Lower back mobilisation exercises

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Does anyone know of some good lower back mobilization exercise? I have hyper mobile hips so have a tendency to lock my lower back and let them do the moving and I'm suddenly finding it hard not to do this when riding.

I can go to my Osteo, she will crunch and crack me but I want to find something that will help keep it loose once she has done the initial bit. I am guessing I need to improve my core strength to get long term relief? @OwnedbyChanter you are good on things like this, would appreciate your input if you have 5 mins :)

Last edited:
I see a physio once a fortnight for my lower back & hips and I get a 1:1 Pilates session with her. I’d really recommend a physio for this rather than an osteopath, Ive been going over a year now and it’s been a long slog but my core is improving, thus my hip pain is almost gone and my lower back is more supported. Im definitely noticing it in my riding

I could describe the first few I did but you really really need eyes on you to make sure you are engaging your core properly when you do them, have the correct pelvic tilt etc

There are some great stretching exercises you can do to improve core strength. The plank is not so much a stretch exercise but it is a good one as it really pulls on the stomach and lower back I find. You just increase the time you hold for.

I'd second the vote for a physio/pilates class. I do clinical pilates at work, which is run by the physio dept. As part of the warm up/loosening up routine we have to do pelvic circles and pelvic thrusts, which is a bit weird, especially with men in the class :p , but the instructor says is an excellent way of freeing up the lower back. Knees must be slightly bent to allow the pelvis to move freely and the aim is to keep the shoulders and upper body still.

However, I wouldn't want to recommend you to do an exercise which might not suit you with your own personal physical issues. I'd really ask an expert's opinion first!

I had 1-2-1 physio/pilates and ridden pilates lessons, not something I can afford to do regularly or long term and unfortunately my life doesn't allow me to go to a regular class, they are all at times that really don't suit me around here. My osteo is a naturopath, so it isn't all about crunching thankfully.

I was thinking more about how cycling combats my knee pain from years of riding by using opposite muscles, not something I would need a physio to see me for to suggest.

Well I find the pelvic circles/thrusts very beneficial, just not sure how it sits with hyper mobile hips, as obviously there's a lot of hip movement involved even though the hips don't drive the movement.

Reactions: Jessey
Well I find the pelvic circles/thrusts very beneficial, just not sure how it sits with hyper mobile hips, as obviously there's a lot of hip movement involved even though the hips don't drive the movement.
Pelvic circles like hula hoop movement? maybe I should get a hula hoop :p I find doing exercises without a purpose I get lazy with very quickly, so that would make me do it properly :D

even one appointment to get you going? i only go so regularly as i really lost a lot of strength in my left leg after a herniated disc and hip probs. I dont think you’d need to go frequently. When you went before did they not give you some pointers?

Im out all day - but, when i get a chance this evening i will look back my old exercise sheets for you and try and copy them in if that would help.

I've got a book that I bought with good intentions and have never used. if its any use to you I'd gladly send it over - Pilates for Riders by Lindsay Wilcox-Reid

even one appointment to get you going? i only go so regularly as i really lost a lot of strength in my left leg after a herniated disc and hip probs. I dont think you’d need to go frequently. When you went before did they not give you some pointers?

Im out all day - but, when i get a chance this evening i will look back my old exercise sheets for you and try and copy them in if that would help.
Yes I could go once but they tend to give you, do 10 of this and 5 of that and you'll be fixed, which I am lax at doing, I want something to 'do' that will help :)

I've got a book that I bought with good intentions and have never used. if its any use to you I'd gladly send it over - Pilates for Riders by Lindsay Wilcox-Reid
That's very kind of you, I will Pm you :)

Pelvic circles like hula hoop movement? maybe I should get a hula hoop :p I find doing exercises without a purpose I get lazy with very quickly, so that would make me do it properly :D

Yes, but I'm rubbish at hula hooping. It is supposed to be good exercise though, maybe we should have a challenge? o_O:D

I can only hula hoop in one direction :oops::D...I think it must have something to do with my dodgy hip, well its not the actual hip but the big muscle around it is wasted..physio said it must be from an old injury?

I would love to see you and hank hula hooping .. him stuck in the middle of it all lol

We were doing spine mobilisation in Chi Gong today (chinese exercises). They were HARD.

Obviously all exercises are better with a teacher but you could try some of these.

Bend forward, rest your hands on your thighs. Breathe in, pull your stomach in as far as you can, arch your back as much as you can, like a cat. Breathe out, lower your back into a curve the other way, look up. So your back makes 2 opposite "c" shapes. Repeat.

Stand feet hip distance apart, knees soft, spine neutral/straight. Try to tilt just your tailbone a little forward, then back to neutral. Then tilt a little more of your spine each time - imagine adding one vertebra to the movement every time. Work right up your back, then work down again with one vertebra less each time.

Try the same exercise to the side. SO difficult to mobilise the spine to the side!

I see a physio once a fortnight for my lower back & hips and I get a 1:1 Pilates session with her. I’d really recommend a physio for this rather than an osteopath, Ive been going over a year now and it’s been a long slog but my core is improving, thus my hip pain is almost gone and my lower back is more supported. Im definitely noticing it in my riding

I could describe the first few I did but you really really need eyes on you to make sure you are engaging your core properly when you do them, have the correct pelvic tilt etc

Sorry only just seen this thread... Have to agree a physio is better than a Ostreo and any form of pilates or yoga the videos can be good once you know what you are doing but I would recommend a class 1:1 is awesome but expensive but once you get to know the feeling of how to engage your core you can carry on yourself.

They have fallen a little out of favor but the large gym balls are worth the money and if you have a desk job you can exchange your seat for it for 10 minutes every hour per day.

The key thing to remember with core excises is that unless you do them right you might as well not do them at all. So you need to know how to 'feel' when you are getting right then work up from there.

I do indeedy have a desk job and a gym ball so can do that easy enough.

I might have to make time to go to a short yoga or pilates class, I just know it wont last past the clock change as I'll be out riding then :p

newrider.com