Please Hold Me Accountable

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Lost my riding mojo during the summer due to various things and have been doing lots of groundwork lately preparing to get back on but somehow it hasn't happened yet. So please can you lot hold me to my promise that this weekend I will get on my horse. Part of me is gagging to ride and I want to satisfy that part, I've just been so lazy and unenthusiastic of late and the confidence demons don't help.

Come on FM, you can do it gal!! :tongue:

Get it into your routine and you may find it easier. That first go is always the worst after a long break, but you WILL be fine.

Before our yard move i hadnt ridden properly for 2-3 months, moved nearly 2 weeks ago and have ridden solidly for the whole time being here.
I find it much easier once on a 'role' if you know what i mean, and ive made it so riding is just part of my usual day to day routine. I now find myself feeling gutted if i see the weather taking a turn for the worst...where as before i was like 'YES another excuse not to ride hehe!'

Let us know how you get on, remember positive thoughts!! x:biggrin:

If I had the urge myself, I'd be right behind you, FM but as I was poo-picking this morning in glorious sunshine, I thought "Lovely day to be riding. Wish I wanted to...." The first 10 days of Joey's time off for his poorly back, I was gagging to be up there, but now I really don't mind so I'm going to be asking the same as you when Mr Pooh gives me the green light....

Lost my riding mojo during the summer due to various things and have been doing lots of groundwork lately preparing to get back on but somehow it hasn't happened yet. So please can you lot hold me to my promise that this weekend I will get on my horse. Part of me is gagging to ride and I want to satisfy that part, I've just been so lazy and unenthusiastic of late and the confidence demons don't help.

Okay, if you do it, I'll do it..... I'm in exactly the same place....Come on, We might even enjoy it!!!

I will be watching the posts....

:sluggish:

Of course you can do it. Just go with the aim of getting on, walking for 5 minutes and then getting off again. If you do more than that, that's great but don't put loads of pressure on yourself.

We are all behind you. You can do it, you just need some self belief.

I shall be both PM'ing you and texting you to make sure you do!!!

You will be absolutely fine, and so will Flip. And then you can have a lovely large celebratory drink on Saturday night!

Yae, I'll feel even more committed to the cause with you trying as well Maggiemooo!
I'm going to attempt for tomorrow morning. I know I'm fine once I'm in the saddle, its the mounting thing that stands in my way and unfortunately my mate is away for the weekend so I will be flying solo, but I've had Flip for three years, I need to just get on with this. If I take my time, be patient, keep putting him back in position and focus on the fact that I WILL eventually get on, then Flip's fidgeting because of my nerves, will not stand in our way.
Even if as you say MP, its just for five minutes, then at least I've broken the seal so to speak and will build on it from there. SJP1's words 'the more you do it, the easier it becomes!' definitely time to get back on the horse......poor horse!

Even if you just get on, sit there for a while & get off again, it's progress.

And I've done that before and been on top of the moon afterwards (clearly, I'm a cheap date & easily pleased!)

Even if you just get on, sit there for a while & get off again, it's progress.

And I've done that before and been on top of the moon afterwards (clearly, I'm a cheap date & easily pleased!)

Lol, me too! when Storm bucked me off a few winters ago, I just was so pleased with myself if I managed to climb on board, sit for a few seconds and get back off in one piece! I then progressed to lead-rein.............

I get a bit like this at times. I think it is because I have my horses at home so it is a bit billy no mates and because there is no one else horsey around it makes it all a bit boring at times.

I am lookin forward to (if and when we move house) having Victory on a yard where there are other horsey people who will hopefully give me a kick up the bum and make it more exciting like the old days at the yard :biggrin:

You can do it! Let us know how you get on.

After spending the best part of this year not riding due to confidence issues and lameness, since buying wonderpony there's no stopping me! Do it! You will feel better if you do and if you don't enjoy it you can always get off :D

well you know the answer (if you read the blog!!) -- get on, get off, get on, get off -- get those mounting demons SORTED and get on and off until you are FINE getting on -- make THAT tomorrow's gameplan and it will pay HUGE dividends in the future!!

When I ride a new horse, or one I haven't ridden for a while -- it is a HUGE temptation to get on and just do stuff once I am on -- but I have learned that getting on and off ten times makes a massive difference not only THAT day, but on every day that follows.....

mount and dismount until the mounting is below a five..

then you won't have to go through this again....

here's a blog I wrote in answer to exactly this issue of being ok once on, but not happy about mounting:

http://effectivehorsemanship.wordpr...scared-of-mounting-when-i-am-fine-once-im-on/

I know you are not scared, just nervous -- but something might resonate with you and make things easier for you

xxx

Cathy

And also remember what my YO says 'a horse only knows what it has done'

So if your horse hasn't been on fun rides, ridden out with loads of horses, ridden out by itself, it can't know and it can't necessarily be OK with it all.

For me, this was the biggest eye opener. Because I always related Tobes behaviour to my friends very laid back, can barely move cob, I thought there was an issue with him. I now understand that actually he is absolutely fine ONCE HE HAS DONE STUFF two or three or four times, then it is no longer a problem.

And as she says, yes, you sometimes have to go through a bit of cr**p, but they will come out the other side. Sit tight and kick on, and make them listen to you, because if you don't, they will have a whole different idea to what you do. And I have found, she is actually dead right.

Probably a bit of an old fashioned view, but you can always temper the sit tight and kick on, with disengaging, or whatever helps. When Tobes was going through his nappy planting and backing up in the yard, I had her yelling at me 'boot him on, use your crop'. I was quite shocked as I had chosen the very placid 'he will get bored of it' route. Sadly, he didn't get bored and was a proper little sh..t but quickly tired of the booting and crop method!! She also said though, if he has fun, he won't nap, and to be honest, he has completely forgotten about napping now.

So, in my long and rambling way, what I am trying to say is, Flip may have a few issues, getting on and off is a really good idea, as many times as you like, but as well as my mantra of 'the more you do it the easier it gets', I also think YO's mantra of 'horses only know what they have done' is also very true. The more Flip does, the more being mounted, being ridden, alone, in company, the easier it will be for him and also for you.

I have noticed over the last fortnight, with Tobes leg and lameness and eye infection, he has become a proper spooky nightmare. As he is now sound and of good vision, work is what will sort it with him. The more time he has, his saying is 'the devil makes work for idle hooves'!!!

newrider.com