocal chords and will stop you from speaking clearly.

Don't drink milky drinks. These will coat the back of your throat.

Breath in and out, each to a count of 10.

Before you start, thank everyone for coming. Decide whether you want questions at the end or during the speech and tell people which it is to be.

While you're speaking: try to focus your talk to one or two people who are looking at your encouragingly. Vary your eye contact between these people and the audience will see you as looking confident and not staring at a single spot.

Take prompt cards and practice in front of either a mirror or some friends / family.

Think up likely questions you may be asked. If someone asks a question that you don't know the answer to, don't worry, Just tell them you'll need to look into it and ask them to approach you at the end so you can write it down with their contact details.

Thank you for your very helpful tips!
Fortunately I'm not doing this alone, just I'm the first one on. We planned the meeting, allowing time for each of the other speakers (Hampshire County Council rep, Ramblers rep and Parish Chairman), one of my friends is going to outline our proposed way forward and my OH will chair it (he's not party to our small campaign group which consists of four people). we also have maps and photos and slides...and we've invited the Trail Riders Federation (motorbike chaps) too.

I just know I'll want to rush it and may get flustered (I'd be less nervous sitting on an unbroken horse than doing this)

You'll be fine. As long as you don't say 'emmmm' or anything too much between sentences. If you take a break between sentences, don't say anything. A couple of seconds of silence is better than repeatedly saying a pet word.

I tutor training courses as part of my job and I have had to train myself very hard to not do that!

You'll be fine. As long as you don't say 'emmmm' or anything too much between sentences. If you take a break between sentences, don't say anything. A couple of seconds of silence is better than repeatedly saying a pet word.

I tutor training courses as part of my job and I have had to train myself very hard to not do that!

Thank you, I'll try and will let you know how it goes.:)

Hope it goes brilliantly for you and that you achieve your aims and get the bridleways sorted.

Good luck (but you won't need it) and look forward to hearing how it went.

Ermm... do not under any circumstances drink the entire big bottle of Rescue Remedy in one go - you may get an uncontrollable attack of the giggles!! But don't forget your prompt cards - fabulous for when the mind goes blank or you spot scarey faces in the audience...

good luck - you'll be just fine - remember to keep breathing!

Ermm... do not under any circumstances drink the entire big bottle of Rescue Remedy in one go - you may get an uncontrollable attack of the giggles!! But don't forget your prompt cards - fabulous for when the mind goes blank or you spot scarey faces in the audience...

good luck - you'll be just fine - remember to keep breathing!

Ok - mustn't drink the whole bottle and keep breathing - got it!

...now how does this powerpoint thing work....?

when we started our bridleways group two years ago I had to stand up and speak in front of about 65 people and at that time we werent as knowledgeable as we are now about bridleways. I made a complete b....s of it or so I thought but was congratulated by a number of people at the end of the meeting !!!! It was the first time I had ever done this and now we have monthly meetings I just stand up and do it !!! One word of advice - this is obviously something that is close to your heart so stand up and speak with your heart, dont worry about messing up no-one minds.

Good luck :):):):)

I have followed your other threads, and also how hard you have worked to achieve what you have...........IMO......have a huge gin and tonic, then imagine them all sitting there naked, whilst you open the meeting, this is to relax you :D
Good luck,(not that you need it).........seems to me you do a fab job, just need some support from those that have `the powers` :)

I have followed your other threads, and also how hard you have worked to achieve what you have...........IMO......have a huge gin and tonic, then imagine them all sitting there naked, whilst you open the meeting, this is to relax you :D
Good luck,(not that you need it).........seems to me you do a fab job, just need some support from those that have `the powers` :)

This will make you laugh...years ago friends rode around the village (and nearly fell off laughing), they walked past a high garden wall and could see over it, where the owners were having a nudist garden party!

Just as an update, the meeting went really well!:)

We had expected 50 people max and 100 odd turned up. I got through my bit OK, without any real problems. There was a good debate about the byways use and a village vote on whether our inclusive method (working with TRF) would be supported. Only 4 people voted against and that was because they wanted other lanes included (out of our remit). We had Ramblers, bikers, walkers, riders and County Council reps there and everyone played nicely.
So, we will get a voluntary agreement that motorbikes only use them in suitable conditions.
We will monitor and photo the lanes to document their condition and if necessary seek a further TRO if things go down hill. All good stuff.

(but I am glad it's over, I'm no publlic speaker!)

Dead impressed with your efforts to work across a number of concerned user groups. Theres a few on here who dont seem to like walkers or cyclists and in the end, its in all of our interests to keep Rights of Way open and in good nick. I think you must be an excellent diplomatist.:cool:

newrider.com