Hackamores

Either this is what the horse has been trained to work with, and you will find how heavy your hands need to be in a short time, as he will respond quickly, or, the horse is so easy going that you could probably ride him in a halter and he would do as well. Good luck and Happy Trails!

Thanks Outrider, you must be right about him being so used to it. I have another question, this horse, Red, just won't stop, he always wants to keep going. When in a hackamore what are some pointers you guys have to keep him from moving to fast and to help me stop him. Thanks, by the way, I am new to riding.

p.s. I do know how to half halt and that works it just seems like such a bother to continue to do that. I am so curious because we are thinking abou buying this horse, what do you think of Medal to the Pedal for a name??? ;)

Katey, if the horse is in a hack and is not responding to it, its time to go to a different bit. A Tom Thumb snaffle or a long shank snaffle. Horses in my experience either respond well to a hack or simply run right through it. But, you can turn him in a ever smaller circle to get him to slow down. But the best bet is to change from a hack to a bit. Happy Trails!

Here'sa picture of a Tom Thumb: Tom Thumb snaffle

It's a lot like the Argentine Snaffle, (a picture of one can be found under the thread entitled "bits"). It doesn't have the extra setting for different levels of leverage and controllike the Argentine. I know a lady whose horse hated the Tom Thumb but went beautifully in the Argentine. They are both fairly sensetive bits but like all things, can be harsh if misused. Hope this helps, Kate :)

Hey!

Hey! Can anyone please show me a picture of a hackamore? I would like to know, just in case becasue I *think* my pony has one, but im not sure! thanks :) :)

A Tom Thumb isn't a brand, its a style or type of bit. It is a training bit that has very short shanks and a snaffle mouthpiece. The short shanks can make the bit severe and it needs to be used with light hands. It will give you good control of the horse. If a horse doesn't stop with a hack, it will with a Tom Thumb, with just a little pressure. Happy Trails!

half halts too much.. ??!!

Can't stop myself wading in here. Half Halts are too much, so you'd rather change bits. But then you say the place you ride is Centered Riding ? Isn't this all a bit back to front.

If you change bits to get better brakes, rather than working out what the root cause is, then you are opening yourself up to a never ending escalation of stronger bits.

Maybe your body language is not clear enough, so the horse does not realise you want to slow down. Maybe he's not listening and you need to work with half halts to get his attention. Maybe he's uncomfortable some how. I know my older (30 yr old) pony has to take his time slowing down these days. There are 101 possibilities for why he does not slow doan. ONE of those many could be that he is not happy with the bit you have. Have you given all the other possibilities equal time and thought ?

Half Halts should not be a lot of work, but it may need a bit of focus to fine tune your aids to your horse's training and reactions. (finding out where the buttons are). But then half halts should be like breathing - something that just happens without you even having to think about it.

Like learning to drive, you have to focus on it while you are learning and then it becomes more natural. Or walking - you learn to walk when you are a baby, but I bet you no longer have to think how to walk !

And if you have instructors teaching Centered Riding, then they should be able to help you use this approach to help with your issue.

i looked at the link with the picture of the hackamores, and the one at the top is a *really* severe version. i'd be very surprised if lesson horses are being ridden in that type of hackamore. your average hackamore is much easier on the horse.
i'd agree with cvb that changing bits is almost never a solution to a horse with no brakes, but then some horses just don't like hackamores, while some just don't like bits.

Thanks for explaining all that to me....I just went on a trail ride and asked my instructor about it...and she said that the hackamores are a lot easier on the horses when a beginner is riding them...because and i quote "how would you like a big medal piece inside your mouth ripping at your flesh, thats what it feels like for the horse" ha ok...so thanks again!!!! :)

I think I would rather have a big piece of metal in my mouth than a hard thing over my nose, squeezing and pushing down on it. And it in no way rips their mouth! I would rather have a person with heavy hands using a bit than a hackamore. A hack takes a light hand that most new riders don't have. Some horses just won't take it. It isn't a device for them all. Happy Trails!

newrider.com