Overo, Sabino, Tobiano, Rabicano and Splashed White...

Just realised I missed a couple more... :eek:

Nik - your lad is another black tobiano. :)

Nasring - yours is definitely sabino (and all the roaning on his body is down to sabino). He may also be rabicano - can't see his tail well enough to say for sure, but rabicano causes 'skunk tail' and also roaning that's heavier on the quarters than anywhere else.

An interesting point with white patterns like sabino is that they tend to be more loudly expressed on red-based horses.

So is dawn sabino based on a few white hairs (you can't see in pics) a triangle of white on her chin, strange shaped blaze (?) and strange shaped socks?
1359860817a1360096264b806664802l.jpg

1359860817a1586309074b39062481l.jpg

1359860817a4370556418b286691167l.jpg

Sorry Kerpug, onluy just seen this.

You're right that your boy is bay roan; also known as red roan. Strawberry roan is chestnut + roan; blue roan is black + roan.

I didn't know bay roan and red roan were the same so thanks for that.

Just seen this thread (guilty as charged for not realising there are other places other than Gen, Cafe and Mature:eek:).

My mare is passported as piebald but Im not so sure. Jet black in the winter, lovely brown conker coloured in the summer and with ermine marks and a strange roan patch on one side.

Is she piebald or other? Thanks Chev.
031_312-1.jpg

Arnie is passported (CHAPS) as bay tobiano. Is he also sabino for his white blaze and under his chin?

Thanks Chev:)

Sancho, we have got to do pairs cross country one day:D

ps scuse his grumpy face - apparently he didnt appreciate getting his jammies pulled off for a photoshoot:(

CIMG3263Small.jpg

CIMG3266Small.jpg

Just seen this thread (guilty as charged for not realising there are other places other than Gen, Cafe and Mature:eek:).

My mare is passported as piebald but Im not so sure. Jet black in the winter, lovely brown conker coloured in the summer and with ermine marks and a strange roan patch on one side.

Is she piebald or other? Thanks Chev.

031_312-1.jpg

She looks piebald to me. The brown colour in summer is probably fading; lots of black do fade to really dark brown in the sun.

Arnie is passported (CHAPS) as bay tobiano. Is he also sabino for his white blaze and under his chin?

Thanks Chev:)

CIMG3263Small.jpg

CIMG3266Small.jpg

The white on his chin, under his jaw, and on his legs are all down to sabino, yes. :)

Hi Chev - very interesting thread if a bit confusing. If you have time could you tell me what these two are that would be great

camera1008.jpg

She has two small white markings either side of her neck - u can just about see it

camera1011.jpg

Thanks

PS -ignore the frost:D

The one with obvious white is a dark bay tobiano. Also looks like he (she?) carries sabino, looking at those socks.

The chestnut is interesting - what colour were her parents? If one of them was also tobiano (piebald or skewbald) it's possible she's a very minimally marked tobiano. She too also has sabino.

The chestnuts mum was palamino and the dad a paint stallion (no idea officially what colour but skewbald to me!!). Does this mean that her genes are quite mixed up?

No - it just means that she could be 'coloured' - if she is she's very minimal but you could find out with genetic testing. If she is a minimal tobiano, she could throw coloured stock.

If her dad was frame, as opposed to tobiano, she could be a minimal frame.

Sorry - me again:D. Just remembered she also has some white on her bottom so slightly more coloured but is she white enough to be concidered skewbald?

For most coloured societies a horse must have a patch around 6" square above elbow and stifle. She may not qualify... but that does not mean she's not coloured.

So to describe her colour eg. insurance reasons or selling etc, would it be OK to call her Skewbald or just liver chestnut? Sorry I am picking your brain soo much:D

If she does carry frame or tobiano, yes, you could state that she does.

It's actually easy enough to test her, if you want to know for sure. Since there's a possibility she carries frame, I'd definitely have her tested for olws (overo lethal white) - if it comes back positive you should avoid breeding her to another frame horse as in homozygous form (two copies of it) the gene is lethal.

Tovero isn't a gene though. It's a term used to describe a horse that carries both tobiano and frame (overo).

Have you had your lad tested for frame? Can see both tobiano and splash in there but without a test for frame it's impossible to say if he is truly a tovero.

newrider.com