Overo, Sabino, Tobiano, Rabicano and Splashed White...

Crike this is confusing, your prob fed up of these questions but what are my girls.

My coloured cob Ive just always classed as a piebald. She does have unsolid edges to black and when wet and unclipped can look roany on bum in both black and white, also black and white splodges all over muzzle and 2 ermin marks?

My little dartmoor is bay but in the summer gets roaning around flanks belly an bum only, neck and shoulder stay bay? She has a small white bulb on one heal and a jaged star on belly but no other solid white?

??????????????????????

Attachments

• maddy and taffie 6-07 025.jpg
    maddy and taffie 6-07 025.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13
  • maddy and taffie 6-07 023.jpg
    maddy and taffie 6-07 023.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_0551.jpg
    100_0551.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 11
  • maddy and taffie 6-07 035.jpg
    maddy and taffie 6-07 035.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
wonderpony - no idea why they're called what they are! I'm interested because I'm basically an anorak that reads too much and should get out more...

And so on to overo.

Overo is the name given to a group of genes that includes sabino, rabicano, and anything else not tobiano! Probably the most widely recognised overo pattern is frame.

Frame overo has several obvious and distinct characteristics.

White does not cross the spine between withers and tail (it can cross over the neck).

Upper legs are generally dark, although there may be white on lower legs.

Head markings are bold and often accompanied by blue eyes.

Markings are irregular and scattered, although tending to be similar on both sides.

Tail is usually one colour.

Frame overo originates in Spanish horses, and is linked to Lethal White Syndrome.

Lethal Whites are horses homozygous for the frame overo gene - that is, they carry two copies. For some reason their intestines fail to develop properly, and the foals die. The only way to avoid this is by not breeding frame overo to frame overo. Because so many patterns including sabino and splashed white can appear so similar, the only way to ascertain whether a horse is a frame overo is through lab testing.

Not all white foals are Lethal whites though - if a foal is born white and survives, there's a very high chance that a combination of genes such as frame and sabino have expressed themselves to the point where base colour is hidden completely.

Really interesting!

you should be a lecturer! i'd actually listen to you!

im confused , i thought puzzle was a piebald, then i find out he could be splashed white now he could be something "ino" help me please chev...
or im gona have to knick your signature ....... coz my brain is stuffed full from uni....
and just to add insult to injury he goes tri coloured with brown in the summer!
im so looking forward to your answer thanks x

Attachments

• puzzle out.jpg
    puzzle out.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo-0388.jpg
    Photo-0388.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 10
hi

hi chev could i ask you what my 14.2 cob is then beacuse on his passport it just says chesnut
he has got lowds of white patches under his belly and ha got specks of white hair allin his coat thanks:D

Attachments

• 1029272388a5735457486l[1].jpg
    1029272388a5735457486l[1].jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00293.jpg
    DSC00293.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
I've been told that Icarus is a good example of a rabicano...

He's got the white legs, blaze and white chin, roaning on sides and quarters and splashes up his hind legs and under his tum and the distinctive tail greying at the top.

Am i right? (it's difficult to see the roaning in the photos)

Dressage2016110820018.jpg

Picture916.jpg

Picture913.jpg

Crike this is confusing, your prob fed up of these questions but what are my girls.

My coloured cob Ive just always classed as a piebald. She does have unsolid edges to black and when wet and unclipped can look roany on bum in both black and white, also black and white splodges all over muzzle and 2 ermin marks?

My little dartmoor is bay but in the summer gets roaning around flanks belly an bum only, neck and shoulder stay bay? She has a small white bulb on one heal and a jaged star on belly but no other solid white?

??????????????????????

Coloured would be called piebald, yes. I see tobiano, sabino and possibly splash in there too.

Dartie... doesn't look true roan but doesn't appear to have sabino either. Does she have any white at the top of her tail?

im confused , i thought puzzle was a piebald, then i find out he could be splashed white now he could be something "ino" help me please chev...
or im gona have to knick your signature ....... coz my brain is stuffed full from uni....
and just to add insult to injury he goes tri coloured with brown in the summer!
im so looking forward to your answer thanks x

Tobiano and sabino. :) The going brown in the summer could be down to fading or he could be a very very dark bay. I'd guess he's faading though.

I've been told that Icarus is a good example of a rabicano...

He's got the white legs, blaze and white chin, roaning on sides and quarters and splashes up his hind legs and under his tum and the distinctive tail greying at the top.

Am i right? (it's difficult to see the roaning in the photos)

Dressage2016110820018.jpg

Picture916.jpg

Picture913.jpg

Yep, that looks like rabicano :)

:confused::confused::confused: I've just come across this thread and had a quick read through but I'm confused. Basically a solid coloured horse bay/chestnut with white stockings and blaze are not really bays and chestnuts but sabinos? Is that right?

There is a horse on my yard who is jet black (with a few white hairs, probably due to age) but has a silver mane and tail. What colour is she?

:confused::confused::confused: I've just come across this thread and had a quick read through but I'm confused. Basically a solid coloured horse bay/chestnut with white stockings and blaze are not really bays and chestnuts but sabinos? Is that right?

Sort of. They're still bay, or chestnut, or whatever. It just means they carry a gene that causes white legs and faces. You can called them bay sabino, or chestnut sabino if you want to but they are still bay (or whatever) regardless of what white they have. Calling them 'bay with socks' is just as correct.

There is a horse on my yard who is jet black (with a few white hairs, probably due to age) but has a silver mane and tail. What colour is she?

Sounds really interesting. Do you have any pics?

Ah I get it now :eek: !

I only have a headshot of the mare. She's an old girl so is getting a few grey hairs! But in summer she has a lovely glossy black coat. Her tail is the same silver as her mane.

Genie.jpg

She's a strange one!

Not silver dapple because the black on her head and body is not dilute. Not dark liver chestnut either.

She obviously has sabino looking at her face... sabino can result in white or grey tails and manes so my guess would be that it's sabino doing funky things with hers.

This is a liver chestnut mare I used to own - sabino has had a similar effect on her mane and tail too.

cleverTia.jpg

Coloured would be called piebald, yes. I see tobiano, sabino and possibly splash in there too.

Dartie... doesn't look true roan but doesn't appear to have sabino either. Does she have any white at the top of her tail?

No she doesnt, mane and tail completely solid.

Thanks for this do appreciate it!!

Hi Chev

I would be interested to know what the markings on my shetland are about, if anything, he is quite unusual (in more than just colouring :D:D)

When I first got him approx 18mth i think

1stpicsmudge.jpg

Approx 5 months later

Bighead.jpg

At 7 just after a bath (both of us!!!! :mad:)

Smudge1.jpg

And last winter i think, the only full view I can find currently

Smudge26jan08.jpg

Thanks in advance, i've always thought him odd :)D) and then discovered this thread so would love to know what the black patch is all about, it's like a boomerang shape, fairly even on both sides.

Last edited:
That is really strange. He's obviously black tobiano gone grey - why that patch hasn't greyed along with the rest of him is a really interesting question.

Will have to do some research and get back to you on that one!

Last edited:
Here is my rabicano boy - from the saddle back he looks "faded". He is a quarter horse and apprently its quite a common gene in them...

It was nice to learn more, thanks Chev!

Ready for a ride!2.jpg

newrider.com