Mylo' Milestones

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Mylo came to live with us a couple of weeks ago after my 15 year old Fell pony was diagnosed with Cushings and Laminitis.
He is a (very) chunky 13.3 hh gypsy cob, six years old and has already earned the nickname Dennis the Menace.
He is 'A Charactor'
Day one, he jumped the electric fence I put up to stop him eating too much grass, to get closer to the other horses.
Day three, he was spotted sun bathing in the field by my friend - definitely not stressed with the move then?
Day 10 my Fell pony was allowed out onto a bare paddock after 7 weeks box rest. My husband went up at dinner to give her a haynet, Mylo thought he should be having one too, so somehow managed to open the gate into the bare paddock, and stood next to Star sharing the haynet. Needless to say, there is now a rope tied round the gate too.

Today was our first lesson. Mylo has only ever hacked out and has not been schooled. However, he did very well. He was responsive to leg aids and tracked up really well, he is however unbalanced.
We asked for, and got a good turn on the forehand on both reins, and also a very good rein back. He also had a very good attempt at leg yield. We put a pole out and after an initial look, walked then trotted happily over it....two poles? No problem, after tripping over the second one, he realised it perhaps wasn't as easy as he first thought and decided that perhaps he should concentrate.
So, our homework for the next few weeks has been set. I am going to try him in a new bit, as he is in a straight bar bit and leans on my hands.
I also need to get a saddle fitter/ supplier out, as although his saddle is a good make, it is too big for me and I slide around a bit too much in it
Oh, and his shoes will be coming off next week too. So a few changes on the cards.

Well he soon got his hooves under the table then? :eek: What a superstar - hardly stressed himself over the move did he - I love characterful ponys, so much more entertaining. :D

Just back home after a few days holiday to keep the OH happy :p

Mylo was well looked after whilst I was away and apparantely behaved himself. We hacked out Saturday and Sunday, very forward going and happy to be doing something again.
I have found out over the last few weeks, that although he is chunky he isn't really greedy! He has a net of hay in the stable, plus a small net of straw which he only touches occasionally, and his field is now almost bare and he only nibbles at the haynet I put out for him.

Shoes coming off on Tuesday, I was just going to take backs off but decided fronts may as well come off too.
May be looking for hoof boots for fronts will have to see how he gets on.

Well his shoes are off!
Walked perfectly back to his field. Rode him in the school with no problems, so fingers crossed.
I have ordered the Scoot Boot fit kit though as the hacking round here is very stoney and I think he will need help initially at least.
Typically his feet are too big to borrow Star's Scoot Boot, so more expenses.

On the positive side, the insurance company has finally agreed to pay out my claim for Star's laminitis/ cushings treatment, which means that Mylo can have his 'new' saddle, that's providing I can actually get a saddle fitter to actually come out to me. One got back to me to say that she now only deals in new saddles, the other hasn't even replied to my message yet.

Oh, and more good news, I have an interview on Friday for a part time job nearer to home. Money isn't great, but the hours and location are perfect, it would mean that this two horse ownership lark would be a whole lot easier! Wish me luck.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh there's some positive news! Good luck with all of that, especially the interview.

Scoot Boots didn't work out for Ziggy, they just weren't the right shape for his foot. We ended up with the Renegade Vipers in a fetching bronze shade (I like to be able to find them when they come off). I could have saved the money and bought black ones because they don't come off!

Saddle Fitter booked for a couple of weeks time. She thinks she has a couple of saddles which may be suitable, so fingers crossed.
Scoot boots ordered and due for delivery on Thursday, so we can get out hacking again at weekend.
Onwards and upwards.

I used Trails initially, then changed to if over certain mileage, now she hasn't had them on for over a year.

Mylo had his teeth checked today. He was a bit worried but was (mostly) good.
The vet confirmed his age appeared correct. She had a look in his mouth and told me that he was actually missing two bottom teeth! Not sure if these have been removed or if they have just not erupted. I have got a printout of all work done by his previous vet, so will have a look to see if anything was mentioned on there.
Anyway his other teeth are all good, just needed a few edges taking off, and obviously the top teeth above his missing ones needed filing Down. Vet thinks they won't be a problem at all, but has recommended six monthly checks and maybe sedation at the next visit so she can have a proper go at them.
He soon recovered from his 'ordeal' and was chewing my pony tail and nibbling my ear whilst the vet was talking to me.

His big sister Star was an absolute drama queen as she had to have blood taken for the follow up cushings test. You would have thought the vet had a sword in her hand, not a needle with the fuss she was making. After dragging us both round the paddock for a couple of minutes, she gave in and stood nicely whilst the blood was take.

Reactions: domane
His big sister Star was an absolute drama queen as she had to have blood taken for the follow up cushings test. You would have thought the vet had a sword in her hand.

I get this for vaccines. She has bent a needle she is so tense, bless her.

His big sister Star was an absolute drama queen as she had to have blood taken for the follow up cushings test. You would have thought the vet had a sword in her hand, not a needle with the fuss she was making. After dragging us both round the paddock for a couple of minutes, she gave in and stood nicely whilst the blood was take.
Be aware when you get results (I'm assuming this was a resting ACTH test) as stress increases ACTH levels (perfectly normal for this to happen and not PPID related) so it can skew your results, just in case you don't get the drop you are hoping for x

Thanks for that Jessey, I didn't know.

Well Mylo has been renamed Dennis the Menace and Star is now known as Flirty Gertie!

Reactions: Jessey
The saddle fitter came out yesterday. She took templates, had a good feel of his back and shoulders and watched him walk to assess any problems. Everything was great.
She had brought 4 saddle to try, two were too narrow, the beautiful Kent and Masters saddle was the correct width, but sadly too long. The only one that fit him was brown. He didn't suit it at all, defiantly need a black.
Anyway, fingers crossed, she was an Ideal Event saddle due in next week, which she thinks will fit. And it's in my budget too.
What did surprise me was that I didn't have to pay the fitting fee yesterday, which I was expecting to have to do. Is that usual?
Mylo had a night off tonight, but only because the floodlight didn't come on in the school. Another job added to Mr Stars list!

Had to cancel our lesson today, due to a really freak accident on Thursday.
I was refilling water buckets in the paddock, using the wheelbarrow. Put the empty water holder in the wheelbarrow and turned to go get his haynet. I banged my knee on the handle of the wheelbarrow. Not very hard, but I felt my knee cap slip out of place, then, thankfully heard the crack as it went back in.
I now have a very sore, swollen knee that is painful to walk on.
At least it's taken my mind off the sore ankle from last weekends fall!

Very lucky it went back as last time I did something similar I was in plaster for nine weeks and on crutches for a further four

newrider.com